What about NU

Mariner

all the way
Dec 30, 2001
Belgium
Let me tell, tomorrow I'm going to the Ozzfest with System of a Down, Tool and Ozzy.

I don't know what you guys think about Nu-metal, what bands are NU, and what Nu is.

There are a lot of great Numetal bands (SOAD & Soulfly (and Fear Factory, but they don't exist anymore) are my favs). They are metalbands for me (some people thinks they're not). Gimme one good reason why Limp Bizkit shouldn't been considered as metal.

I think NU, isn't a genre, but a trend. Like there is trash (Sepultura, Slayer and Metallica are all trashmetal, but there's surely a grand difference)

Wake Up! Grab a brush and put a little make-up!

Fred Durst is a pansy-ass, wannabe who has nothing valuable to say.
NuMetal is just corporate assholes trying to make a buck off of the fact that heavy music is making a comeback, although in a different form than the old days.
The crap that you hear at Ozzfest is corporate garbage. Why does everybody sound like Godsmack????

Originally posted by Mariner

I think NU, isn't a genre, but a trend. Like there is trash (Sepultura, Slayer and Metallica are all trashmetal, but there's surely a grand difference)

I think you mean 'trash' and 'thrashmetal', unless your describing the quality of the music ;)

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
I'm a pretty stong advocate of genre labels, so I'd say that Nu is absolutely a style, every nu band has some sort of stylistic thing in common with one another.

i agree with the MDB fan there. being tolerant never killed anybody :)

peace,
mehdi

nu metal IS agenre, whether you like it or not. and hardcore (band like fear factory, coal camber and system of a down) or rapcore (rage against the machine, korn, lim bizkit) or nu metal (slipknot, mudvayne) are all fusions of metal and punk. so you could say they ARE metal.
i hate limp bizkit...very true about durst, deadasusual.

Originally posted by Don Corleone
and hardcore (band like fear factory, coal camber and system of a down) or rapcore (rage against the machine, korn, lim bizkit) or nu metal (slipknot, mudvayne) are all fusions of metal and punk

Hi Don ,

Sorry but I think you're mistaken when you label FF , coal chamber or SOAD as hardcore bands . Indeed hardcore is ( or was at its beginning ) a fusion of metal and punk but it has nothing to do with nu-metal bands such as coal chamber or indus-trash bands such as FF or even SOAD which is ... SOAD ! absolutely unclassifiable in my own opinion.
Hardcore is ,in its old school meaning, rather represented by bands like crow mags , agnostic front or madball. New school HxC is closer to metal than punk : backfire , strife etc ... At last you've got metal-hardcore bands that sound more trash metal , death metal or grindcore sometimes : S.O.D , hatebreed , kickback , inside conflict or biohazard to mention the most famous of them.
Maybe some will disagree with me but that's my point of view and that of many hardcore fans I think

Cheers
Arnaud

Originally posted by cedarbreed
or even SOAD which is ... SOAD ! absolutely unclassifiable in my own opinion.

System Of A Down plays polka metal :lol:

Maybe some will disagree with me but that's my point of view and that of many hardcore fans I think

i have to agree with my good ol'Arnaud mate there. in my opinions, hardcore is more about bands like Hatebreed or Pro-Pain, etc

peace,
mehdi

who gives a shit? there is music and you either like it or you don't. there is lots of music i can't stand but i gues that just means its not for me. even britney spears has her place in the world. maybe not for you but for your daughter should you have one. i think the only people allowed to ctriticize music in the press are people who have written or can write music themselves. still this is not really important in the grand scheme of things, especially as world war three is just around the corner!

ps life is not like a dick

danny cavanagh

Originally posted by pagan2002
i think the only people allowed to ctriticize music in the press are people who have written or can write music themselves.
danny cavanagh

why? i really can't agree with you on this. of course an intelligent and constructive criticism can't come from someone who doesn't know what he's speaking about (too many times it happens to read comments made by deaf people who don't even know what music is), but i don't think it's necessary to "have written or can write music themselves" to have good ideas, knowledge and the linguistic capability to turn them into a correct and intelligible argumentation.
on the contrary, writing music is not enough to express sensible opinions on the matter. it helps a lot, of course, but i don't think those two things (write music / good criticism) are strictly related.

val (pheeew, she can breathe again now ;) )

Originally posted by cedarbreed

Hi Don ,

Sorry but I think you're mistaken when you label FF , coal chamber or SOAD as hardcore bands . Indeed hardcore is ( or was at its beginning ) a fusion of metal and punk but it has nothing to do with nu-metal bands such as coal chamber or indus-trash bands such as FF or even SOAD which is ... SOAD ! absolutely unclassifiable in my own opinion.
Hardcore is ,in its old school meaning, rather represented by bands like crow mags , agnostic front or madball. New school HxC is closer to metal than punk : backfire , strife etc ... At last you've got metal-hardcore bands that sound more trash metal , death metal or grindcore sometimes : S.O.D , hatebreed , kickback , inside conflict or biohazard to mention the most famous of them.

Cheers
Arnaud

hello, arnaud
no, you are absolutely right. i agree with you. some bands are closer to the metal sound than the punk sound and so on...such sub-classifications as "industrial thrash" or "nu metal" are really apt, but it is undeniable that all of those bands you and I mentioned (include dirty rotten imbeciles, suicidal tendancies too) are originally hardcore bands- which was usually referred to as "harcore punk". but in time that "punk" was dropped.

what im trying to say is those bands above have an obvious difference between themselves and "pure" metal bands like megadeth, metallica or sentenced, for instance.

even britney spears has her place in the world. maybe not for you but for your daughter should you have one.

If my daughter listened to the BS I would immediately commited ritual sepukku (probable error in spelling). :)

especially as world war three is just around the corner!

I read something like this in the KNAC interview... Danny:)notworthy) doesn't change his mind :)

my personal experiance of the genre known as nu-metal was at last years ozzfest where papa roach and slipknot played

slipknot seemed ok not tallented at all but they got the crowd psyced up

papa roach sounded very very comertial infact i still cant tell the difference between them and linkin park (who were apparently manufactared )

i dont see the need for a nu nething (especially when it aint even spelt properly)

it seems to be another of these american trends which hopfully should blow over soon

summit for rebelious kids to listen to (which coincidently was the position that metallica was in a few years ago)

im off to this years ozzfest
da_masster

ps life is not like a dick

danny cavanagh
Exactly! (snaps fingers)
wc.gif