Nu Metal singers- Are they a major reason for Nu-Metals Popularity?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Is Nu Metal popular becuase of the strength of its singers- and not the watered down music? I was thinking of this when I read that Ripper does a Nu Metal cover band- and was going on about what good singers the Nu Metal guys are.

SO, thinking about it, he may be right. Serj from System of a Down is a very very good singer- a Patton rip off- but still good. The Chester guy from Linkin Park can sing pretty damn well too. The Godsmack singer has a interesting voice, one that I think is the reason for the bands popularity( it sure the hell cant be that guitarist of theirs) The Deftones singer is very good. So, is this want the public wants- decent singers and crappy music- I think it is.

Godsmack's guy does have a good voice, I really like it. I dunno about what people want and crap but I don't care, I'm not them. :)

speed said:
Is Nu Metal popular becuase of the strength of its singers- and not the watered down music? I was thinking of this when I read that Ripper does a Nu Metal cover band- and was going on about what good singers the Nu Metal guys are.

SO, thinking about it, he may be right. Serj from System of a Down is a very very good singer- a Patton rip off- but still good. The Chester guy from Linkin Park can sing pretty damn well too. The Godsmack singer has a interesting voice, one that I think is the reason for the bands popularity( it sure the hell cant be that guitarist of theirs) The Deftones singer is very good. So, is this want the public wants- decent singers and crappy music- I think it is.
You might have a point here.. I like Corey Taylor's vocals - both clean and screaming, I think he could've been a very good frontman on any death metal band.. That guy from Disturbed is also decent - in fact, he IS the ONLY part of that band that's worth listening to - if you listen to their music, it's rarely anything worth writing about - he's the mastermind behind the band.. And while a lot of singers turn out to be whiny assholes, you can't take the fact that they're good away from them..

Nu-Metal is popular because of its down-to-earth-ness, because of its decent melodic bringing.. I know people that wonder: "why isn't Rhapsody popular?" Well, have you heard of Rhapsody's lyrics? It's like a fuckin fairy tale (no offense). Others wonder: "well, what about Nevermore? they're American and all that" - well, Nevermore is not as catchy. It's a harder music to get into, and, besides, it probably is their decision to stay in the shadows of mainstream... Etc..

I really loathe what I call the 'angst-yelling' that most of these guys seem to do. Also, the Korn singer has a shite voice. And SOAD have some great music.

Guardian of Darkness said:
I really loathe what I call the 'angst-yelling'

YES.
That's the one aspect of nu metal which will always keep me at bay, no matter how much praise everyone rains on the bassist...(Mudvayne).
I cannot stand that whiny, nasal tone.

I cannot stand nu metal vocals, if I wanted to here someone whine, I would call my mother up, damn, how can someone say the singer from Disturbed is any fucking good? "bat bat bat oom bat bat oompa loompa!" Who does he think he is, the fucking "Scat Man"? The only vocalist in a Nu band I like is the chick from Evenescencencence, and she rips off Lucuna Coil's vox, and whatshisnameit from SLipknot? WHo gives a shit about him I can do those vocals. Listen if you want to hear some good vocals, listen to any newer shit from TestAmenT, Chuck Billy has every possible voice imaginable, and he is great at all of them. Or Warrell Dane, I mean c'mon, there are so many better singers out there, anyone listen to Sting? Buy or rip Stings Mercury Falling-PLEASE I BEG OF YOU, JUST DO IT!

and did someone mention Serj Terwhatsit, *Aj does his best grover impersonation* AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

DAMN IT DAMN IT DAMN IT!

Also, the Korn singer has a shite voice.

Listen to thier self-titled album. Jonathan Davis has very unique vocals. Many bands try to copy KoRn's style, but none come close.

:lol:

You manage to almost agree with me, and still seem like an absolute idiot. Says a lot about me...

Serj's vocals are great though.

You got to admit, the "Scat Man" comment was pretty good.

"I'm the scat man, beeeeeeeee bee dee boo dop whoap, beeeeeeeee bee dee boo dop whoap!"

"Sydrome of a Down" is more like it.

People have been conditioned to enjoy sentimental, sappy vocal performances and nu(un) metal comes through.

These bands are angsty and thus appeal to directionless, depressed teens. They're not complicated structurally and they require little thought. Diluted, fecal music fit for mass consumption.

I agree about the Godsmack guy having a good voice, he sounds pretty vicious in his own way with his brit-accent.
But most of nu-metals popularity is based on production values, nothing more nothing less really.

Disturbed4ntics said:
British accent?

Haha.

Sully isn't from England. He is from New England though. He is a straight up Hick.
Yeah at least he is from up here, he still eats it though, if I wanted to listen to Lane Stayley, i would listen to Alice In Chains, a far better band IMO

Demiurge said:
"Sydrome of a Down" is more like it.

People have been conditioned to enjoy sentimental, sappy vocal performances and nu(un) metal comes through.

These bands are angsty and thus appeal to directionless, depressed teens. They're not complicated structurally and they require little thought. Diluted, fecal music fit for mass consumption.

geek.jpg

AjDeath said:
Yeah at least he is from up here, he still eats it though, if I wanted to listen to Lane Stayley, i would listen to Alice In Chains, a far better band IMO

Ok, this is going a little off-topic, but I am from Maine as well.

Indeed it is hell. :(

speed said:

Some of these guys maybe good singers , but I don't like it anyway, but the Godsmak singer is not good at all, I never really liked Ripper Owens he always seemed Nu Metal. It's an interesting point, but other things to make it popular could be The fact that it's the only kind of metal on the radio these days, also, I don't know what some people have against more serious metal but it is never favored in contests or anything else, it's like the people responsible for puting out music into bigger audiences don't want Serious Metal to come back.