Stupidity in metal

I Like Mudvayne & Slipknot & don't give a shit what type of metal it is....hell, call it pop-metal. Either way I could care less what people think, I like what I like. I won't bash anyone if they post their opinion here. I like a lot more than just metal, too. In fact, if you saw my CD collection you would get a few chuckles. Check my "now playing" once in a while and you will probably catch me listening to some crazy shit.:devil:

Stupidity in metal is so common. All these little scenesters and their attitude that everything they listen to is all there is. Most of the time there is a good reason these bands arent known. It's generally because they suck ass. Bands like Lividity, Waco Jesus, Disgorge, etc......Are all TERRIBLE. Also all this lo-fi black metal garbage that has been clogging the scene. Bands such as Graveland, Judas Iscariot, etc.......All it is is an excuse for not kn owing how to play an instrument. It's pathetic. I only get this way about it because its usually fans of these types of bands that give people crap for liking a "mainstream" band like Dark Tranquillity or Arch Enemy. It's really quite funny when you think about it. Grow up people!!!

Lets get to the point. Slipknot, System of a Down, Linkin Park, Mudvayne.... are NOT metal! They fall under the category mallcore. Metal consists of technical playing, a talented singer (more or less Im going by my like of Traditional and Power Metal although I fully respect and recognize black/death metal) MELODY, and members with TALENT. Mallcore consists of downtuned sludgy guitars, whiny lyrics, lack of any sort of guitar solo and usually include white guys rapping. Mallcore is formulatic. Wanna get your cd in Best Buy in six months? Heres how: Get a fat bald guy, a guy with a goatee, a guy with dreadlocks and a guy with short dyed hair. Downtune your guitars about 2 steps and write a song about your oppressed life / childhood and then send it off. I guarantee youll get a record deal.

Before any of you start saying Im closed minded, I just hate it cos its popular, well thats the dumbest fucking arguement Ive ever heard. I listen to Bonfire, Blind Guardian, Arch Enemy, Pretty Maids, Iron Maiden, Overkill, Virgin Steele, In Flames and Testament. Id say those are several different styles arent they? The reason people hate mallcore is because it ruins the metal name. It is untalented bullshit. Saying mallcore is metal to a real metalhead is like seeing your girlfriend raped by five angry gangbangers with AIDS. It is an abomination to the scene and it only encourages talentless and shitty bands to prosper.

Anyways thats my view on this whole debate.

Ben

Please don't add SOAD to that list of bands. Have you listen to them. They don't whine about bullies, they are more technical than you might think. I understand you don't like them, I had to give it a few spins to like them, and they aren't for everyone. The only thing I really don't like is their backup singer. And no they don't rap, but have a more unique vocal sound than most bands out there.

Looks don't make the music, but every new band does seem to go for those looks. If you remember the late 80's, then looks were just as important. Long hair, tightest jeans with ripped knees, cowboy boots. Come on bands all stick to a certain looks depending on musical style, that's just the way it is. How many thrash bands you know that where pants down to their knees and bandaid on their face, nor will you find Tony Bennet with long hair. So you get my point.

But yes I do agree with you generally about talentness of nu-metal as musicians. I miss solo's, but probably wouldn't want to hear theirs anyhow. That's what thrash and traditional metal bands are for. Solo's ain't the only reason why I perfer traditional metal over this new stuff. Over all it is just better. Most people here do perfer metal more anyway's that's why we are all here.

You know what?

Right now, I was just listening to Tool. Last night, I was listening to A Perfect Circle and the Smashing Pumpkins.

I like them... in that, there's no harm, no foul.

I also realize what they are and what they aren't: They are all rock, Tool being hard rock.

Like what you want... but don't try and drag nu-garbage into a scene that it doesn't belong in.

I like to think of Slipknot as a catalyst that encourages kids to look harder for more metal. Maybe they will see how Kerry King likes them and want to go out and pick up some Slayer. Or they may have seen the Slipknot tour with In Flames..and now they are listening to In Flames...which in turn gets them interested in Dark Tranquility.....etc....call me the eternal optimist:D

Hmm, i've read everyones opnions and i personally believe the following.

There is no actual script dating million years ago saying what is metal, what isnt metal, and whats right and wrong. Therefore everyone is going to have opinions, different opinions at that.

If kids like slipknot, linkin park etc, well let them, its their deal. Hey, it may even lead them into the genre more and they will grow up with slayer in album collection. I've always found it annoying with the 10 year olds wearing the band merch but hey, what can we do about it. There is always going to be bands around which catalyse the media machine and nu-metal genre. There will always be shit popular bands, and decent undeground.

I say, fuck what you don't like...listen to what you DO like. :p

I agree with both of the last two posts. I've just got back from a Capdown gig - I like, they have distorted guitars, heavy drumwork... but they're not metal. They're punk. Punk is not Metal. Ditto, neither is Nu Metal Metal.