Hate towards nu-metal

Of course, as you I know i enjoy Chaos AD, a few of my favourite Sepultura songs are on there such as Kiowas, We Who are not as Others, Nomad & Manifest. I fact Chaos sort of belongs in a subsection of its own as it has almost nothing in common with it's retarded cousin, Roots.

Yeah it's almost completely irredeemable. The idea wasn't bad, with the whole native Brazilian thing, but the fact that they so unashamedly changed their style to pander to the Korn kids is a huge insult to their traditional fan base. Only highlight imo is the instrumental track, Jasco (Dictatorshit is ok, but just a shittier version of Biotech is Godzilla).

Definitely. Huge dropping of the ball. If they returned to their thrash style, or at the very least retained their sound from Chaos AD, & threw in a few of those traditional Brazilian instruments, it could have been much more respectable.

I don't mind this studio jam they had with this other fellow who adds some cool percussion & other little effects. Even though this is a shitty song with dumb lyrics, it's still got some interesting things going on.

Reactions: zerostatic
Definitely. Huge dropping of the ball. If they returned to their thrash style, or at the very least retained their sound from Chaos AD, & threw in a few of those traditional Brazilian instruments, it could have been much more respectable.

I don't mind this studio jam they had with this other fellow who adds some cool percussion & other little effects. Even though this is a shitty song with dumb lyrics, it's still got some interesting things going on.

This song sounds like a Slipknot song.
This live version kicks fucking ass though, I think.

Reactions: jimmy101
That was the whole problem with the album brother, was pretty much Slipknot's debut.

Reactions: Sophii
I wish Slipknot kept that weird ass avant-garde metal sound on their demo album. It was corny af but so good at the same time.
That Primus esque stuff was far more respectable for sure.

Slipknot's debut has a sort of Industrial feel, good energy and the drumming is good, but the riffs, vocals and other sounds are fuucking abysmal.

Also...

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes!!!!"
Hilarious!!

Reactions: jimmy101 and Sophii
That Primus esque stuff was far more respectable for sure.

Slipknot's debut has a sort of Industrial feel, good energy and the drumming is good, but the riffs, vocals and other sounds are fuucking abysmal.

Joey was THE BEST thing about Slipknot imo. And Paul, their former bassist (rip)
Yeah both their guitarists cant write for shit and I absolutely hate Corey. The samplers were cool imo.

The bassist was really good on the demo, but Ross Robinson made him forget how to do decent baselines.

Jordison was a great drummer indeed. Sadly, Slipknot's sound was shit, so his kit sounded like paper and trashcans.
He was the best from the "nu metal" scene, most probably. The guy from Mudvayne is good too.

Ryan Martinie is probably the best bassist from nu metal. Fuck Fieldy.

Reactions: Sophii
Ryan Martinie is probably the best bassist from nu metal. Fuck Fieldy.

Highly agreed. Martinie is a fucking anomaly on bass! When I was getting into intermediate bass stuff, I tried learning LD50 era Martinie bass lines and to this day I can barely play Dig properly. Let alone Severed or Internal Primates Forever.

I hated it, now I don't know because except Roots Bloody Roots and Cut-Throat I don't remember anything from it.

Screenshot_2020-02-02-13-34-29.png

This shit is worse than nu-metal. It takes all the trite of the genre and tries to filter it through an industrial death metal lense. God why did they think this was such a good fucking idea.

View attachment 23487

This shit is worse than nu-metal. It takes all the trite of the genre and tries to filter it through an industrial death metal lense. God why did they think this was such a good fucking idea.
I agree that's pretty bad, but not worse than nu metal as a whole. Around half of that album is actually listenable.

Trey stopped making decent death metal almost 20 years ago. Dave actually improved a lot his recent output with Vltimas and that outlaw country stuff (that's actually pretty decent).