Stupidity in metal

Nobody seems to have a problem with slamming Slipknot for being shit and so on... thats good.

The problem seems to be in whether they're metal. Hmm, could I be considering them NOT metal because they just aren't??

With Slipknot, the debate becomes harder... They're fairly metallic in heaviness and such. Linkin Park, so on, the majority of Nu-metal bands sit squarely and fairly into the Hard Rock category.

However, my main reason for refusing to acknowledge them as metal is... *drumroll*
I'm a tr00 elitist assho... wait, no, wrong reason.
*looks again*

Ah yeah. Its because, in my view - they lack the metal vibe. Its why I call Katatonia a metal band, even if they're somewhat lightweight and rockish for a metal band. Its because when I listen to them, or read their lyrics, I feel like I'm listening to a metal band. Can't describe it better than that...

When I listen to Slipknot or Korn (to my irritation I might add), I feel like I'm listening to Grunge... heavier grunge perhaps, but grunge nevertheless. Or hardcore punk in some cases. But its just not giving off a metal vibe.

Admittedly, this reason has nothing to do with the simple style of music, the way its played etc.etc... but music is more than technicality and skill with an intrsument, or we'd all be listening to Wank Theatre.

My two cents....
I dont like Nu-Metal because its not to my taste, and i happen to think it is mostly money orientated, how many of these bands will still be around in 5 years time?
I like Black Metal, bands such as Burzum are no longer around but he still sells records.

I don't like this thread. *Can't think of anything worth posting* why did i bother posting this? :confused: maybe i shouldn't have. *shrugs*

I hate when some underground metal people bash System of a Down- i really think they are quite good- and very metal- i personally find Slipknot to be sound and masks and nothing more, but i would say they have more in common with speed metal than say disturbed or any of that other crap

I generally agree with you, NIN,
But I think it's slightly different (it might be that your idea was right, but I feel it was a bit distorted along the thread)...

Most of the people around here don't like Hammerfall for example, but I don't think anyone would say they are not Metal.
So to say "If it's a band you dont like, it's not metal..." isn't very accurate.

I think that many Metalfans get upset when they see other people, who never even heard an average Metal band, praising Nu-Metal bands as the best Metal bands ever (or something in that direction).
And maybe people just get this feeling when they see those bands get high places on the charts and placed in the Metal section in most music stores...

I bet there are also hardcore Rap fans that get upset when they hear someone calling Eminem the best Rapper around...

It's kinda complicated, why people say nu-metal is not metal...

I like this thread. :)

Yeah, I actually liked Guns and Roses and Def Leppard back in the day, but I didn't consider them to be metal bands because they are NOT. I don't make a distinction because of personal taste, I make a distinction based on the style of music they play, which is hard rock. I can't stand black metal or grindcore, but I don't deny them being metal. It's very presumptuous of you to assume that I, or anyone for that matter, label things based on personal preference.

Here's your argument in reverse: people consider Queensryche to be metal because they actually like them.

As for nu-metal, I would say it's like metal's bastard child. Technically, metal is the father, but he wants nothing to do with it. So slave laborers exploit the bastard for money :)

"Hard Rock and Heavy Metal pretty much go hand in hand, so making a stink between the differences is just stupid. Who cares? Is your life going to be ruined if someone calls a glam band Metal? Didnt think so. So why are you so offended by it? You dont like it....thats called life. Plenty of shit in life we dont like."

A) Metal and rock are separate styles of music all together.
B) Funny... you say that if you don't like it, that's called life, yet support the incessant whining of a total and utter metal n00b because he doesn't like the way that people dislike when music is miscategorized. Aren't similarities all subjective, anyway? What if I said that Intestinal Disgorge struck a striking similarity to the Monkees?

i think people dont want to include bands that they
dont like in their music. "metal"

you listen to metal music because you like it.
you don't like slipknot,
therefore it is not metal.

thats the reasoning behind it,
in fact, i fall victim to this as well
my friend will play cannibal corpse and i don't
like them, and won't acknowledge that as metal,
BUT IT IS!

I listen to slipknot and consider them metal
if you don't think slipknot is metal,
I have one thing to say to you

U = SHIT

if you took death metal and you mix it with the backstreet boys, you get nu metal. nu metal is not metal. how could you call linkin park metal? how could you even call them hard rock? how could you even call them a band? but whatever. i hate slipknot because they have absolutely no talent, their fans are like "yeah, i listen to slipknot. they are the heaviest band out there. i need attention. no one likes me.". that's just dumb. their fans are people who know nothing about what makes up the music, just that they say "fuck" a lot and talk about killing themselves, so they think it's cool. fuck slipknot and thier 11 year old fans.

no one is saying slipknot is the heaviest band out there,
hey inexorable demise, how can u say their fans know nothing about what makes up the music?
im a fan, but i also listen to a lot of other metal

slipknot is not the typical metal your probably use to,
but its good head-banging music in my opinion,

its also an invalid argument to say their fans are 11-year-olds,
why don't you make a valid point against their music, rather than making an insult that has nothing to do with their music

Theres More to Being Metal than playing Loud Distortion on your Gutairs Linkin Park ifor example is not Metal. Call me an asshole but Not everything the record companies say is Metal is. And yes there Are Metal Bands I do not like I don't liek Cannible Corpes but I say they are Metal I don't Care for Deicide they are Metal and to assoume that Load and Reload albums are metal is to buy into the Bulshit that the record companies say. If you classfiy Bands such as Linkin Park Limp Bitchquit Korn and such as Metal than you probnly should rethink your postion. If you like those bands and think there cool FINE. Ever one has the write to listen to whatever the fuck they please. But please know the differance between them and true Metal.

