'NU Metal' - any takers?

Every kid I have talked to that listens to this music, seems to be a damn idiot (maybe because I think they are one before I even talk to them). But I can't stand hanging around these people, they annoy me a lot. Closest thing to mallcore I listen to would be A Perfect Circle.

Originally posted by The Trooper
That is the main problem with people calling this new stuff metal, it is invading the little that was left of heavy metal coverage in the media. Now if people say metal is gonna be on a show or something, it's actually Slipknot or something. It sucks.
Is like what happened to me the other day....I was at a party and some guy asked me what sort of music I like and I told him metal, and his response was, "oh, like Slipknot and stuff", to which I replied "no, real metal".

Is not necessarily the particular persons fault either, as he may have just recalled what is represented in the media as "metal" when he heard the word. Oh, does it shit me.

Slipknot, now there's a band that should be kicked in the nuts repeatedly.

I've heard better farts than Linkin Park's 'music'.

I usually call it mallcore, like trooper said. Or shopping mall music - mass produced, mass marketed, sold to the masses - played in shopping malls. These bands seem to be a dime a dozen.

Why do you all waste so much time and energy worrying about what's on fuken MTV? Just ignore it, go get your hands on some decent metal, and bang your fuken head!
may I suggest the new Arch Enemy....

`mallcore` heheheh that makes me laugh

In no way do I accept "nu-metal" as metal at all, nor do I advocate it in any way. The closest music to "nu-metal" that I will listen to would be the newer Katatonia releases. And they are not close to it at all.

Ozzfest is a complete joke! I halfway want to see Black Sabbath, but I don't want to pay that much money just to see them. I also don't think I could put up with all the nu-metal bands or their fans.

I know what you mean there. I'd kill to see Black Sabbath, but I wouldn't wanna see them in an audience of skaters and rappers and Korn fans. Ugh.

I completely agree with you guys. Nu metal isn't metal at all. It really pisses me off when I talk to someone and tell them I listen and create metal music and then they start referring to bands like Slipknot, Korn, Limp Dick, etc. Then I'm like "You don't have a fucking clue what metal even is!" That shit is heavy music, yes, but metal, no. It's like people have forgotten what metal in the 80's even was. But all in all, it's kind of cool 'cause all those jerk-offs can listen to that SHIT while I spend my time in the underground listening to true metal. One of the coolest things about true metal is and always has been that it is not "popular".

www.mp3.com/soulforlorn

Exactly, and because nu-metal is so different, people then think real metal isn't metal and just rock! *Shakes head*

A chick told me the other day she thinks Manowar are girly pretty boy rock pussies. PFFFT! Just because they don't detune 1786023857 octaves? Manowar are pure STEEL!

And also, personally I regard 80s glam metal as metal as well, but not true metal obviously because its so pop influenced, but to me it is still a form of metal. Because really, it is glamourized metal. It is still high vocals, big guitar solos, same style riffs, loud drums, long hair, leather, denim, energetic live shows, etc... just all glammed over for the mainstream. For example, Skid Row and Motley Crue are no doubt metal bands. And it really shits me that now people don't recognise that at all as metal, and say its rock or pop rock... then they go and call a band that wears sports clothes and has rapping and hip hop beats and DJ sampling "metal" just coz its heavy. PFFFT!

I hate the music industry.

OK you will probably all hate me for saying this, but I do like SOME Nu metal (by some i mean Slipknot, Disturbed, Amen and thats about it). I would guess this is because being only 15 I have been brought up with it. HOWEVER, I am in no way saying that I only like Nu metal, I would much rather have been born into the early Pantera or Maiden generation. I like my music extremely fast and severely hard, that is why my neck hurts so much after concerts!! There is no excuse for the name nu metal being used for bands like Limp Bizkit alongside better nu metal such as Disturbed or Amen. I agree wholeheartedly that there are too many people who think nu metal is "da fuckin bomb innit" because they must live very sheltered lives. NEVER HEARD OF IRON MAIDEN? WHAT ABOUT SLAYER? MEGADETH? didn't think so. Even though I am 15 I have to put up with people that over-rate nu metal, and who argue that i know nothing about music because I like older bands. Bands such as Limp Bizkit and Papa roach aren't metal, they are pop music. I am hoping some people will agree that it does take a certain degree of talent to play any instrument, so perhaps some of your words are a little harsh, but over all I would probably prefer to listen to Obituary than Korn anytime. Try this as well, many of my friends are at Ozzfest today, but me, I am waiting for Bloodstock on monday, where english METAL bands will be playing. PROPER BLOODY METAL! So lets all think that at least one child hasn't been brainwashed by the call of Nu metal. That is all.

Oh boy, am I ever gonna be an outcast on thsi board before I've even started out...
Here goes.
I like nu-metal. <sharp intake of breath>. Yes, I like it. I don't care whether 'they hardly play solos', as someone said. I also couldn't care less whether you consider it metal or not. You could call all the music I listen to country-and-western or hard-house for all I care - whatever it's labelled the fact remains that it's still music and I still enjoy it.
However - and here's where I may redeem myself somewhat - I also like a lot of stuff that will never be classified as nu-metal in a million years, and I agree that a lot of nu-metal acts lack imagination when it comes to song and lyric writing. I like listening to Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Slayer, Megadeth, Opeth, Katatonia, Nasum, Napalm Death, Obituary, and a legion of other bands that most dedicated mallmetallers would turn up their overly pierced noses at.
You might say I'm something of a schizoid in my musical tastes - after all, yesterday I was listening to Opeth and today I'm listening to Less Than Jake - but as I see it, that can only be to my benefit, as it means that I can glean enjoyment from a whole wide range of bands from different styles and genres, rather than only being pleased by a very narrow selection of bands. In fact, I feel slightly sorry for most of the people who've replied to this post so far - how depressing it must be to have to really hunt for music you enjoy, and to have it ignored by the masses of people who call themselves 'metallers' these days. At least, while I may wish a few of my nu-metal mates would progress to some 'proper' metal, I can still join a mosh pit and 'Get the fuck up' with the rest of them and enjoy myself just as much.

I like Slipknot and Deftones, as also the second album of Korn (Life is Peachy). On the other hand Limp Bizkit is one of the worst bands ever. And what becomes to nu-metal not beind metal....It has the fucking heavy-guitars and thats more than enough. We call Manowar and early Black Sabbath metal too, so why not nu? It's more heavier anyway.