Nu-metal: I need your opinion!

Do you disagree? I was asking for an explanation of how nu metal is a metal subgenre - the Wikipedia entry mentions some bands that had some metal influence, and at the most paints the "genre" as one with some slight superficial similarities to metal. What posting a bunch of "witty" retorts to a section of the article (or even bringing up the article in the first place) does to further this discussion eludes me.
I wasn't going for "witty" retorts. Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that I have just as hard a time finding arguments against nu-metal being a metal subgenre as you have finding arguments for it. The "music" of nu-metal is derived out of groove and thrash, if we're talking about bands like Korn and Slipknot. I think that's generally fairly obvious when you listen to it. The bulk of the sound is 90's metal derived.

1.) I like/dislike Nu-metal because…

I like it sometimes because I like the lyrical rhymes as opposed to simple screams and grunts metal offers sometimes.

2.) I do/don’t think Nu-metal is a real sub-genre of Heavy metal because…

It's a subgenre because of the same music chords, musical aggression as metal. The only other alternative it could be a subgenre of is rap, and it's got too much music for it to be rap.

3.) I think Nu-metal was so populair in the late ‘90’s because…

It was a new style. It gave people liking rap something different. Lyrics were angry and sexual just like rap.

4.) I think Nu-metal came to such a sudden downfall because…

Oversaturation.

5.) I think the Heavy metal scene never really accepted Nu-metal because…

It was popular.

1.) I like Nu-metal because…sometimes it can sound good. Korn kick ass.
2.) I do think Nu-metal is a real sub-genre of Heavy metal because…because it branches and takes influence from heavy metal (excuse the pun) heavily.
3.) I think Nu-metal was so populair in the late ‘90’s because…people wanted to listen to it, duh.
4.) I think Nu-metal came to such a sudden downfall because…people realised it isn't THAT good.
5.) I think the Heavy metal scene never really accepted Nu-metal because A lot of them are elitist bastards.

I think a lot of people hate Nu-metal due to how a lot of it isnt metal but still is classified as metal, linkin park is not metal (as being called nu-metal would say it is) if they want to call it something creative call it nu-rock or something, as for mudvayne i think they were good on "the end of all things to come" They had a lot to do with metal, Limp Bizkit on the other hand dont, when i was younger i bought one of their cds so i know what im talking about, most of the more metal type voices were just yelling not anything close to growling. Nu-metal should be considered metal if the bands considered nu-metal sound like metal. If it is going to be a sub-genre it should sound like a genre.

a lot of people could place the blame on Mr. Bungle and Faith No More. but I like those bands, and that would be quite a bittersweet scapegoat.

1.) I like Nu-metal because…sometimes it can sound good. Korn kick ass.
2.) I do think Nu-metal is a real sub-genre of Heavy metal because…because it branches and takes influence from heavy metal (excuse the pun) heavily.
3.) I think Nu-metal was so populair in the late ‘90’s because…people wanted to listen to it, duh.
4.) I think Nu-metal came to such a sudden downfall because…people realised it isn't THAT good.
5.) I think the Heavy metal scene never really accepted Nu-metal because A lot of them are elitist bastards.

I don't mean to be an "elitist bastard," but if you think Korn sound good, you need a music (and possibly ear) transplant right now! Quick, if death vox are too much, strap yourself into some melodeath or something, or fucking Iron Maiden, or... I dunno, even metalcore crap like Killswitch would be a step up. Lamb of God? Help me help you!

EDIT: I just realized that your name implies you already listen to metalcore. Yay. Do more of that and less of the Korn thing. Soon you will come to enjoy melodeath, and then progressive death, and then... good times.

I wasn't going for "witty" retorts. Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that I have just as hard a time finding arguments against nu-metal being a metal subgenre as you have finding arguments for it. The "music" of nu-metal is derived out of groove and thrash, if we're talking about bands like Korn and Slipknot. I think that's generally fairly obvious when you listen to it. The bulk of the sound is 90's metal derived.

I see it being derived more from 90's grunge. Most nu-metal riffs were borrowed from Soundgarden and Alice in Chains. Anyway, it doesn't matter what the stylistic influences were. Fact is, most nu-metal is essentially pop songs which just happen to be based around heavy riffs.

Surely we can all agree at least that nu-metal sits at the borders of the metal genre, in the same way as modern day Katatonia or Anathema. Bands like Slipknot are obviously heavily based on death metal, and I think would fall within a definition of 'metal' but not, say, Papa Roach or Limp Bizkit because, like glam metal, taking superficial aspects of metal to write pop songs is not sufficient.

I don't mean to be an "elitist bastard," but if you think Korn sound good, you need a music (and possibly ear) transplant right now! Quick, if death vox are too much, strap yourself into some melodeath or something, or fucking Iron Maiden, or... I dunno, even metalcore crap like Killswitch would be a step up. Lamb of God? Help me help you!

EDIT: I just realized that your name implies you already listen to metalcore. Yay. Do more of that and less of the Korn thing. Soon you will come to enjoy melodeath, and then progressive death, and then... good times.

I agree with this post. hopefully soon he'll be listening to Entombed.

1.) I dislike Nu-metal because…

Alternative music, at it's peak in the late-80's through the early 90's, began a fast decline due to popularization of the genre, giving birth to a more aggressive form of the current mainstream radia rock called Nu-Metal, which at times involved hip hop influence, very simplistic variations of easy thrash riffs and sometimes death metal riffs, and relied on very simplistic song structures. I'd say I dislike it because I find it mind numbingly boring and that it's just music made solely for marketing to young teens, with it's easy rhythmic bounce.

2.) I do/don’t think Nu-metal is a real sub-genre of Heavy metal because… It's more involved with the mid-late ninties pop radio distortion of 'alternative' than actual metal, which can be garnered from a listen to the guitar playing and vocal delivery.

3.) I think Nu-metal was so popular in the late ‘90’s because… it was certainly marketed well, with mtv play and image appeal (slipknot with their masks and whatnot), and as said before, there was a lack of severly aggressive and angry music at the time (in terms of the mainstream, of course).

4.) I think Nu-metal came to such a sudden downfall because… you can only rip off and severely simplify Faith No More and Helmet so many times.

5.) I think the Heavy metal scene never really accepted Nu-metal because… it had barely any tenets of heavy metal formula in any sort of style of the genre, the teen angst was there, but the music was not.

The thrash metal influence in nu metal seems nonexistent to me, groove perhaps is more prevalent. However, the fact is that nu metal is a genre that emerged from hard/alternative rock (grunge, etc.) while incorporating elements from other genres such as rapcore (Body Count, Biohazard), funk rock, hardcore, grindcore, and perhaps in some isolated instances even metal. But this doesn't qualify it as a metal subgenre - thrash metal isn't considered a punk subgenre, and the metal influence in nu metal is far more sporadic than the punk influence in thrash.

The bottom line is that there is no way to trace nu metal as a movement emerging from any metal subgenre, all the evidence points to hard/alternative rock as the source. Even the Wikepedia article you brought up cites Lollapalooza as the catalyst that began the nu metal movement. You need to look at the history of the genres and understand that something can be loud and heavy without being metal.

Bands like Slipknot are obviously heavily based on death metal
Heavily? Try grindcore maybe, but beyond some superficial similarities I find it hard to see any concrete death metal influence.

the only reason nu - metal received the tag "metal" was because mainstream media likes to portray anything that is loud and distorted as being metal, which is bullshit obviously.