Why do I hate drug and love progressive metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagen_hd

New Metal Member
May 17, 2008
The origin of progressive metal is partly progressive rock, progressive rock developed from psychedelic rock, and psychedelic rock is named after psychedelic drug. I HATE psychedelic drug (and any drug for that matter), but I LOVE progressive metal. I have never taken drugs in my life, and firmly believe that they are evil and wrong. I'm a good person.

FYI, here is a list of the progressive metal albums that I have heard and loved:
Opeth - Blackwater Park, Still Life, Deliverance
Tool - Lateralus, Ænima
Iced Earth - Alive in Athens (yeah I know it's power metal, but for some reason it sounds like progressive metal to me)
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere, In Absentia, The Sky Moves Sideways, Fear of a Blank Planet
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane
Cynic - Focus (technical death metal, very similar to my favorite progressive metal)

And here is a list of music that I really hate and have always hated:
punk, gothic rock, gothic metal, doom metal, black metal, grunge, brutal death metal, metalcore, grindcore, hardcore punk, Boris

And here is a list of music that I used to like, but now don't like that much because they're related to punk:
post-punk, proto-punk, thrash metal, London Calling

Note that at the same time when I fell in love with progressive metal, the entire punk genre started to sound bad to me. Therefore I have two musical phases here: post-punk phase and progressive metal phase.

Analyze my music taste and why I hate drugs while loving prog. Thanks.

You should check out Sieges Even...

...although I'm not entirely sure of the point of this post. You don't do drugs. Good for you.

EDIT: and careful hanging around here too long, you might start to like black metal :cool:

I don't really think that Prog and Psychedelic are particularily well-connected in origin. Psychedelic was intended to be a style of music that attempted to recreate drug trips, while Proggresive and Art rock usually involved classically trained musicians who were playing rock music, and incorperated more technicality and theory use into the music.

That being said, I think drugs are fucking lame and have adopted a 'never have, never will' policy with them but I don't let drugs or the idea of them influence my musical tastes

You don't like thrash metal? there's something seriously wrong with you!

I don't think there's a drug to change what you like, if you think it's good music then you're going to like it, you're not going to change because people think it's shite music.

What I'm asking here is, isn't psychedelic drug the foundation of progressive metal?

another good point is brought up in Tool - "Third Eye":
"See, I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do, and if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight and take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your CDs and burn 'em. Cause you know what? The musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Rrrrreal fuckin' high on drugs."
Which means, the musicians take drugs, and the listeners don't have to. Listeners can choose whether they want to hear drug from the music.

I don't really think that Prog and Psychedelic are particularily well-connected in origin.

I don't let drugs or the idea of them influence my musical tastes

That's what I will have to do. Thank you for pointing me towards a nice direction.

You don't like thrash metal? there's something seriously wrong with you!

Are Metallica and Megadeth thrash or not? I heard that they're speed metal, not thrash. If I'm angry enough, or happy (in a violent way) enough, I like them.

DONT POST THIS BIG ANYMORE PLEASE!

Anyways, prog is not always related to drugs.

OK I'm like your great-grandfather on rateyourmusic.com, judging from the number of ratings and the join date. And you won't find out where my RYM page is.
And I just edited my previous post, so YOU are the only one posting "this big" here.

After all, I still need your explanations of why "prog is not always related to ******. You mean prog is sometimes related to drugs? When would that be?

This thread would've been better off in the recommendation sub-forum, only you're not really looking for recommendations, are you? It's all about attention, the exclusive life-support of all internet troglodytes

So, to wrap it up, you're a good person who hates drugs, likes a particular genre of music and dislikes all the rest. And you've even made a list of what you used to like, and so want to be analyzed by others based on that.
Wow, it must be very exciting being you, I would so want to be you if I weren't somebody else. Only I don't ride trolleybuses. Not since the age of 9, anyway.

Nothing strange about that. Lots of people like "drug" music but don't do any drugs. In fact, all of the people I know who love psychadelic rock have never even smoked a cigarette! Totally "straight edge", and they get pissed as fuck when people think they do drugs just because they listen to Pink Floyd.

I actually understand both sides of the equation really well because 5 years ago the only shit I EVER listened to was classic rock and Pink Floyd and The Doors and Quicksilver Messenger Service where my favorite bands. And that was before I had ever done any drugs. But I've changed a hell of a lot since then... and now all that old stuff... I need to be on drugs to truly understand it.

I WISH drugs were the basis of progressive metal. Not even close though. A lot of prog bands are straight edge, or at least not heavily into drugs. It's a blatant misconception that you have to be on drugs to create that kind of stuff or understand it. Probably comes from people like (the current) me who DO need drugs for that, but that's just ONE taste. Other people understand it without drugs. And I'm sure there are some people out there who can't enjoy Fugazi without drugs, but that doesn't mean Fugazi is drug music.

I don't really think that Prog and Psychedelic are particularily well-connected in origin. Psychedelic was intended to be a style of music that attempted to recreate drug trips, while Proggresive and Art rock usually involved classically trained musicians who were playing rock music, and incorperated more technicality and theory use into the music.

That being said, I think drugs are fucking lame and have adopted a 'never have, never will' policy with them but I don't let drugs or the idea of them influence my musical tastes

Have to agree there! You an Oiler fan?

This thread is stupid. It's like someone who doesn't do drugs and likes Phish and the Greatful Dead asking why they like their music. And prog metal isn't associated nearly as heavily with drug use. There is no music that only drug users like, though on the whole, drug users do tend to be more into music than the average joe. The only thing I can think of is drugs inspiring creativity, but drugs aren't needed to create any kind of music.

Status
Not open for further replies.