So....Is it possible to be innovative in Metal anymore?

zabrak

New Metal Member
Jun 20, 2012
You know, I was checking out sub genres in Metal earlier, and I guess I'm asking if there's any innovative metal groups around anymore

I mean think about it, when's the last time there's been a hot new metal genre? The 90s, right?

you know..Folk Metal, Drone Metal, Black Metal, Death metal (okay last two genres were 80s, but they really came into their own genre in the 90s)...a few other genres I'm sure that came from the 90s that I'm forgetting

That's not say to that there hasn't' been a plethora of great 2000s metal bands, but c'mon guys, they've just been expanding on what's been established previously. There's really been no new sub genre of Metal that grabbed the community by the balls and went "THIS IS THE METAL YOU WILL BE WANTING TO PLAY FOR NOW ON". Something that started a new way to play metal, where bands across the world adapted to it. I'm telling you, the las time we've seen something like that was in the 90s

Has Metal reached it plateau?

Sub-genres are basically meaningless in the grand scheme of metal innovation. Folk metal is a gimmick and barely even a real thing, whereas black and death metal are catch-all terms that encompass dozens of disparate styles of metal, a number of which certainly did not exist at their respective coinings.

Metal will never reach its plateau. Give it some more time, because people will start to unlock new keys to the riffs, opening tons of more possibilities for metal in general. That's what I think anyway, I'm sure it will happen.

Actually you know what? There is some 2000s genres:

Djent
Shoegaze (typically involved with black metal)
Post-metal

there's a few god awful -core genres too, for what it's worth

Hell, I suppose Power Metal may have came into it's own in the 2000s. Well it kind of kicked off in the late 90s, but really-really came to be its own thing in the 2000s. I'm still pretty sure that folk metal was already its own modern trend during the 90s though?

Anyway, so i suppose there is a few strictly 2000s metal genres though, that I listed. I'm probably (HOPEFULLY) missing out on more

dont rly understand the fuzz about all the genres and making "new" stuff.
ofc it´s possible to create new and good music, and It can always get better ;)

just create what music you like!

Also I think everyband got something uniqe, I mean ofc 4-6 ppl compared to 4-6 other isnt gonne be the same. So everyband is something new imo

Sub-genres are basically meaningless in the grand scheme of metal innovation. Folk metal is a gimmick and barely even a real thing, whereas black and death metal are catch-all terms that encompass dozens of disparate styles of metal, a number of which certainly did not exist at their respective coinings.

well, there is some sub genres. But sometimes you hear something new. And then what band is in this genre? Well 1 or 2. So basicly a band created a new genre --> read my post above.

But when you say black and death metal, those are actually alot diffrent. I think you can go as far as saying djent. But all the sub genres there after is a fkking joke, dont even name it..

There is no metal genre that is "doing great", but a few albums come out each year that are fun listens.

There is no metal genre that is "doing great", but a few albums come out each year that are fun listens.

While it's taken me a while to appreciate it (or for bands to mature within the genre) I am finding more and more great Djent bands (as much as people seem to instantly hate the word or the music). I would think Djent has established itself as a subgenre and also removed itself from the whole "Nu Metal" comparison.

I'm really loving the new Persefone album in particular.

I think metal's future is in the effects and new instruments like the current 8 string phenomenon. it's one way to push the 12 note system forward and be innovative like Hendrix at his time or Meshuggah and A.a.s now.

I think metal is in a pretty innovative state right now. There seems to be a band doing something awesome/different at every corner. Black metal is a good example of innovation right now if you dig into some of the artsy shit.

It's not really about innovating the genre with new sounds and styles, but more about creating new and fresh ideas already established in the genres. New atmospheres and concepts are more interesting than whole new styles. Beherit's album "Engram" isn't "innovative" in regards to style, but its concept is so far removed from most black metal these days. "Engram" is a nod to the past and a look towards the future.