What nu-metal do you like?

Spineshank is probably one of the only Nu-Metal bands I can bare.

Also, Disturbed. I really liked a concert of theirs I went to. Amazing. You have to respect David for what he can do with an audience. You really do.

I've always been a fan of Slipknot. i'm sorry. They're one of the reasons I actually got into death and black metal and whatnot. So sue me.

Aside from them, I like Mudvayne, System of A Down, Spineshank, Chimaira(seen 'em twice so far, once with Slayer and once with Lamb of god. gonna see em again on Tuesday with In Flames), and Evanescence.

And I utterly despised Disturbed's first record, but I've heard some songs off of their new album, and it's not half bad. Seriously, David Draiman can sing his ass off when he wants to, buit he spent most of their first album sounding like he was gagging on a cock.

plfffffft said:
I've always been a fan of Slipknot. i'm sorry. They're one of the reasons I actually got into death and black metal and whatnot. So sue me.

Same here.... when I first heard both the s/t and Iowa I thought they were way too heavy, but I began to like the really heavy stuff on Iowa and I became a big fan, and that is how I got into death metal or just heavier metal in general....

I don't really listen to them anymore because I have discovered countless bands that are much better then them (although they still aren't a bad band).... but I still have respect for Slipknot. They were my "gateway" band.

I want to take you to a gay bar.
Let's start a war, start a nuclear war, at the gay bar, gay bar, gay bar!
Now tell me, do you have any money?
I want to spend all your money at the gay bar, gay bar, gay bar!
I've got something to put in you, I've got something to put in you, I've got something to put in you, at the gay bar, gay bar, gay bar!
You're a superstar at the gay bar.

Disturbed4ntics said:
Spineshank is probably one of the only Nu-Metal bands I can bare.

Also, Disturbed. I really liked a concert of theirs I went to. Amazing. You have to respect David for what he can do with an audience. You really do.

What's that? Preaching anti-religious propaganda and crying-out for luvvy-duvvy metal brotherhood? Fuck that.

plfffffft said:
And I utterly despised Disturbed's first record, but I've heard some songs off of their new album, and it's not half bad. Seriously, David Draiman can sing his ass off when he wants to, buit he spent most of their first album sounding like he was gagging on a cock.

:lol: Yes indeed. All i've heard from Believe is the song Prayer, and it's not a bad song. Lame riffing but a catchy chorus.....Draiman has some talent but I find his voice extremely irritating, and he hasn't got much to show for all his self-loving.

tara said:
I like Static-X :oops: and some older Korn is okay too.

I love Wisconsin Death Trip.....really original, interesting stuff....but Machine is so awful that i've completely lost faith in anything they're gonna be doing in the future. Shame dat.

LordFireworm said:
I want to take you to a gay bar.
Let's start a war, start a nuclear war, at the gay bar, gay bar, gay bar!
Now tell me, do you have any money?
I want to spend all your money at the gay bar, gay bar, gay bar!
I've got something to put in you, I've got something to put in you, I've got something to put in you, at the gay bar, gay bar, gay bar!
You're a superstar at the gay bar.

I'm up for that! Why don't we go in our tr00 grim corpsepaint and chat-up some nu-metal trendies with good ol nihilistic Nietzschean philosophy!

Amen - They're some kicking hardcore punk. Fun to listen to.

Chimaira - Like this band if you want folks but I hate them. Talk about overrated. Their vocalist is just terrible. Sounds like he's wimping on the mic. They didn't deserve to tour with the almighty Lamb Of God.

Disturbed - Weak. Annoying vocalist. That's it.

Evanescene - Their singer is hot.....but that's it.

Ill Nino - I like some of their songs like Nothing's Clear and God Save Us alot but they sound like Linkin Park at times and that's a no no.

Static-X - I know some nu-metal kids think they're great and heavy. Pffft. My ass. Some songs are O.K but they're weak overall.

Is Sevendust considered nu-metal? I used to like their debut, but Home sucked cock.

Sorry, I'm just not well-versed in nu-metal. Which I guess is a good thing.

Yeah, Sevendust are nu-metal.

I dunno though, there are some worthwhile bands in nu-metal, MuDvAyNe being chief among them..... :D But ehm, I suppose underground metal has pretty much everything over nu-metal in general; more complexity, better musicianship, often more depth, better lyrical prowess in certain areas.....

I reckon it's helpful to think of nu-metal not on the same scale as underground metal, I mean, maybe not to consider it METAL at all (and thereby putting it way down on the relative scale), but rather a completely different form of music. (which i'm sure a lot of people think anyway, but in a totally negative way) It's more about catchiness and tangible energy, whether aggressive or harmonic....and although those can seem very commercial goals, it still remains that nu-metal has it's own character...plus of course some nu-metal bands are depthful and exhibit moods and themes that aren't found in underground metal. And of course, because it's a different sound, it's a different aesthetic, and you either like some things or you don't, so....

One of the things I like about nu-metal is the better aggressive vocals. While most underground metal growls or grunts or screeches or sings, a lot of good nu-metal just yells or screams, which is (imo) a very effective and tangible method of conveying energy.

Maybe some aggressive nu-metal groups have good vocalists but a lot of them sing and scream like pussies. Compare Papa Roach's vocalist to American Head Charge's. Big difference.

Hey, I love Sevendust. They actually have depth in thier music and I can take them seriously unlike many nu-metal bands.

Mudvayne are ok, but it gets very repetitive after a while.

System of a Down are interesting, and I even like bits of Linkin Park, just wish they'd vary the tempo a bit more. Would more recent Sepultura qualify? If Soulfly do....

Also liked Sinner by Drowning Pool.

I can listen to most nu metal for a bit, but after a while I yearn for actual songs rather than just riffs, and the lyrics really start to get on my nerves.

Slipknot got me into heavier music, but they are still my favorite band, maybe because they are the only band that actually gave a fuck and played belfast even though the turnout wasnt brilliant, and the show was the best thing ive ever seen :)