What is nu-metal?

medal

New Metal Member
Aug 18, 2010
Slighty confused on what nu-metal is.

I've heard two different definitions of nu-metal.

The first identifies nu-metal as the hard alternative rock that came out of the 90's and 00's. Basically, it's post-grunge with the occasional scream/yell and heavy riff. Staind, Chevelle, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Downset, Cold, Taproot, Trapt etc..

The second identifies nu-metal as the industrial/hip-hop influenced metal bands that came out of the same period. Static-X, Slipknot, Mushroomhead, Mudvayne, Coal Chamber, and Soulfly were all heavy bands that had that jumpdafuckup factor. But they were worlds beyond the bands that fit the first definition. At most, they are guilty of creating generic metal.

I think if nu-metal is to be an actual term, we should use the second definition. Because the first definition isn't really metal, but post-grunge played slightly heavier.

Those two definitions make, I guess, a clear distinction. But the thing is that all of those bands sound more or less the same and they're all complete fucking dogshit and I can't imagine anything more pointless than debating the finer points of FUCKING NU METAL.