'NU Metal' - any takers?

well u could say that i dont have a broad taste by not liking nu-metal but the reason is because i dont actually like it, simple as that. theres no high octane vocals !!!!!! besides i like other forms of music as well, just not nu-metal, and i KNOW for a fact that loads of "nu--metallers" dont even like metal its just coz its the "in" thing and that sucks big time, those people who arnt true to themselves should be shot!!

no i didnt say that all mumetallers should be shot, its the ones who like it coz its in they wont be metal fans in a few years, you are probably a proper fan its the fake ones that piss me off, and there are a lot of them in the nu metal community.

I think there's quite a difference between bands with

a) no musical talent
b) no lyrical talent (not talking vocals..)
c) songs written to arouse the general public in some form or fashion
d) popularity from a song/hook or look

(and for the purposes of this post, this will be referred to as "nu-metal")

and bands with

a) musical talent
b) insightful lyrics of some fashion
c) artisic integrity
d) popularity for such viable reasons

Now, while I definitely consider Linkin Park to be a travesty upon all that is even remotely heavy, I consider TooL, which is more popular at last check, to be a truly unique and vital band. So, based on the above definition, I dislike all "nu-metal" bands. Dislike, not HATE, and that leaves room for atonement on their part. If a band has integrity and talent, genre notwithstanding, I'll give them a chance. A talented musician is a talented musician no matter what the crap he/she plays.

The entire rap-metal issue is a completely different animal, which brings up some thoughts about innovation, etc. But it's not metal.

Some bands, generally classified as "nu-metal," have only become so recently. An example is Korn. While their recent work has been, basically, crap, their first album was quite heavy and at the time, relatively unpopular. So at the time, they would have been considered "metal." Then the bad albums came out, and they got tagged "nu-metal." And I mourn this loss.

My question is.. what will happen if a favourite "metal" band starts making crap like the new Korn? Will they become "nu-metal" and consequently be thrown amongst the Linkin Parks and Papa Roaches?

The day I see Morbid Angel in the "Rock" section will be a sad day indeed. Let's hope it never comes.

And the author never intended to imply that TooL was metal. Since he'd be flamed incessantly for that. Cuz they're not. And sorry if this makes no sense, I've gone back over it a few times.

Hmm

I was in a magazine shop recently and I don't know in what music mag they were talking about Slipknot doing their 2nd album so I read it and they say they are into "Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, the old-school shit"

That's hardly grindcore

And they said they liked blastbeats and grinding riffs...

Let me laugh...I doubt they even know what it is...lol

If they associate blastbeats with old heavy-speed metal bands...it's a bad sign.

Nah, Slipknot's new stuff ain't grindcore by a long shot. Occasionally it might bear a passing resemblance to death metal, but for the most part its still the regular hardcore/rap crossover that it was before. It is a lot heavier than previously though - talking from a nu-metal perspective, of course... :p

My question is.. what will happen if a favourite "metal" band starts making crap like the new Korn? Will they become "nu-metal" and consequently be thrown amongst the Linkin Parks and Papa Roaches?

The new Fear Factory album answers this question nicely, I think. When a band deviates 180 degrees from their origin, see Soul of a New Machine, and, to a lesser extent, Demanufacture, and starts turning out the same repetitive album [man vs. machine concept goes back to De... and they repeated it for the next two subsequent albums], recycling lyric concepts and simplifying their sound, it becomes obvious that they are trying to attract the trend-following legion. A band starts out angry, with a purpose to exist, and this anger lessens with each album until they fit the mold of everyone else.

I'm still slightly ashamed to admit that I went to Sno-Core '01 to see Fear Factory, who had been my favorite "metal" band for the past five years, start treating the whole crowd as if they were all under eighteen...:mad: Another band with talent takes the easy route to fame. Do I still listen to their old stuff, yes; will I purchase any subsequent release, nope. They showed the audience they're gearing towards with Digimortal, and I refuse to be a part of them watering down their own sound.

Give me Nile any day.:)

the gods made heavy metal,
and all nu metal is crap!

nu-metal is just another word for crap and has nothing to do with metal. lets face it, all those Wimp Bizkid junk, Linkin Park, etc only pretend to be metal: sure they have some guitars, some even have guitar soli but i will always prefer good old Megadeth, mighty Maiden or Blaze! the REAL metal, not the NUcrap!

cheers,
up the irons,
hail and kill,
metal up yer asses,
lightnin

Originally posted by Riotus
I like some Linkin Park - but Slipknot are good - especially live. I think the new stuff is gonna be Grind Core!!

It's hardly grind core...same shit with a more 'evil' image...they have the talent to play great death or grind but you can't make money, and you dont need bucket players and dj's and clowns to make good death metal and grind.

Originally posted by dill_the_devil
[B You might say I'm something of a schizoid in my musical tastes - after all, yesterday I was listening to Opeth and today I'm listening to Less Than Jake - but as I see it, that can only be to my benefit, as it means that I can glean enjoyment from a whole wide range of bands from different styles and genres, rather than only being pleased by a very narrow selection of bands. ]

I agree Dill, and while I'm not laughing at your tastes, I don't really see the benefit. As you say, it means"you can glean enjoyment from a whole wide range of bands from different genres". That's fine. But instead of going from Opeth to Less than Jake. Why not go from Opeth to Slayer. From Sigh to Kyuss. From Hollenthon to Asphyx. We are not limiting ourselves. Their are plenty of "different styles and genres" out there already within the all-encompassing metal genre.

I have tried it all. I've tried listenign to Country It's too redundant. I've tried rap. It's simply dreadful. So I CHOOSE not to venture out of the realm of metal.

[In fact, I feel slightly sorry for most of the people who've replied to this post so far - how depressing it must be to have to really hunt for music you enjoy, ]

No not really. I rather enjoy hunting for music. It is much more rewarding hunting for it, than going to the local Best Buy or mall music store and buying it there, where all the nu-kids are hangin out

[and to have it ignored by the masses of people who call themselves 'metallers' these days. ]

Don't need no mainstream representation. Money is the root of all sell-outs

[At least, while I may wish a few of my nu-metal mates would progress to some 'proper' metal, I can still join a mosh pit and 'Get the fuck up' with the rest of them and enjoy myself just as much.]

Don't want no nu-kids here. Don't need no nu-kids here. Stay away. I could try to 'Get the fuck up' with the rest of them, but would just start laughing at them. Keep metal pure.