Anyone else, enjoying the non-metal parts more than the metal parts?

Metal is not party music, it is not meant for that hip-hop beat and rythem. The entire structure of the songs is different, and past the music the outlook is completly in contrast with the introspective angst nu metal promotes.

Actually a lot of alt-metal bands don't even use the hip-hop beat. Only some. And not all deal with angst. In fact, some are geniuinely angry, and others are socio-political. Some are mindless, yes, but the music is catchy enough so that you don't notice.

LOL

I think that is the point of calling it mallcore :D
But 'dat don't make it bad, dawg. Y'all can't be shooting down my props so damn much or I'll be getting my homies on yo ass right quick G.

Peace!

anonymousnick2001 said:
LOL

But 'dat don't make it bad, dawg. Y'all can't be shooting down my props so damn much or I'll be getting my homies on yo ass right quick G.

Peace!

Well you did kind of shoot yourself in the foot there.

"Yeah Nu-Metal is credible, but if it isn't, it's good enough so you can ignore what it's about and just 'jump' or 'bounce'"

Self defeating arguement.

Excessive, maybe...but minor experimentation and dabbling is much better than a stagnant "we're a fuckin' heavy metal band motherfucker not some fucking proggy band you fuckin piece of fuckin'...uh...uh, Slayer rules!"

So mix away!

"Yeah Nu-Metal is credible, but if it isn't, it's good enough so you can ignore what it's about and just 'jump' or 'bounce'"

Self defeating arguement.
I've got to learn to think before I speak...

I meant that most of the genre is 'credible,' and some of it isn't. But the ones that aren't are still so damn good at 'jump up and get down fool' stuff that's still heavy and listenable that I don't think they should be written off as nothings.

This mainstream metal bashing thing is such a trend, and it makes me sick. I enjoy the people who don't like the style and are respectful to those who do and engage in as much common ground conversation as they can.

Necro Joe said:
So back to topic, adding excesive musical styles and influences is a sign of a creativly bankrupt band with nothing new to offer. Anyone disagree?

I would disagree, in some levels.

Take Ulver or Bathory would you take the change of Bathory, from Thrash to Black to some strange Viking-Power thing as a downward progession.

I was talking to Jeff from Carcass in my local :D and I suppose the question that everyone asks him, is "why did you start off as Grind pioneers and turn into Iron Maiden?"

He basically said that the stuff he was into changed and you can't expect to continue to make the same music if your taste changes, which makes a lot of sense, and I wouldn't call their change for the worse, as most people seem to hail Heartwork as a masterpiece.

Anathema on the other hand...

Me and Jeff were skitting them(they drink in the same pub :D ) for turning into an Indie band but he could understand why it had happened, tastes change, also trends change(see: Metallica turning into SOAD) so I think incorporating other influences into your music is not bad, it shows a open-ness and willing-ness to diversify, just a shame that most bands seem to go backwards

It really depends. Sometimes I like my metal pure but some other music incorporated into it can be good. Some non-metal that is close to metal can mix well like grindcore or hardcore. Thrash Metal came up thanks to hardcore, so that's great even though people seem to think it as being pure metal. But sometimes its a bad idea to add some non-metal genre into heavy metal like emo for example. That's like a terrible mix. It's like eating fish with jam on it.

Just listen to Cynic, fuses an abstract jazz influence with metal riffs.
Opeth definitely with their use of acoustic guitars
Agalloch with their folk music influence.

It just all matters how well the non-metal parts work.

Necro Joe said:
Including outside influences = scraping the barrel.
I think it's "coming out of the barrel".
Do any of these bands need to use pointless non-metallic influences? No, because they can all either expand on existing ideas of come up with new ones of their own.
Can't someone come up with ideas for songs using different genres than metal?
Or is the most creative way to write music to limit yourself to a single genre, sounds backwards to me.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Excessive, maybe...but minor experimentation and dabbling is much better than a stagnant "we're a fuckin' heavy metal band motherfucker not some fucking proggy band you fuckin piece of fuckin'...uh...uh, Slayer rules!"

So mix away!
I agree!
I'm so tired of that angry metalfan speech, such a stereotype and still ALOT of people live up to it. If metalbands did not experiment using different influences (where you can get alot of good ideas) I would not listen to metal to the degree that I do today.

It's a very free and open form of music, and that's why I like it.

Theli said:
I think it's "coming out of the barrel".
As in what? Not being "limited" to metal any more? Since when was metal a limited genre.

Theli said:
Can't someone come up with ideas for songs using different genres than metal? Or is the most creative way to write music to limit yourself to a single genre, sounds backwards to me.
As I've already said all bands include some outside influences, but this whole idea that the new styles are somehow replacing the metal as the highlight of a bands material is absurd. If that's happening to you it just means you're not listening to a good metal band. If a band can write a good metal song then usually outside influences are either used sparingly (alongside the metal) or not at all. Including a string/horn/acoustic/choir/rap/techno section to make up for your lack of riffs and songwriting is definatly not creative.