Discussion about nu-metal

Jim LotFP said:
How do you keep from falling for every industry scam, every second-stringer presented as an innovator? How do you make conscious choices instead of letting others choose for you, if you're not keeping aware of what's going on behind the curtain?

great post man and i agree with almost everything on there. except the above. i dont know if you have to keep your eye on what happens behind the scenes. i mean, whats important is the music and how that sounds. sure you might miss out on who are the innovators but you also hear other music without being biased. choosing the innovators and refusing to listen to the followers is excluding so many bands, which are likely to be absolutely horrid, but some may be making very good music. i cant think of any examples (big night) but ill try and get back later:)

A Reason To Sing said:
Serj does fade away from the political stuff as I've observed.

I think the guitarist has been writing more of the lyrics lately, but the political things are stil there in the new albums (BYOB, Holy Mountain, Attack etc)

Then of course, bands like Korn, and Slipknot sing about what they sing because they've had troubles in their past, etc. However, I doubt any musical band wants to be remembered for making albums that talk about, "waiting to bleed", and shit.

vampyrouss said:
I think the guitarist has been writing more of the lyrics lately, but the political things are stil there in the new albums (BYOB, Holy Mountain, Attack etc)

Yes, well, once of the neat things about SOAD is that if you look at songs like B.Y.O.B, you'd think it's some party song. It mixes up the message, and the music together. Something unique about System's is that the try to have this edgy vibe to their music. Which is cool, IMO.

Some of their songs are very serious, and are pretty deep. Aerials, for example, is a beautiful song, and that's my personal SOAD highlight. That song and SUGAR.

A Reason To Sing said:
...Some of their songs are very serious, and are pretty deep. Aerials, for example, is a beautiful song, and that's my personal SOAD highlight...

Actually SOAD has claimed several times that the lyrics of Aerials is about nothing. But then again they've encouraged "us" to do or own interpretation of their lyrics.

Tapestry said:
Actually SOAD has claimed several times that the lyrics of Aerials is about nothing. But then again they've encouraged "us" to do or own interpretation of their lyrics.

Ha, really? I'm surprised. That song presents it's message clearly.

Life is a waterfall,
We're one in the river,
And one again after the fall.

Swimming through the void
We hear the word,
We lost ourselves,
But we find it all?

Cause we are the ones that want to play,
Always want to go,
But you never want to stay,

And we are the ones that want to chose,
Always want to play,
But you never want to lose.

Aerials, in the sky,
When you lose small mind,
You free your life.

Life is a waterfall,
We drink from the river,
Then we turn around and put up our walls.

I fucking love aerials, man! The way Serj used that emotional implemental at the end is wickid.

I have my opinion on what they mean. It's pretty self explanatory if you aren't some braindead redneck with a shotgun shooting at anything, you know? :p

I love that entire album. Good shit.

i prefer when serj does the singing and malakian sticks to what he actually can do... playing guitar. his voice sounds like a cat being raped in a hurricane, to borrow that from someone else. some harmonies (lost in hollywood for example) sound great but really, when you have a singer with serjs voice, why would you let malakian sing?

Always loved ATWA from that album and Roulette from the one after... I think thats its name... I don't know the one after Toxicity that well...

Toxicity is truly a great album, but the first one is still my SOAD favourite. It's not that hard to interpret (or whatever one do) the lyrics since their not metaphorical exaggerated or anything. Also Serj is an amazing vocalist.

Basically Serj is taking about how humans always are quick to war, to hatred. How there's a lack of brotherhood and humanity in everyday routines. How even after we share the same planet, the same earth, we always tend to hate, we don't even glance and smile at each other;therefor, we drink from the river that we share, then we turn around and put up our walls. Walls as in borders, houses, division.

You always want to play, but you never want to lose:
Meaning we are always quick to jump in, and we put our asses in front of everbody, and we want to show our faces, but then most of us never want to loose.We are in denial of the possibility of not winning. Which is stupid, because there has to be a winner and a loser, and the loser shouldn't be sore about it because it's life.

Swimming through the void
We hear the word,
We lost ourselves,
But we find it all? :
Meaning we swim through the random, we hear cries, we observe the world, and many fall victims to sadness... you loose yourself to leisure, and not caring. However, then one day when you think you've found yourself, and how how you want to approach life... how you want to approach others.....have you really found out? Or is it incomplete?

Aerials, in the sky,
When you lose small mind,
You free your life.

This is the toughest piece of lyrics for me.
I believe it refers to some kind of an angel, or a humaniatarian figure in the sky, and when a small mind that doesn't understand the bigger pictures fails to meet that angel's wit, it fails to understand the right way.....the angel or figure looses its purpose, and so that angel is striped of it's job to help people for the greater good. Therefor, that angel fades into obscurity.

Man....

biggsy said:
I've never thought about those lyrics so deeply. The 'Aerials, in the sky' part is definitely a doozie, but I like your interpretation.

Hey, thanks. :) After I listen to an album, I always tend to read the lyrics in the little booklet if they are available. I like to make sense out of vauge/abstract lyrics...because the author(s) aren't writing them for no reason.

There's only a few "Nu-Metal" type of bands I will listen to on occassion. Slipknot (I think their self-titled is fucking amazing, even if it is Nu-metal), Mudvayne, and System of a Down. Say what you will about Mudvayne but I've liked them ever since I seen them live before they became all huge - If you've ever seen them live you might end up liking them more. The lead singer has sick fucking vocals live. I'm surprised the fucking guy hasn't torn all his vocal cords.