Nu-metal and Metalcore, are they Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attilio II

Jul 6, 2007
Oregon
*inspired by the Slipknot thread :erk:

they're either sub-genres of metal or their own, distinctive genre.

and if Nu-metal is a sub-genre, then sadly yes, Slipknot is metal.

Being that Metalcore is pretty much a crossover of New York styled hardcore and punk, with metallic elements thrown in, I wouldn't call them entirely metal, but there are metal elements in them. In the early scene, they weren't really metal. However, later, Metalcore began humping the shit out of At The Gates and In Flames, which gave them more of a metal edge. Over all, Metalcore is half-metal.

Nu-Metal, on the other hand, is not metal because it's origins come from funk, groove, and grunge rock, with rap elements thrown in. Then metal elements got thrown in the can, and Nu-Metal was born. Still, it focuses on groove and funk, and the heaviness of rock, rather than being metal. Nu-Metal is not metal.

metalcore is definitly metal

nu-metal is debateable, i think some bands like slipknot should be considered metal, while linkin park and limp bizket shouldn't

Being that Metalcore is pretty much a crossover of New York styled hardcore and punk, with metallic elements thrown in, I wouldn't call them entirely metal, but there are metal elements in them. In the early scene, they weren't really metal. However, later, Metalcore began humping the shit out of At The Gates and In Flames, which gave them more of a metal edge. Over all, Metalcore is half-metal.

If we follow that train of thought then traditional thrash metal is only half metal too since it's practically hardcore punk (in subject matter) :[

the people that listens to.

there is a big difference between people that listen metal and nu-shit-metal

haha true. all the nu-metal kids are trashy, uneducated mutants with no real interest in history, mythology, or the unknown.
they'd rather hear rage-filled songs about rage and get angry.

Metalcore, yes, Nu Metal, depends, I consider early Mudvayne and Slipknot Metal, but Limp Bizkit sounds a lot like rap music with a rock background, same thing with PoD.

Nope. Neither one. Nu-metal is poorly done hard rock, and metalcore is poorly done cat slaughter with forty fucking breakdowns in every song.

Status
Not open for further replies.