Nu-Metal...(if you hate nu-metal read on)

UNDEROATH777

Sep 6, 2002
why do u want to know?
Visit site
ok, i know a bunch of people who hate metal and love nu-metal..yes yes, their idiots and they dont know it yet. But since most of us can agree that listening to nu-metal gives us a headache, WHY?
I try explaining it to these foolish people why the band thier listening to sucks, and it gives me a headach...so what is it excacty that makes a band nu-metal? And what makes a band metal? I want to smack some sense in these fucking idiots who think their all hardcore for listening to korn...haha thats just funny to think about because theirs soo many of them!

What I'm trying to understand is why a person that cannot grasp the concept of their, they're, and there is calling another an idiot.

Anyway, my question is why do you care what they listen to? Do they force you to listen to Korn or Linkin Park?

Reactions: Phrozenspite
Sonnenritter said:
What I'm trying to understand is why a person that cannot grasp the concept of their, they're, and there is calling another an idiot.

Anyway, my question is why do you care what they listen to? Do they force you to listen to Korn or Linkin Park?

it depends... lets say the person in question is one of those ignorant nu-metal fans who likes to say that Mudvayne is the heaviest band in the world or Slipknot is death metal... in that case set them straight, but in other cases where they just like a band than thats their right. I define Nu-metal this way, it may include hip-hop rhythms... neo-rapping vocalists, lyrics dealing with teen angst(either real or imagined), simple distorted riffs that have more in common with punk or hardcore than metal, an excessive amount of obscenity for no real reason... any of these may apply to a band but all do not have to. Also some Nu-metal bands are major alice in chains ripoffs(hmm godsmack and Union underground come to mind) or may be a blantant ripoff of another band. Many Nu-metal bands try to give off the impression that they're part of the underground "scene" (Dave Draiman of disturbed claims that the album The Sickness is the best selling underground album of all time)... I find that quite a few nu-metal bands favor the "chug" style riffs and usually base the riffs they play off of the drummer(everytime there is a drum beat in some of these songs there is also a note in the riff). In most cases though it isn't really worth arguing with them. thanks to MTV and modern rock radio they seem to have a different definition of "heavy" than most of us do.

Now if you want to try and convert some of them the worst way is to tell them that their favorite band sucks. Tell them that your glad they don't listen to Rap or Hip-Hop but there are better and heavier bands out there. Since many Nu-metal fans listen to old metallica or at least know of it try to show them the logical progression of how Thrash gave way to Death Metal or hell just let them listen to some Gothenburg death metal that may be just light enough to hook some of them.

As for your question of how do you define metal... I'd describe it as a progression of the scenes and styles of the early-mid 80s that were largely ignored thanks to the Hair/pop "metal" movement that was popular in the decade as well as due to the grunge and punk revivals that hogged the spotlight in the early and mid 90s. Most metal bands play a sound that is commercially unfriendly and usually not marketable. The music is first and foremost(though sometimes reputations overshadow the actual music, I.E Norwegian Black metal), in addition unlike many nu-metal bands who are a throwback to the punk Do it yourself attitude, metal bands usually feature some level of technical prowess. uhh thats about the best I can do

no, its not like im trying to "convert them" if you will. Theirs just been a few times when people are ignorant and think they know it all, and think that they listen to metal and are badass because they listen to korn or slipknot. In that case I have to let them know the truth and the true meaning of metal...i just cant let them go on like that!

UNDEROATH777 said:
no, its not like im trying to "convert them" if you will. Theirs just been a few times when people are ignorant and think they know it all, and think that they listen to metal and are badass because they listen to korn or slipknot. In that case I have to let them know the truth and the true meaning of metal...i just cant let them go on like that!

I know exactly the type you speak of... the youth that pick up on a trend like that and think that it makes them tough or an outcast because of an artist they listen to, meanwhile its generally meant to impress a larger group of morons who view themselves as "freaks" or goths... and often call themselves metalheads. well I wouldn't waste your time they won't listen, if you even mention real metal vs nu-metal they'll think you mean new metal vs old school metal instead of just actual metal vs neo-metal... the best way to at least get them thinking is call their music mainstream and commercial... thats one thing that they hate since they like to be seen as alternative and strange... also tell them that their a product of MTV's "brilliant" marketing strategy of telling millions of kids suffering from teenage angst and a need to rebel that rock died out in the mid 90s and was just returning and promoting it as a return of the rock and all of that bullshit

LuminousAether said:
I like both "real" metal and nu metal. So fuck off you elitist prick. Grow a brain, and then come back.

