Nu-metal that you can tolerate

Mudvayne were nu-metal on L.D. 50, albeit an advanced form. They're sort of borderline nu-metal on their latest, but still enough to be called a nu-metal band I think.

anonymousnick2001 said:
It's funny what this thread proves. I don't have my finger on it, but the hatred for nu-metal seems to stem from pressure from hardcore elitists or death metal/progressive fans. Jeez, I wonder what the big deal is. You'd think that caveman bullshit like Deicide or Cannibal Corpse would appeal to posers or little kids more than complex bands such as Mudvayne or Mushroomhead. And prog bands aren't without their share of cheesiness and quirks. I see a lot of things better in a 3-minute Disturbed song than a 17-minute Yes one, and I like Yes.

When you call someone a nu-metal fan, they get all defensive. You shouldn't. No one says you have to listen to ONE style of music. It's okay to listen to nu-metal, because chances are you listen to something else. I've never met a pure power metal fan, either.

On the Opeth board, I admitted to liking some Limp Bizkit songs(the dumb juggernaut-type tracks like Rollin' as someone put it). It seemed like people lost all respect for me.

It's fear. An unnatural fear of liking something slightly mainstream. Look at all the posters who admitted to liking nu-metal bands. Shouldn't the atmosphere be a little more relaxed now?

And something I've been saying all along has been proven. People have different tastes. Some people like Disturbed. Others don't. It's how it should be. The fact that they're "nu-metal" should be irrelevant. And, Sevendust and Mudvayne aren't nu-metal! I'm glad some people finally said it...
win......

people are so nu-metal paranoid it makes me sick, just look at the "Tool's Lateralus a Masterpiece" thread and read dreamingofur's post about how he "used to like Tool"

whoever said Dave Draiman's voice is fantastic is obviously a n00b to the metal scene. He sounds like a monkey that just got kicked really hard, I've heard someone say. If you think his voice is fantastic, your brain is gonna blow the fuck up when you hear Vortex's voice (bass/back vox for Dimmu Borgir and a short bit of Borknagar). Vortex's clean voice is unbelievable and his growls and screams are better than most other vocalists. Draiman's voice is unique, yet not musically good. Have you seen how much trouble he has with it? he said acid from his stomach or something was catching his vocal chords and damaging them because his voice doesn't come easy to him. Disturbed's songs are generic and awfully boring.

This is weird. Most "metalheads" usually lack the testicular fortitude to admit they can even tolerate nu-metal. A lot of people consider Chimaira nu-metal, and if so; they are probably one of the only nu-metal bands I can tolerate. Slipknot would be alright if Corey actually let out a real yell.

NocturnalSun said:
whoever said Dave Draiman's voice is fantastic is obviously a n00b to the metal scene. He sounds like a monkey that just got kicked really hard, I've heard someone say. If you think his voice is fantastic, your brain is gonna blow the fuck up when you hear Vortex's voice (bass/back vox for Dimmu Borgir and a short bit of Borknagar). Vortex's clean voice is unbelievable and his growls and screams are better than most other vocalists. Draiman's voice is unique, yet not musically good. Have you seen how much trouble he has with it? he said acid from his stomach or something was catching his vocal chords and damaging them because his voice doesn't come easy to him. Disturbed's songs are generic and awfully boring.
I've heard Vortex. He's good, but not amazing either. I much prefer Draiman's voice.

OWNED.

And I'm a vocalist, too.

DOUBLE PWN3D!!!

Nihilistic said:
This is weird. Most "metalheads" usually lack the testicular fortitude to admit they can even tolerate nu-metal. A lot of people consider Chimaira nu-metal, and if so; they are probably one of the only nu-metal bands I can tolerate. Slipknot would be alright if Corey actually let out a real yell.
id like to see someone give one good reason why Chimaria would be nu-metal....

The commercial label, general audience, electronic experimental leanings...nothing concrete really. I don't consider Chimaira nu metal at all. The only strong argument for that case would be the excessively angsty relationship based lyrical approach to Pass Out Of Existence....but even that is largely discarded on The Impossibility Of Reason.

Nihilistic said:

Corey probably would let out a real yell but it would destroy his throat I reckon. His old work with Stone sour back in 1994 he sounded like he has no balls, a really clear light voice, sounded very good, now its groggy, so letting out any more bigger yells would destroy what he wants to do in the future. Ofcourse, that's only my perspective of it, maybe he just can't ;).

Chimaira - I wouldn't call them nu-metal now. But their first album sounded very nu metal, it's not as good as The Impossibilty of Reason. I still don't like the vocals but the newer background is pretty good.

whoever said Dave Draiman's voice is fantastic is obviously a n00b to the metal scene.
why would that be? Because they are pefering a mainstream vocalist? God forbid that ever happen, they might loose Metal points :rolleyes:
...Honestly, there are things called opinions, if someone preferes David Drainman, then they do, calling them a "n00b" isn't good enough, because it's not a solid arguement.

