Nu Metal

Originally posted by parimal2k29
Nah... i meant was that they're not metal, but they call themselves nu-metal (in which case, NU means ANTI)... and ruin the name of 'metal' by usingthe word 'metal' in their genre, which, unfortunately, happens to be ANTI-METAL (nu-metal)
so, that's how they ruin the VERY essence on metal :)

But to be callled metal in the first place, they must be metal to the majority, and while they may be ruining the genre for some, for many others they are the entire basis of metal...or what they believe it to be, so they must be, in one form, metal

:rolleyes: how do you quote ANOTHER PERSON so tat the text goes bold and it says the 'originally poster by someone'???
:confused:
You hit the "quote" button on the bottom right of each msg.

Originally posted by godisanathiest

But to be callled metal in the first place, they must be metal to the majority, and while they may be ruining the genre for some, for many others they are the entire basis of metal...or what they believe it to be, so they must be, in one form, metal
It all depends on how you define metal and what you perceive as metal.
It is all a matter of perception.
I laugh at the respectfull bullshitters of the music industry that make up names so that they can attract kiddies and mean dudes wanna bes. And the bait "metal" is very tempting.
No, gentlemen to me and anyone else who respects the word metal as a definition of the best musical style or amongst the best, these NU groups have nothing to do with metal.

If go in front of a great painting and start painting and start painting what i see, the result might have some slight similarities to the painting, but this does not make me a painter. It makes me an asshole. Especially if i try to sell my creation having define it as a painting. :lol:

NU is NU. Metal holds no responsibility for it. Metal holds responsibility for metal alone. ouph.

hell yeah...
anyway,for me,only SLIPKNOT and MUDVAYNE did their metal ways (i mean some death metal influence although they have some rap twisted there!!),anyway,they still a shit band.....like pantera did...from some technical heavy metal to nu-thrashcore something(...??)..what da' heck........
but the point is,how can be a oldskool metaller can accept this nu-metal genre??how can they think about this genre??is it in their mind it is shit or fucking else?? i have no idea......because sometimes i listen to soulfly and sepultura sound(especially nu-sepultura,when they had made a thrash metal combine some nu-pantera or soulfly did on their music....fuck ya!!!)

Originally posted by goregoat
hell yeah...
anyway,for me,only SLIPKNOT and MUDVAYNE did their metal ways (i mean some death metal influence although they have some rap twisted there!!),anyway,they still a shit band.....like pantera did...from some technical heavy metal to nu-thrashcore something(...??)..what da' heck........
but the point is,how can be a oldskool metaller can accept this nu-metal genre??how can they think about this genre??is it in their mind it is shit or fucking else?? i have no idea......because sometimes i listen to soulfly and sepultura sound(especially nu-sepultura,when they had made a thrash metal combine some nu-pantera or soulfly did on their music....fuck ya!!!)
Old school metaller here. And I don't accept the term metal as a second element of NU. :D
That is all i am saying. I don't consider this metal at all.
Metal is for me structured music with reason to exist (the best one). That is not music. No reason to exist at all. :bah:

Originally posted by godisanathiest

No... grrrr (u are one to-the-point guy :) )

Ok here goes nothing...
nu-metal call themselves 'metal' becasue they have heavy music and the kiddes simply adore them. Metal was kept so that the kiddies can boast saying they listened to metal, in front of guys who'll listen to Alternative music. Now, since 'anti-metal' is their genre, - they are againt metal, not metal, but NU (Anti) metal. No mojority here... simply not metal. Where... they shout and play one chord in heavy distortion, with horrible drums which never synchronise with the power-chords....but the heavy-ness makes it look like metal... BUT ISN'T!!!! It's crap... :puke:

those who understand...well... understand :D !
(i know how to quote ppl now - thanx to metalized :headbang:)

Ok, after managing to read through all the posts in this thread, I think I'll add my bit to the discussion. In my opinion the genre called Nu-metal takes elements from two of the most famous music genres of today, metal and hip-hop (that doesn't mean that it takes the best parts from both genres or that all the bands manage to mix them perfectly). In my opinion it has become a fashion (especially in U.S.A.), because it's a "safe" way for the adolescents to express their anger or rage or rebellion or I don't know what else. The easy way to express your differences with the system or society is to say "fuck you" (like many of these bands do), the difficult is to express your opinions with arguments. So, mainly because most of the young people around are impressed easily by that kind of attitude (same happened with punk rock in the lates 70's, though there the background of the bands was totally different). The question originally set in this thread was if we consider Nu-metal to be a part of metal. To answer that I believe that first we must answer the question what is metal and if someone can give me an accurate description of what is metal I'd be in his(or her) debt. I don't know why but I got the impression from many of the posts of the following opinion : "I don't like it, hence it's not metal". For me, bands like Slipknot or System Of A Down are very close to metal and I can't understand why bands like these (especially SOAD) are considered totally alien to metal. Can someone explain me why Slayer are metal and Slipknot aren't? As for what Metalized said about Nu-metal not being music and having no reason to exist, I have to say that I know a lot of people who don't consider black metal to be music (just a noise). Should we say that Darkthrone have no reason to exist? And in order to finally end this long (too long?) post I must say that personally I'm not that moved by nu-metal, mainly because I don't like hip-hop and the music structures that it has. The fact that I don't like it though doesn't automatically mean that it's no good at all. It expresses the feelings of some people and that alone gives it a reason to exist.

