What do you guys think about the French Metal Scene ?

opethmaniac

Feb 19, 2003
Visit site
Just wondering..
Coz i'm french and, for a long time, the French Metal Scene had a so bad reputation ..."good but not original", "boring", "bad musicians"...
But i think this period is obsolete now coz we have excellent bands like Loudblast (they're back!!), Scarve, No Return...
Not original ? Listen to Gojira or Carnival In Coal you guys won't be disappointed, i promise !! Shagrath from DImmu Borgir said, about the first Carnival In Coal album "VivaLaVida" , that it was the more original album he has heard for ages...
Bad musicians ? Dirk Verbeuren, for example , plays the drums for Aborted , Misanthrope or Scarve !!
So what do you think about the French Metal Scene ? What bands do you know / like ?

The French have had a good deal of well-respected bands, many of whom are still active:
Ad Hominem*
Antaeus*
Belenos*
Belketre
Black Murder
Blut Aus Nord*
Deathspell Omega*
Genocide Kommando*
Gestapo 666*
Griffar*
Kristallnacht
Massacra
Mutiilation*
Nehemah*
Seigneur Voland
Vlad Tepes

*active

I would recommend Mirrorthrone to just about anyone interested in perusing the French metal scene.

Apart from that, I've recently enjoyed Blut Aus Nord's "The Work Which Transforms God." It's beyond exceptional especially if you possess an affinity for ambient music with an unusual flair.

The only French metal band I currently listen to is Blut Aus Nord, who are very good and very original. Try them out if you want to hear some extreemly fark and suicidal black metal. Most the other bands I've heard fit into the "good but unoriginal" catagory, which usally means I won't listen for very long. Anyone wanna sugest some other original French BM?

Do the french have a healthy metal scene? i just cant picture a frenchman headbanging, its not stylish enough.

What are you implying? That the French aren't dirty and ill-kempt like us Americans so therefore they are incapable of listening to metal? Let me ask you, Have you ever examined the painfully-minimal effort they exert on their narrow shower systems built for a dwarf? Have you ever sampled the horribly-pungent BO stench of a frenchman's greasy, unwashed armpits at an airport seeping into your nasal pores, causing you to cringe uncontrollably? Have you even ever waited in the elevator of the Eiffel Tower deliberating how much everybody smells and how direly you wish to be anywhere else but here, or in any other country whose citizens shower at a rate of more than weekly? I think not. Try traveling to France, and then re-evaluate your opinion on the "cleanliness" of the so-called "self-conscious inhabitants."

Excellent black metal..
Nehëmah, Himinbjørg, Blessed In Sin, Kristallnacht, Antaeus, Temple Of Baal, Ad Hominem, Deathspell Omega, Mütiilation, Belketre, Torgeist, Vlad Tepes, Brenoritvrezorkre, Black Murder, etc..

Mirrorthrone is Swiss, isn't it?

Ah! Indeed, you are correct. I felt like an imbecile upon hearing that, remembering that I had once corrected somebody else on the same matter...nothing like being smacked in the face with the firm sledgehammer of fallacy.

Guardian of Darkness said:
The French have had a good deal of well-respected bands, many of whom are still active:
Ad Hominem*
Antaeus*
Belenos*
Belketre
Black Murder
Blut Aus Nord*
Deathspell Omega*
Genocide Kommando*
Gestapo 666*
Griffar*
Kristallnacht
Massacra
Mutiilation*
Nehemah*
Seigneur Voland
Vlad Tepes

*active

What he said.

I respect the French BM scene, I say only the BM scene because I haven't heard any other styles yet out of that region.

IMO, most of the new/good black acts are coming out of the US and France at this time.

Winterfall said:
I respect the French BM scene, I say only the BM scene because I haven't heard any other styles yet out of that region.

IMO, most of the new/good black acts are coming out of the US and France at this time.

Don't forget Germany.

Disciple man it was sort of a joke- i never implied they were dirty, just style conscious. jesus, if one cant joke about the french what country can one joke about? Well i guess america is pretty damn funny in a sick twisted sort of way.