Originally Posted by anonymousnick2001
It's funny what this thread proves. I don't have my finger on it, but the hatred for nu-metal seems to stem from pressure from hardcore elitists or death metal/progressive fans. Jeez, I wonder what the big deal is. You'd think that caveman bullshit like Deicide or Cannibal Corpse would appeal to posers or little kids more than complex bands such as Mudvayne or Mushroomhead. And prog bands aren't without their share of cheesiness and quirks. I see a lot of things better in a 3-minute Disturbed song than a 17-minute Yes one, and I like Yes.

When you call someone a nu-metal fan, they get all defensive. You shouldn't. No one says you have to listen to ONE style of music. It's okay to listen to nu-metal, because chances are you listen to something else. I've never met a pure power metal fan, either.

On the Opeth board, I admitted to liking some Limp Bizkit songs(the dumb juggernaut-type tracks like Rollin' as someone put it). It seemed like people lost all respect for me.

It's fear. An unnatural fear of liking something slightly mainstream. Look at all the posters who admitted to liking nu-metal bands. Shouldn't the atmosphere be a little more relaxed now?

And something I've been saying all along has been proven. People have different tastes. Some people like Disturbed. Others don't. It's how it should be. The fact that they're "nu-metal" should be irrelevant. And, Sevendust and Mudvayne aren't nu-metal! I'm glad some people finally said it...
That's pretty true. On my old name (C-Taylor) I would get bad rep all the time, usually for liking mainstream bands along with metal bands, people think a combination of the both can't go toghether, it's just being close minded, or afraid of being ridiculed by other elitests. Elitests are what holds metal back from the masses because they are afraid of their bands getting any bigger, (i.e having more than a 50 person fanbase).

Personally I see nu-metal as an aid to metal. A lot of people start off wit nu-metal and get into heavier metal. I'd say over half of Slipknot fans either way do eventually listen to heavier, weither its thrash death or black metal.. I started with Limp Bizkit, then Slipknot, now I'm here posting this. :err:

System of a Down
Fear Factory (Obsolete) - since when its nu-metal? but since it was mentioned i'll put it anyway
The Darkness (but I believe that they are nothing to do with Nu Metal. Just nice to see proffesionals on the MTV sometimes.....)
Limp Bizkit - Some tracks off the 2nd and 3rd albums (childhood memories :lol:)
Korn (Issues) - same as limb bizkit

Nu metal will pass eventually, just like hair metal..... So I dont see a reason to be worried if on the Nu Metal glory wave we get a glimpse at some good old metal... ppl begin to recall band names like Pantera, Metallica would never get so much exposure if not the Nu Metal thing (Regardless the fact the St. Anger MUCHO sucked).

Relax....

Most metaheads don't like Nu-metal for the same reasons they don't like bad metal bands, it's crap. why anyone would want to listen to a wiggafied dumbed down version of metal is beyond me. The only explanation is really bad taste.

Necro Joe said:
Most metaheads don't like Nu-metal for the same reasons they don't like bad metal bands, it's crap. why anyone would want to listen to a wiggafied dumbed down version of metal is beyond me. The only explanation is really bad taste.
You're putting nu-metal on a linear hierarchical scale with extreme/underground whatever metal. That's not how it works. Nu-metal isn't a dumbed down version of underground metal, it's a different kind of metal altogether. When you say nu-metal is just an inferior, dumbed down thing, you irrevocably imply some kind of direct relationship....but nu-metal has practically nothing in common with other kinds of metal that we typically listen to. The truth is, nu-metal is on a parallel with other metal forms. It's an entirely different breed of metal. Yes, it's simpler, yes it's commercial etc, but what gives it value is it's uniqueness from other forms of metal. We don't listen to it in some delusional state, not realising that it's just inferior metal, below other kinds, we listen to it because it offers an aesthetic difference that we enjoy; properties that aren't present as part of a complete package in other kinds of metal.

Necro Joe said:
Music like art and beauty is subjective -people have different tastes. What's crap to one person isn't to another.

Anyway back to the question I can stand, and actually like Static X and some Slipknot and Limp Bizkit.

Stand Ablaze, I wasn't knocking him for liking a mainstream singer. You missed my point completely. Draiman has no vocal talent. Nick, you may be a vocalist, but I doubt you've come from a background where you were raised on singers from Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Rod Stewart to rock singers like Freddie Mercury/Queen and Eddie Vedder and so on. I come from a VERY diverse musical background and looking at Draiman, I see it requires no vocal talent at all to yell like he does.

If it requires no vocal talent, then it follows that everyone short of the orally disabled must be able to do it.

I can't imitate David Draiman.

What have we learned today?

=)

I disike boring derivitive music which has no redeeming features. Bands like Mudvayne or SOAD are forgivable because (although I think they're crap) they do have a certain originality. Bands like Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Disturbed etc just have nothing even remotly good about them. How does crossing rap with grunge and Korn/Faith no more style groove rock and throwing in an occasional stolen Iron Maiden or Slayer riff (see: Broken home by Papa Roach) make a good style of music?

Metal is the style of music I enjoy the most, anything rock-based that I like will inevitably get compared to my favourite metal bands so unless they offer something I can't get better from metal they don't stand much of a chance. What does mallcore offer? Angsty lyrics and mindless jumpdafuckup style groove is nothing I want to waste my time listening to.