Nu-metal that you can tolerate

Mudvayne - LD50 was very good. Death Blooms is one of my favourite songs - the new(ish) one did nothing for me. LD 50 was much less middle of the road. It had heaps better melodies and to me the heavier bits were more 'extreme' which i think created a good contrast and made the whole thing alot more interesting than the new cd which is not so dynamic. That's just my possibly delueded opinion though.

I like all system of a down. ALL OF IT!!!!

I like roots too if you count that.

SculptedCold said:
If it requires no vocal talent, then it follows that everyone short of the orally disabled must be able to do it.

I can't imitate David Draiman.

What have we learned today?

=)

That most of us aren't ape-like enough to do monkey wails. woo A A A A:loco:

you can't make generalizations, thats my point. generalizations are false, they are a fallacy. nu-metal is a very diverse genre on its own, and people usually giving their typical descriptions of all nu-metal would be the exact same thing as someone saying, "metal is all just screaming and mindless bashing on drums".... and we all know how much we hate it when someone says that.

most nu-metal is far less superior, but it certainly isnt as bad as people like to think.

About nu-metal thing, I can tolerate few initial Korn songs ,they had good Bass, may be few System of a Down Songs.

One of my fav band outside metal other than Rock bands is Rage Against The Machine. Agreed they have Rap, but their lyrics are pretty strong and the music is pretty technical and all of the sounds they produce are from Guitars , Drums and Vocals, not like some nu-metallers who use Turn tables
That surelly pisses me off.

I am always confused to categorise Rage Against The Machine, ppl say they are Rap Core, some say Hard Rock, I am sure they are not nu-metal, if anybody know the exact Genre of them , Please enlighten me, I have all of their albums , they are pretty intense and very agressive. :Smokin: :hotjump:

Necro Joe said:
I mean define the main things which attract you to the style. What qualitys does it posess which make it worth listeng to, in your opinion.
im not really attracted to the "style", as some bands bore me and others don't. its individual sounds. Korn, with the exception of their earlier stuff, tends to bore and annoy me. Papa Roach on the other hand is good hard rock/metal with memorable riffs and songs to me. Limp Bizkit, need I say more why I don't like them? The Deftones, however, are awesome, excellent songwriting and White Pony in paticular is a surreal piece of art. None of these bands sound remotely like each other for example. Its just scratching the surface, like I said, nu-metal is quite a broad genre, and people generalize it, when that couldn't be less true.

i like some deftones but the singer takes about 105 years to sing 4 words which gets kind of frustraiting, for me anyway.

around the fur has a few good songs on it and i do like change in the house of flies that back to school song or whatever it was called is not to bad as well :S

NocturnalSun said:
whoever said Dave Draiman's voice is fantastic is obviously a n00b to the metal scene. He sounds like a monkey that just got kicked really hard, I've heard someone say. If you think his voice is fantastic, your brain is gonna blow the fuck up when you hear Vortex's voice (bass/back vox for Dimmu Borgir and a short bit of Borknagar). Vortex's clean voice is unbelievable and his growls and screams are better than most other vocalists. Draiman's voice is unique, yet not musically good. Have you seen how much trouble he has with it? he said acid from his stomach or something was catching his vocal chords and damaging them because his voice doesn't come easy to him. Disturbed's songs are generic and awfully boring.

So the fact that I think Chris Cornell's voice is the best ever makes me a "n00b" too, even though it's not metal either? There are a lot of vocalists I like better than Draiman (i.e. Mike Akerfeldt, Toby Driver, Mike DiSalvo, Cornell, Steven Wilson, Devin Townsend, the guy for Meshuggah, etc.). Apparently this Vortex guy sounds good so I just might listen to him one of these days, maybe. The fact that I like one (count 'em, one) nu-metal vocalist a lot doesn't make me a "n00b." Also, I never said I liked Disturbed's music, just Draiman. I don't care if it's not that "musically good," I just really like how it sounds.

NocturnalSun said:
Stand Ablaze, I wasn't knocking him for liking a mainstream singer. You missed my point completely. Draiman has no vocal talent. Nick, you may be a vocalist, but I doubt you've come from a background where you were raised on singers from Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Rod Stewart to rock singers like Freddie Mercury/Queen and Eddie Vedder and so on. I come from a VERY diverse musical background and looking at Draiman, I see it requires no vocal talent at all to yell like he does.
Well, no offense or anything, but my musical background is perhaps 10 or 20 times more diverse, if that's even possible(you have a good list). And I do know what I'm talking about. Draiman's style is harder to do than the grrr cowshit that Glen Benton made his career pulling. And Draiman's clean vocals improved tenfold between albums. He has an excellent singing voice. It's not a matter of taste.

I know how amazingly talented Ronnie James Dio is, but damn do I hate his voice. In this case, I happen to like Draiman's style--but he's pretty damn good.

Syndrome of a down are 4 fucking hairy armos that should of been victims of the holochaust. Fuck i hate those babbling babboons.

Godsmacks debut album is cool
So is disturbeds
And Flaw - Through my eyes fucking kicks

apex theory? luminospussy your a fucking fag. apex queery is the shittiest band known to man.

you probably headbang to crazytown u fn fruitcake.

thats all for now.

I like

Mostly all SOAD
Some Disturbed
Half of Mudvayne
1% of American Head Charge
Korn's first and most recent album
Two or three Chevelle songs
Some latter-day Fear Factory
A lot of Devil Driver
A crumb of Filter
Godsmack when they steal Kamelot's riffs
Half of Mushroomhead
A little Slipknot
One Spineshank song
Three Taproot songs

A lot of it I listen to just because it's shallow, but fun, music. Good for working out, setting the atmosphere for ass-kickings, drowning out the chollo's blaring rap bass on the street without sounding like a skinhead, etc. I don't feel the need to consistently listen to technical/complex metal in every situation. I also give nu-metal props as it actually introduced me to the genre as a whole just six years ago. Gotta be grateful for that.

And like everyone, I went through that denial stage whereas I refused to listen to anything mainstream and bashed my friends for listening to any of it, all the while hoisting myself as metaler-than-thou amongst my ignorant friends by listening to music I often didn't even enjoy but convinced myself I did as the metaler-than-thou message board elitists told me so. Glad that's over with.

Oooo, I'd watch out you lot "Dangterous" Davey Draiman might get angry, you wouldn't like him when he's mad.....ooooo. *Altogether runs for cover.*

And Fear Factory are not Nu-Metal.

Lord Ridley had good points.

I'll also add that music irrevocably promotes moods, nu-metal generally instantiates a different mood than other metals if you're impartial to it, and sometimes, i'm just in that mood or want that mood. =)