I don't know who the fuck you are, but people are entitled and generally encouraged to think for themselves, calling someone an elitist prick usually isn't a very genial thing to do, let's just keep it at you disagree with his view, and I disagree with yours.

You know what gives me a headache?
MORE INANE POSTS ABOUT NU-METAL!
Seriously, shut the fuck up.While reading your post, all I could think about was how much I'd pay to watch you fighting rabid monkeys in a colliseum.
Get some new material.

well, i usually live in edinburgh so the inane method of telling ignoramuses that their music sucks will get you nothing but disdain, and the consequence being that they automatically dismiss anything you have to say. and because there's so many of those ignorant mainstream metallers around where i live during term, it's not practical to gently inform them all of true metal.

what i do: i walk around simply wearing black jeans and a death metal t-shirt. usually one that says the words 'DEATH METAL', has some gore on it, and an unreadable logo. the result; they see something that even an idiot could probably tell is more underground and more obscure and heavier than anything they listen to, and the lack of overdressing with chains/spikes/makeup etc may further inform them that whatever this 'death metal' really is, it sure as hell ain't the trendy image they adopt.

i always make a point of wearing a good underground t-shirt if i know i'm going to be going past the so-called 'alternative' streets.

Another "nu metal" sucks thread....

okay...we know that 98% of the people here HATE "nu"(should really be called "Commerical rock")..that's fine

some here like it..that's fine

Remember-the core Metal music, for the most part, is really not for the masses. ESPC. the extream stuff-Death, Black, etc.

*puts the nail in the coffin on the "nu" threads*

Let's not waste our time anymore!

UNDEROATH777, you call your friends idiots for enjoying music you don't like and ignoring music you do like. Can't you see that you're practically doing the exact same thing! You ignore numetal and simply put it aside because it's not "true" metal. That's the worst part is that your approach to numetal seems to be arrogant. You claim that your music is the "real stuff" and others just don't realize it but the fact is that there is no such thing has objectively defined true metal. Metal can be divided into a bazillion categories (which i try to avoid) and, like it or not, every single one of them are equally metal. When your friends claim Korn to be (just a hypothetical example) the heaviest stuff out there you're probably thinking: "No way! You should hear THIS stuff (whatever band you consider heavy)!" Have you tried playing your music to them? What did they say? If they didn't like it and still prefer their music, then you got it. They prefer their music and you prefer yours. It's all apples and oranges. Just live and let live. There's no need forcing your opinion on others.

OoDee

speaking of disturbed, i saw them on HBB a couple of weeks ago fucking walk by pantera up, dimebag was playing with him, it hurt so much to see that i wanted to stab myself

Yes, let us bash the numetal basher, he needs to know his opinion doesn't count, good work in th hypocracy department guys.

About Dimebag, this is just another nail in his coffin, the first one was when he said he wanted to do a guitar album with Mick Root :tickled: Mick Root!

ok, i know a bunch of people who hate metal and love nu-metal..yes yes, their idiots and they dont know it yet. But since most of us can agree that listening to nu-metal gives us a headache, WHY?
I try explaining it to these foolish people why the band thier listening to sucks, and it gives me a headach...so what is it excacty that makes a band nu-metal? And what makes a band metal? I want to smack some sense in these fucking idiots who think their all hardcore for listening to korn...haha thats just funny to think about because theirs soo many of them!
Actually its usually the extreme bands that tend to give people more headaches since its a constant "bangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbang" and then a silly growl... in most cases.

But seriously, why should it concern you if they arent as HarDkoRe as you... The people you talk about thinkin they are hardcore for listening to Korn are the extreme of one end of the arguement, while you think your hardcore for listening to unheard of bands, which is the extreme of the other end of the arguement aswell... pretty ignorant.