Nu - Metal

Cheese

Mighty God Of Everything
Sep 26, 2002
UK
Visit site
What is your opinion on it? Personally I think 90% of it is crap, however, Pitchshifter and new Sepultura (I have heard it to be considered nu-metal) are pretty good.

I'd say 99.9% is total crap. There is maybe one i like but can't think of so i will give it the 0.1%.:p There are some bands I like that some might consider nu-metal but i don't classify it as that. Like Rammstein-They're not complex, fast, or whatever, but for some reason I enjoy listining to them.

Some Nu-metal is pretty good. I don't think it is all bad. PPL reacte as if Christina Aguillira (sp?) is going metal (I've heard she wants to go rock and change her name to X-Tina....but that's a different thread :) )

I've found Sepultura's Nation 100 times better than Against, I think it's pretty damn good. Godsmack (are they consider Nu-Metal) & Disturbed are alright.

I just don't like the whiney bitch bands like Limp Bizkit and Korn.

It all sucks IMO, but then again, I think Dream THeater and power metal suck, so what do I know?

Originally posted by Fangface2k
Dreamlord, Dream Theater and Power/Speed Metal is the best Music there is! Well, atleast you know enough to realize your opinion is meaningless and worthless, Lol. All Nu-Metal sucks.

I appreciate the talent and skll it takes to write and play progressive and power metal, but I just can't get into it. To me, it sounds like pure Velveeta. But I can see why it appeals to so many. :)

The feedback is appreciated, but in my defense :

The editorial is basically my personal opinion on the subject, so anything I feel is related to backing up that opinion is 'necessary'. The comparison of the 'notoriety versus productivity' of the Inner Circle and the 'image versus content' argument against nu-metal is, I think, a valid and illuminating one. So, it stays. Sorry if you disapprove...

Just out of interest, why do you feel it's unnecessary?

Originally posted by dill_the_devil
http://www.geocities.com/philwhitehouse/nu.htm

That's my editorial on the subject of nu-metal which was written for Ultimate Metal and will soon be added to the site... guess you guys can consider this a sneak preview. Hehehe...

Cheers, I'd been looking to read that :) Good work! But some criticism (only on opinion, not stylisticaly). I would have liked to see more mention on the funk influences in nu-metal, afterall, korn who pretty much helped start the angst ridden nu-metal of today had strong funk influences, especially in the bass work. And the fact that many different styles are still put under the nu-metal banner, whereas there is infact a lot of variation.

Perhaps more about it's pick-up into the mainstream, how this came about and why it's becoming so popular. Also the fact many extreme elitist's views stem from their own insecurities - they resent the fact that "metal" is becoming en-vogue, and they don't want to be lumped in with people new to the genre, told they are following fashion, and resent the fact lots of people may listen to nu-metal, move on to "truer" music when they were there originaly... Plus the fact that since metal's beginnings in the late 70's and 80's every few years one form of metal has become popular, had moderate success in the charts and then gone-underground again, as will nu-metal in all likelihood.

It cannot be argued that, in general, nu-metal is far more simplistic music than much extreme metal. But, does that necessarily make it worse music? To millions of people who bought Korn’s breakthrough opus ‘Follow The Leader’ or took Limp Bizkit’s ‘Rolling’ single to number one on the charts, it would appear not.

Should that be it can be argued? It kinda reads like it should be :)

Thinking about it perhaps you could mention the fact that commercial success in more extreme bands also prompts similar feelings to those aimed at nu-metal bands. Similarities can be drawn with the extreme metal underground and those of electronic extreme fans towards dance/techno etc. and most other genres which have an underground and commercially successful sub-genre(s). ANywho, that's me gabbling, so I'll stop now! Cool editorial, it made me think! :)

Let’s face it - Slipknot have grindcore and death metal influences (and their former members made up part of bands like Anal Blast), Mudvayne are doing what basically amounts to a rendition of The Dillinger Escape Plan for the mainstream, and Killswitch Engage are taking thrash-lite to the masses - the time will come when the mainstream open their eyes to extreme music, and the floodgates will open. As the passing of grunge allowed for the blooming of nu-metal, so will the bursting of the nu-bubble rain down fertilising showers of attention upon the underground."

Call attention to the underground? Wouldn't that dissolve it? The underground by DEFINITION is out of the general public's eye. Wouldn't it be absurd to refer to it as 'the underground' should the bands achieve mainstream success?

Honestly now, do you honestly think that bands such as Cryptopsy, Nile, Cannibal Corpse, or Darkthrone would be able to be played on MTV? What constitutes 'mainstream' to you? Much subject matter in metal is notorious for its violent, outrageous, and nihilistic lyrical content... in order for a video from Cannibal Corpse to be played, they'd have to edit it horribly, or the band would have to hold back in their videos.

The moment I hear an edited version of Cannibal Corpse, Cryptopsy, etc played on the radio or MTV is the moment I lose all interest in the band in question.

On the Inner Circle comparision, I'd say it was flawed... for it wasn't as much image, as a misplaced belief.

They didn't dress up in corpse paint, slag off christians, praise Satan and go home... they did the first three, then went and burnt down a church or murdered someone.

I can see where your coming from, and how people can fire it back as an argument... I just feel its slightly missing the point.

Still, interesting read...

Personally, when I refer to Nu-Metal, I refer to the recent glut of bands whoring themselves to the public media as real Metal (a title I'd deny them personally).

Originally posted by Wanderingblade
They didn't dress up in corpse paint, slag off christians, praise Satan and go home... they did the first three, then went and burnt down a church or murdered someone.

Exactly. Also, the 'image' merely contributed to the music, not became the focal point. You can't possibly tell me that Slipknot's gimmick isn't their most memorable quality.

Furthermore, the Inner Circle acted upon their words and ideals, for better or for worse depending on how you look at it.

haha.....think of a Darkthrone video on MTV:lol: ...don't worry....even though it would never happen...if it did, it would only get run once!:lol:

I cant stands bands like Limp Bizkit,Korn, ETC. But i do like System of a down and Slipknots first album i dont know if they are nu-metal?? :)

:)

Numetal I like... Mudvayne and System of a Down. I listen to other numetal occasionally, but I think that Mudvayne and SOAD are probably the most traditional in the metal sense, by being slightly different and not following a trend completely...

Most other numetal sucks, but you have to admit, it is catchy and fun to listen to. That's why is was made simple... to stick in your head.