Nu Metal singers- Are they a major reason for Nu-Metals Popularity?

Nah i like Real metal much more than nu. But some Nu i can tolerate and enjoy. Especially if you call st anger and reroute Nu. Then oh hell yes. Uhh linkin park? NO! I fucking hate SOAD. Most of their songs are babble. And i hate armenians. I fucking cant stand the smelly bitches. I rather listen to a cat caught on a manifold that Syndrome of a down. May the perish !!!!!!!!!! But I love metal. Except for that growling dying fetus shit! But they even are still better than SOAD! Now thats sad! ::continues to listen to Metaphor, Already in progress::

I didn't have the energy to read the whole topic but I'll comment on what I saw. A band like Dakrthrone is very simple technically but rather intricate compositionally. 'N Lames is as catchy as your average nu metal group but in a different way. Their music is essentially fragmented, rehashed Maiden riffing with harsh vocals. Whooopeeee!

Riiiight.... BACK TO TOPIC.

Most mainstream music is geared towards the vocals, than the instrument-playing, simply because the voice can be appreciated most easily, and because it can be used for many different ways (carry a messsage, indicate the very reason why the song is being played).

For example, Evanesence. On the CD cover, you don't see anybody but the singer's face. It is not that surprising, since everything thinks that she is beautiful. On the video too, the girl is under the trooper most of the time. The video is altered a bit, so the guy's voice is actually very soft compared to the girl's.

Ask some stranger on the street for the Linkin Park member's names. They could probably recalled out Chester and Mike, but not the rest. Guess why. ;)

SilverBlade said:
For example, Evanesence. On the CD cover, you don't see anybody but the singer's face. It is not that surprising, since everything thinks that she is beautiful.
I listened to some of their stuff and I say I agree with those nu-metal reviews that draw more parallels with womanized Linkin Park rather than European stuff.. The music is nothing to write home about, except for fact that they actually have solos - but still.. It's not metal. Maybe they originally thought to play metal - but what is on that much talked-about CD is not.

But the chick's got a really good voice. And I wouldn't say she's necessarily beautiful - she's more down-to-earth look-wise, and that's actually good..

in japan arch enemy is the top selling rock album over there, its no1 bloody everywhere, not that thats relevant. I would write more here about the actual topic but i cant be arsed and its all gone off topic anyway

Some nu-metal singers are good I agree but most of them are just fucking horrible. Maybe people like them cause most of them get too extreme.

Deftones - Chino Moreno's vocals are superb. He either does a high scream, whisper, pouting kind of singing. Sometimes he sounds off key though.

Drowning Pool - I guess their singer is alright and he can do a gutteral growl but I think they pretty much blow.

Evanescene - Groarrr. Amy Lee. *drools* She has a good voice but she sounds exactly like Christina Scabbia.

Linkin Park - They got the worst vocalists ever. Mike Shinoda that rapping faggot and Chester Bennington with his pussy ass vocals. They sound like 2 different versions of Fred Durst. Fucking horrible.

Papa Roach - That whining rapping singer needs to get his ass kicked.

Slipknot - Corey Taylor's a great vocalist. He can sing clean and melodic and he shows this more in Stone Sour. Guy can do pretty good aggressive work too.

I can't believe any of this is being posted here. :erk:
I haven't heard anything remotely good by these bands, not vocals, not guitars,*sarcasm=on* not even the mix masters. Please people, there is plenty of good music out there that you do not have to stoop to this level.
*Ajbangs his head against a wall in frustration*

you know, i didnt read a post on this thread just the title, and man that is one of the points ive heard risen in a long time. People done tolerate the screaming/growling of death/thrash etc. People need that whiney/yelping/high pitched up beat music, i call godsmack/disturbed up beat because they dont go growling and they keep the music fairly melodic. A most excellent question posed thread generator.

AjDeath said:
I can't believe any of this is being posted here. :erk:
I haven't heard anything remotely good by these bands, not vocals, not guitars,*sarcasm=on* not even the mix masters. Please people, there is plenty of good music out there that you do not have to stoop to this level.
*Ajbangs his head against a wall in frustration*
Well, I don't give a fuck to what people listen. I was around this nagging "ultimate metal is underground" type of PREACHING for the better part of my life so I'm easy to dismiss it. Listen to what you like. You haven't heard anything remotely good - others might've. I find N Sync's music as repulsive and disgusting - and yet fuck it, if people like 'em - what the fuck do I got to do with anything.

Shell Shock said:
Well, I don't give a fuck to what people listen. I was around this nagging "ultimate metal is underground" type of PREACHING for the better part of my life so I'm easy to dismiss it. Listen to what you like. You haven't heard anything remotely good - others might've. I find N Sync's music as repulsive and disgusting - and yet fuck it, if people like 'em - what the fuck do I got to do with anything.

I am in total agreement with you, but these people really like to argue about it, my point is this, this genre,Nu-metal, or whatever you want to call it is VERY boring, most of these bands can't be bothered to even write interestingly at the compositional level, let alone arranging. There is no craft to it songwriting wise, I have yet to here a decently written commercial radio metal song, people enjoy it because it is very unchallenging to them, it is comfortable. they here something they like, so when the next band comes along and is exactly that same, they already know they are going to like it, the choice is taken away from them, in my life, along with expereience and study,music defines who I am as a person, when the choice of soemthing as important as your individual taste is taken away from you, what have we left but nothing, let's face it, individual taste is what life has become, which is a good thing IMO, but with ClearChannel controlling the airwaves all we get is angsty unenlightened rubish with every band writing the same lyrics, the same guitar sound, the same song structures, it is just fluff, an unintelligent interminable sound of mediocracy. Thought is being taken away from us, and it saddens me.