Originally posted by Kveldssanger
His whole post. (i take it that you are a HE :D )
Very true... I didn't say BM has reason to exist. Most of it is pure noise and shitty IMHO. And NU is not metal as i understand the term metal. Of course. You r very right, but it is all a matter of definition, isn't it? And i define metal as i have lived it, through out all the years i listen to metal. I understand it like that. If my mind is limited and can't understand the real definition of metal or other things, tough luck for me.:rolleyes:

But NU is not metal. FOR ME. (i don't like it at all, of course, but this is not the point)

And if you can't tell the difference between Slayer and Slipknot, tough luck for you then. :rolleyes: :D

Well, I must admit that I haven't until today managed to exactly define what is metal. I tried to categorize things as metal or not, but I believe this only leads to the exclusion of a lot of interesting music. The point I was trying to make (maybe badly :) ) is : does it really matter if Nu-metal is a part of metal or not? If you like it, listen to it, if you don't like it choose something else. Why do we need to give so much importance to labels?
And yes I can tell the difference between Slayer and Slipknot but that doesn't mean I can understand what makes the first a metal band and the second just clowns... :D

Originally posted by Kveldssanger
Well, I must admit that I haven't until today managed to exactly define what is metal. I tried to categorize things as metal or not, but I believe this only leads to the exclusion of a lot of interesting music. The point I was trying to make (maybe badly :) ) is : does it really matter if Nu-metal is a part of metal or not? If you like it, listen to it, if you don't like it choose something else. Why do we need to give so much importance to labels?
And yes I can tell the difference between Slayer and Slipknot but that doesn't mean I can understand what makes the first a metal band and the second just clowns... :D
Very true! The definition to every thing that consists our society, with the exception of the things we, as society have accepted as granted/rules/given facts/ is mere a interpretension of the definer's way of perceiving these things. This includes metal.

Ur point is clear, understandable, and very close to my way of thinking. True. If u like it, listen to it. If u don't like it don't listen to it. Metal :headbang: or no metal:puke:. :D

It is just the starter of this thread posted a question and i felt the need to share my opinion with him (or her) and the rest of the UM.

As long as slayer and slipknot is concerned. Well I define slayer metal because they have metal riffs and solos and i define slipknot NU because they suck IMHO. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Check Reverend Bizarre for really heavy doom. :headbang:

No... grrrr (u are one to-the-point guy :) )

Ok here goes nothing...
nu-metal call themselves 'metal' becasue they have heavy music and the kiddes simply adore them. Metal was kept so that the kiddies can boast saying they listened to metal, in front of guys who'll listen to Alternative music. Now, since 'anti-metal' is their genre, - they are againt metal, not metal, but NU (Anti) metal. No mojority here... simply not metal. Where... they shout and play one chord in heavy distortion, with horrible drums which never synchronise with the power-chords....but the heavy-ness makes it look like metal... BUT ISN'T!!!! It's crap... :puke:

those who understand...well... understand :D !
(i know how to quote ppl now - thanx to metalized :headbang:)

I understand what you are saying, completely, I just think it is innacurate :loco:

Due to the subjectivity of the term "metal", if we talk about the genre collectively we have to include bands/sub-genres you may not believe are metal, but most others do. So to you, while they may not be metal, because of the commonly-held belief they are when talking about metal in general I think it is sensible to include them...

But really, who cares. Metal is a label.... its just assigned to music as a descriptive tool.... All that really matters is whether you like it or not, and I can safely say I dislike the majority of nu-metal..

True metal is best when its played live. I have not yet been to many gigs, but I've always been pretty pleased with it. I mean, true metal sounds live at least as good as from the CD but what I've heard or read eg Slipknot is one loud of a shit live. (never been any nu-"metal" gig, though. Heh, that would be a blasphemy:D)

Ok, GIAA... now I understand wat YOU mean... :d !
While it may seem like crap to us, it's music for those who like it... and we don't agree to this, because we feel hat they're spoiling the name of metal... yea...G.I.A.A has a nice point (See...i understand late)...also metalized... listen to it if you like it, else, throw the crap away! simple!!!
well, maybe my weird bhaviour comes because there are no one who understand metal, except for those tho listen to nu-metal... and it's becoming a prblem, and its annoying me...but yea...i go with GIAA and metalized :d

maybe what is nu -metal should also be defined..
i dont think Linkin Park and limp bisquit have nothin to do with system of a Down or soulfly- right?

Slipknot may be some kind of metal but they suck nevertheless .
But then again they re more metal than most hair metal bands like tesla and dokken
ahh.. fuck it