Definition of metal

Definition of Metal = this pic.

morbidangel.jpg

I'm pretty sure all metal has a heavily distorted guitar in it. That's the only necessary element I can think of. Besides that, the next most important thing is probly that the guitar plays a bit part in the rhythm of the music - "chugga chugga chugga", etc.

I wouldn't say this is 100% accurate, Apocalyptica plays metal just fine without any guitars. To me instruments don't really define a genre, it's more about the emotion and the composition that really decide what genre it is. Because I think that is what is the biggest separator between Rock and Metal. Not just that Metal is heavier, but there's a whole different feel to it and style of play.

Yeah you could probably define genres/subgenres by taking a look at the defining bands.

"Metal" in general: makes me think of NWOBHM bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, for some reason.

Death Metal: Morbid Angel, Death (first two albums anyway), Obituary, all those buggers

Black Metal: Early Bathory, Emperor, Darkthrone, etc

Power Metal: Blind Guardian and... fuck, I'm not really too familiar with this genre. Dragonforce, Nevermore, and Symphony X are power-y, I suppose.

Prog Metal: Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Queensryche

Same is true for the more specific subdivisions (Suffocation, Nile, Cryptopsy are all example of tech-death, Opeth is prog-death, Meshuggah is prog/"math" metal, and so forth).

^:lol: I wish I could do a mid growl like Vincent, all I can do is highs, lows, and deep lows(like Karl Sanders and Mortician). I'm probbaly not doing the mid growl right. :lol: