Why I think metal is genius...

I don't see why not, unless it's some kind of genetic thing like how some people can't curl their tongue. But the technique seems like anyone could do it, although granted it would be easier for some people to mentally figure out how to do it than others. And naturally some people will be more talented at getting certain sounds or getting a variety of sounds.

But I see no reason why anybody wouldn't be able to produce some form of harsh vocal with 0 throat pain.

I'm no metal vocalist. All I know from experience is that doing gigs screaming every night is a FUCK LOAD harder than doing gigs singing without screaming every night. So I can only assume that screaming in a metal band is more trying than singing in a Neil Young cover band. When it's happening consistently.

There are plenty of good metal bands with not so great musicianship and plenty of bad ones that are excellent musicians.

This is so true. I am so bored with receiving promo blurbs from some soul less PR fuck telling me that BAND-X have "amazing technical playing" and are "up there" with Atheist, Cynic, Necrophagist etc etc etc. All that skill don't know jack about shit if it ain't used to construct an interesting, you know, song ?

By way of contrast, chuck me on some Hellhammer or put Morbid Tales on the CD player, and I'm a happy man. I'm not really sure why I like metal so much, but at least in part I suspect it's something to do with Rob Halford, leather outfits and those dreamy little caps he wears. Hmmmmmmmmm:headbang:

i cant stand how little respect it gets, people are like omg blink 182 drummer is one of the best in the world, while a lot of metal drummers could kick his ass, lets see him break 300 bpm

no he doesn't need speed...metal drumming is sooooo fucking technical, he won't be able to handle it..and yes he wont be able to work double bass pedals. He is a punk drummer, but playing with a second pedal opens up new horizons and makes music much more interesting IMO(ah, it's fucking fact, hehe). Damn...what would metal be like if double pedals weren't introduced?

I agree. This thread is about metal being amazing, and why this dude thinks it is. It devolved into an argument about whether or not screaming is difficult and takes talent rather than the technique, and a discussion in drumming, centered mostly on mainstream drummers compared to metal drummers. This concludes Ender's class on UM Thread Studies 101.

I'm :Smokin:

This is a decent argument for one aspect of metal (technicality), but this is only part of the metal equation. What amazes me about metal is the passion and creativity that you will simply not find in many other genres of music. It keeps evolving and while many metal sub-genres do become stagnant, there always seems to be be bands pushing the limits that stand out from the crowd.

Metal to me is more about the atmosphere the final product is able to deliver, rather than quickly how the individual behind drums can tap feet.

I agree. The only genres that are on average more complex than metal are classical music, jazz (though I do not like jazz, I acknowledge this fact), and "shred" guitar rock (which in some cases actually is metal anyways). Mainstream rock, indie, hip hop, r & b, etc. can't touch metal in terms of musical complexity.

Why the hell does complexity have to be a factor as to why metal is genius? I'll smack a chair on a piano's keys. That'll be a pretty complex and thus brilliant genre of music, don't you think?

Hey its music to me buddy. Not my fault you listen to accessible and commercial genres like metal. All the complex stuff's in the underground.

A lot of underground metal is more complex and/or musically sophisticated than a lot of jazz, vaguely speaking of course...and shred guitar rock? Are you serious? Most of that is aimless noodling, paling in comparison to tightly knit black or progressive metal pieces.

Most complex and technical Metal fucking sucks outside of bands such as Atheist, Gorguts, and their ilk. Fuck that shit, that has NOTHING to do with what makes Metal so great.

Agreed to the fucking max. It's something indefineable, to me at least. I'm so fickle with a lot of my other tastes, and yet I've been listening to metal, almost exclusively, for the last 22 years or so. I wouldn't call Morbid Tales very complex, or indeed skillful, but I still listen to it at least once a week.:kickass:

i cant stand how little respect it gets, people are like omg blink 182 drummer is one of the best in the world, while a lot of metal drummers could kick his ass, lets see him break 300 bpm

i had him listen to
absu: phase two- the cythraul klan's scrutiny- stone of destiny...

and he said the dude from blink 182 could easily blast that fast:OMG: o_O :puke: :erk: :zombie: