What nu-metal do you like?

Harp Heaven

Culture Vulture
Jun 14, 2002
First off: if you were planning to post "it all sux", "i only listen teh tr00 shit", then jerk off.

I know a lot of people here hate nu-metal with a passion, and I partially agree with them. There is a lot of trite, boring and repetitive shit going on in the genre, where most of the bands are just jumping on the bandwagon for "ho$ and cash". But still, some bands make an effort to put out some, in my opinion, good music. These are

System of a Down
Mudvayne

and some of Slipknots stuff isn`t that bad. What about you?

there are a few nu bands i dig

mudvaune- amazing musicians with a unique sound
american headcharge- they have great melodies and do som really interesting stuff
system of a down- very creative stuff
mushroomhead- amazing layer work and they have a little odd time stuff thats nice
~gR~

I'm not certain what exactly passes for "nu-metal", so I may be a wrong about these. I really don't care.

bands that I actually own anything by:
Mudvayne
System of a Down

bands that I can tolorate:
Godsmack
Linkin Park (Bite me, they have good melody and a decent vocalist. The rapper guy needs to fuck off though)
Korn

As a lot of people know and could easily guess, my favourite band is MuDvAyNe anyway. Definately the best of the nu-metal genre.

Spineshank - good combination of aggression, electronics and catchy melody. Underrated I think.

American Head Charge - just..good!

SlipKnoT - despite the fake image, their music is unique and full of aggressive energy.

Linkin Park (bite me!) - as said before, good vocalist and cool melodies.

Mushroomhead - excellent, surreal lyrics and wacky experimentation.

There is definately some goodness in the nu-metal genre! I think if people can put aside the commericalism and the money, the music itself is just another sound of alternative rock/metal. And some of it is really good!

(yay for MuDvAyNe!)

i like system of a down, especially the lyrics. Ive heard some people call chimaera nu-metal so them as well and i give a bit of respect to linkin park, they're one of the more credible nu-metal bands, at least they have more substance and i like the way they incorporate samples etc..

Mudvayne - Great bass and drums, interesting songs.
SOAD - Quirky and original.
Spineshank - Just catchy.
American Head Charge - Some nice stuff going on.
Mushroomhead - Same as AMC... just nice and easy music to listen to.
Korn - They are heavy. Simple as that. They may be simple, but they are heavy, don't doubt that. Some of their songs shit me off though.

There are probably more numetal bands that I like. The only ones I really dislike are the rap numetal bands and Slipknot.

If Fear Factory qualify as being nu metal then I'd say that I like them. But they are one of very few nu metal bands (if any, I can't think of them right now) that I like.

Nu metal is OK:

System of a Down - Quirky and original was a good discription
Static X - Bit to much like Zombie, but hey still alright
Soulfly - Some good shit there
Slipknot - Want to see live as their shows are suppose to be something else

Static X and Fear Factory are industrial metal, not nu metal.

And Static X... like Zombie? I take it you have never heard Ministry's Psalm 69 before. That's a shame.

Here's the nu metal I like:

The Apex Theory
Boy Hits Car
Deftones
36 Crazyfists
early Incubus

Stretching nu metal term:
Glassjaw
Nothingface

LuminousAether said:
Static X and Fear Factory are industrial metal, not nu metal.

And Static X... like Zombie? I take it you have never heard Ministry's Psalm 69 before. That's a shame.

Industrial I'd agree with that too. Yes Psalm 69 I've heard and I think it's pretty good song, but Ministry has made better than that one. NWO rocks.

I still stand firm on that, Static X does sound a lot like Rob Zombie. Has many of the same qualities that Zombie possesses.

Im actually quite enjoying what ive heard from deftones' new album "minerva" and their older songs like "nosebleed" "bored" "my own summer" "change(in the house of flies" etc.. are good songs, well change is an awesome song

mudvayne? im not sure of if were talking about the same band here...

my mallcore guility pleasures

soad- i originally got into them during when i was around 11, yet their music has stuck with me, desptie the fact that ive out grown nu metal. i do however, segragate their catalog from the rest of my cd's. plus i got to give 'props' (sigh) to my armenian brothers

tool- very creative, fun to listen to

Is Tool nu-metal?

Eh... well, if you say so. :Spin:

Anyways, I won't call these "guilty" pleasures. I listen to them because I like 'em... so I'm not guilty of anything. :)

Mudvayne.
System of a Down.

Er...

...uhm

...Yeah, I don't really dig too much of the genre...

"I'm t00tr00"