Can anything truly "new" be done with metal?

Pull The Plug said:
When you look at something that is stupidity, it is usually never beyond your understanding. Thus, this is not. Its just one of the poorest arguments i've ever read, he tears himself to pieces in the one post.

Note the repetitive use of nerd and he himself tells us of his lack of understanding of math based music, just the finer points of his idiocy. Besides he defines Psyopus as a band that think they are innovative because they use scales.

:lol:

Have you ever played a guitar,etc.. before. When you know something maybe you will not name drop metalcore bands when trying to show someone technical,original,innovating,intelligent bands.

Why else did no one in the thread mention The End,etc.. besides you ?

Because you're stupid.

I've never heard anyone find those bands technical,intelligent,etc.. besides scensters and people that have not looked into music.

J Mann said:
What you are calling for is completely new genre within metal, correct? Something that has nothing to do with what has already been created elsewhere in the musical landscape? No wonder you can't precieve anything as a "fresh" sounding, because nothing can fit into that category.

Black Metal was a response to DM and therefore by your logic, not entirely new. DM grew out of Thrash and Thrash grew out of Heavy and Speed Metal. Progressive Metal grew out of Progressive Rock and so on. None of these genres are wholfully original in the truest sense so I guess nothing new has ever been done with metal?

Bullshit. Lots of innovation has been done within metal, it just so happens that influences often come from outside the genre to create something orginial within it. Post-Rock has now been given a metal context with bands like Isis, Pelican, Russian Circles, and Red Sparowes. Later Enslaved is similar, bringing in the prog rock influences of the 70's and fusing it with Black Metal to create something new within the context of the genre. But of course none of that is "new" in actuality.

I can see what your saying, but it is blown out of proportion to discount new sludge or progressive/avant-garde BM bands because they aren't early Burzum. Whether you care to admit it or not, Burzum just expanded metal in a different direction and sludge and avant-garde do the same but in a different way.

I agree with this post ^.

The Greys said:
:lol:

Have you ever played a guitar,etc.. before. When you know something maybe you will not name drop metalcore bands when trying to show someone technical,original,innovating,intelligent bands.

Because you're stupid.

Ahh wanker, you are talking to the wrong person. I didnt list any bands. ;) Look back a bit.

I think anything can be done with metal it only takes a single creative mind. Too many people are following the trends now. Metal took a dip in the early 80's during the grunge build up and then new things were done... Now during that the trendy hard rock/nu metal is dying out... Someone needs something big. Metalcore is NOT it. It sounds like a continuation of nu-metal and the metal scene doesn't need that.

The Bringer said:
Metalcore is NOT it. It sounds like a continuation of nu-metal and the metal scene doesn't need that.

yes

listen to the bringer.

The formula of heavy metal music has been perfected; there is no need to alter it any further. Look at symphonic music, major advances in that art form have not occurred for about 150 years. Because a genre of music stops changing, it doesn't mean it is stagnant, it could be because it is mature. Thus, metal may have finally reached an "adulthood" of sorts, and will exist as basically the same art form, with its "ups and downs" (quality-wise).

Since this was for me (you fucking idiot)...

The Greys said:
Have you ever played a guitar,etc.. before.

For about a decade. And bass. And drums. And piano. Along with a handful of other string and wind instruments.

Because I'm teh uber-hip mutha.

I've never heard anyone find those bands technical,intelligent,etc...

Because you are a fanboy faggot and you hang out with fanboy faggots, if indeed you have friends.

Susperia said:
When I see denim and leather (both of which I'm not a fan of) and spikes I think of 80's hair bands. I don't think that has anything to do with Metal today. Long hair and black, however, does.

This is a debate with no winners or losers. Kind of reminds me when Catholics question Anglicans, Baptists and Protestants about their faith. Same end result, just different paths. But everyone gets their shit in a knot just the same!

For those here from the Old School like me, we all remember the days when Maiden and Priest blew are heads off with massive stage productions like Powerlave and Defenders. If you're 30 or under, it's probably before your time.....and you just don't get it. But it shouldn't be like that. It's the foundation that paved the way for what you listen to today. Including the gigs. If you ever wondered where it came from.....look no further than bands like Priest, Maiden.....and KISS. That's how professionals do it. And they're still doing it. That's why they're back.....because the cream rises to the top. And what made them stars then has made them legends now. It's called professionalism. And you can't fake that.

MANSFIELD035.jpg
125.jpg

Ahahahaha I love this guy, the best thing is how cinematic his posts seem with narrative font, descriptive writing and action shots.

You haven't seen any fan tricks until you've seen Steve Vai. I think he probably also got a PhD in "looking awesome on stage" from Berklee besides the guitar stuff. They're so fucking liberal, they'd probably give you a degree in that too. :loco:

041.jpg

The Bringer said:
LMAO! I love the fan blowing the dudes hair so it looks like the killer solo/riff is blowing him away!

I've heard Erik Rutan pays a fan to hold a fan upfront near him when he's playing live!