Regarding nu metal and metalcore

vgmaster9

Jun 30, 2012
Do you feel that nu metal is poor man's groove metal and that metalcore is poor man's melodic death metal?

I feel that nu metal wasn't ever a genre. It was a time. Korn, Deftones, Static-X, Slipknot, System of a Down, Limp Bizkit, they didn't sound anything alike.

Metalcore is later hardcore with a few metal riffs.

Nu-metal is "Rap/rock" with Anthrax riffs.

You're confusing "metalcore" with "metallic hardcore".

Also, the "rap/rock" thing doesn't really work because that wouldn't explain why bands like Static-X or Korn fall into that category since (with the exception of ONE Korn song) there wasn't a bit of rap or Anthrax riffage to be found in either of them. Or most of the nu-bands who weren't Limp Bizkit.

You're confusing "metalcore" with "metallic hardcore".

Also, the "rap/rock" thing doesn't really work because that wouldn't explain why bands like Static-X or Korn fall into that category since (with the exception of ONE Korn song) there wasn't a bit of rap or Anthrax riffage to be found in either of them. Or most of the nu-bands who weren't Limp Bizkit.

I disagree. Metallic hardcore has been around for years, but metalcore is pretty clearly a hybrid with mostly late hardcore influences.

Korn and Static-X use the rhythms of rap, but apply them to the guitars more than the vocals. You can apply hip-hop in any form, kind of like that Autechre song where they have the keyboard "rap" through a melody line.

As regards nu metal, for me it was a period. In this period, we can stand out bands as for example, Sistem of a down or Slipknot.
Talking about "metalcore", and any kind of music ending in "core", for me they are simply shit. For me, any "core" music is just a lot of noise and screaming vocals mixed with very loud instruments. That's all, only a gang of teens trying to be dangerous.

For me, any "core" music is just a lot of noise and screaming vocals mixed with very loud instruments. That's all, only a gang of teens trying to be dangerous.

Hey, funny, you just said what absolutely everyone who doesn't like metal claims metal is. Good job.

Dismissing an entire genre as shit is just ignorant. Everything has good and bad in it.

I have to confess that i like some of the metalcore bands. Biggest problem i have with it though is that almost every band does the same fucking thing. Very few of the bands in that scene experiments anything or tries anything new. And whats up with the tattoos? You also have to be covered in ink order to play metalcore.

As I Lay Dying and In Flames may play shitty metalcore, but keep in mind that Converge, Starkweather, Breach, and Old Man Gloom also play music that is arguably metal mixed with hardcore, and therefore metalcore.

As I Lay Dying and In Flames may play shitty metalcore, but keep in mind that Converge, Starkweather, Breach, and Old Man Gloom also play music that is arguably metal mixed with hardcore, and therefore metalcore.

Those are all what I would consider real metalcore, all the bands considered metalcore these days sound nothing like these bands.