I agree with NIN. I actually posted kind of the same post in that "Bands you just hate" thread and also used the Pantera example. I don't know who posted first?
Anyway, I don't think people will say Slipknot isn't metal ONLY because they don't like it, as several people say, but also because of other things mentioned here ($, selling loads of records, fans who never listened to metal before, etc.).
I don't know why people wouldn't even call Linkin Park hard-rock. I think it can be catergorized this way:
Beatles, Rolling Stones, Oasis and so on is rock
Mr. Big, Slaughter and so on is harder than the above mentioned - They are hard-rock. Isn't Linkin Park harder than Mr. Big and Slaughter?
Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and so on is Heavy Metal. Isn't Slipknot more evil, faster and harder than Maiden?
Of course distorted guitars doesn't neccesarrily make a band metal. Jeff Buckley's "Eternal life" has distorted guitars, but I wouldn't call him metal. His a rock dude, but this song is one of his harder songs (hard-rock).
I think it's hard to define what is metal and not. A band like 3rd and the Mortal's first album, "Tears laid in earth" isn't even as hard as Iron Maiden, who is kind of the "templet" for metal, but 3rd and the Mortal is still considered metal (at least the first record by them).
I don't think lyrics has anything to do with it. Iron Maiden wrote a song about Alexander the Great, is that metal? Mayhem wrote lyrics about Satan, is that metal? Anal Cunt wrote a song about their local flowershop dealer, is that metal?
To me metal is all about the music, nothing else!!!

It is just a trend, a few years ago Goth was "in" then it became less popular and the kids started listening to Nu - metal, it will fade soon, but i hate to think what the next trend will be.;)

On some levels you are correct. I personally hate Slipknot because they suck. Just like Linkin Park and Papa Roach suck. I hate them because they claim to personify metal, and then sit on the cover on teen people magazine and play on MTV. I hate the scene, because its a bunch of 14 year olds thinking they are the most badass thing ever to come across the metal scene, and think that their shitty band is the best one out there, without even realizing what they're missing.

No point slammin the kids, they don't know better. and they don't have real control of the music that is being played. They haven't been around long enough. Do you remember some of the stuff that you or some of your friends where listening to. I do, it can be quite comical.

I understand the anger about other metal genres not getting the type of attention that they deserve, but would you really want it the other way around.:confused: Yes I would like to hear more metal genres on the radio, but I don't need to cause I got the CD's. I would like an easier way of discovering a new band. But you would also get a lot of copycat bands that don't deserve to get played. That is happening in Nu-metal and rock bands. Example; every rock band coming out of Canada that wants to make it big, have to sound like Creed and Nickleback. Have you ever listen to Adema and Linkin Park side by side, that's the only reason why Adema is getting attention is because of Linkin Park. They sound the same. You get my point.

I've wrote to much already so, there!!!:p

Good call, weapon x. I dont want my fave metal subgenres to get popular, cuz that will instantly dilute the good shit thats out there.

I overuse this example, but when that first Korn record came out, I liked it cuz it was totally different (let the savaging begin!). Not the most original thing ever (Mr. Bungle clearly had a hand in their sound), but it was different. Sure, I was tripping on acid the first 5 times I ever heard them, and that sure made them seem more different, but regardless, I liked it. Then they caught on, and addidas, Ibanez Universes, sub-Carcass tunings and braids/psuedo dreads were the 'in' thing, and it totally turned me off on it. Overexposure did that to me. I can say the same thing for RATM. I'm not much of a rap rock guy - I do like some, like Stuck Mojo - but at the time that they were new (circa 92-93), Rage was original, and I liked it. Then they caught on and I hated it cuz it was shoved down my throat. But I remember how much that sucked - finding bands I liked and were fairly new and different, but then they became a trend. It happens.

Shit, look at Roadrunner back in the early to mid nineties when they signed every fucking death metal band under the sun. It totally diluted it, and did it rather quickly. It took a couple years for the truly talented and original bands to break thru all the mediocrity, cuz there was so much of it. If you had an unintelligible logo and and grunter, it seemed like you got signed in that period. It was ridiculous.

So, point being, I totally prefer a band to not get popular so its not "Sandmanned" as I like to say (overplayed, overused, overexposed).

But getting back to the original thread, no matter what happens, someone isnt gonna consider something metal for a variety of reasons. As I posted earlier, I consider a lot of bands that other people call hard rock, metal. Thats just my perspective. I got pissy about it when I posted earlier, but then I was like "Who cares?" Potato, Potato, Tomato, Tomato (whoops - that example gets lost in the text without the verbal pronounciation).

One man's treasure is another's garbage, and that will never change.

Originally posted by IntoObscurity
On some levels you are correct. I personally hate Slipknot because they suck. Just like Linkin Park and Papa Roach suck. I hate them because they claim to personify metal, and then sit on the cover on teen people magazine and play on MTV. I hate the scene, because its a bunch of 14 year olds thinking they are the most badass thing ever to come across the metal scene, and think that their shitty band is the best one out there, without even realizing what they're missing.

Exactly

have you actually looked into there lyrics? there actually about the members of the band so there not saying "lets go commit suicide" and if you believe that well your a dumbass!! if little kids listen to them well good for them your not there mom so piss on some one else