What do you think about the future of Metal?

I don't think about the future much. I figure I've got so much backlogged music to check out, and so much good music already in my library there's really not much to worry about.

Right now it seems to be popular to do some ultra-plastic tech-death nerd music, all kinds of gay metal/death/emocore with pseudo-hardcore growls and cheesy autotune choruses or artsy hipster black metal, but no matter what the current trend is, there will always be bands in every genre, so I don't care what metal-trends there will be now or in the future.

But most new metal sucks anyway, though there are countless bands and albums from the 80's and 90's I can listen to, so whatever.

I don't know if I'd describe metal like that necessarily. It's definitely not most concerned with catchy choruses and danceable beats but I would hardly say the classic bands like Possessed and Venom are appreciated for musical virtuosity as much as attitude/aesthetic/etc.

While that is true for Possessed and Venom, think about metal's early days: Black Sabbath and Judas Priest had incredible skill, that was comparable to the other great players of their day. One could argue that Tony Iommi had just as much talent as Miles Davis.