So....Is it possible to be innovative in Metal anymore?

I won't deny that certain genres are releasing nice stuff for those interested in them, brutal death included. However, I still hold to the notion that nothing *exciting* is happening in any metal genre, with VERY few exceptions.

It's possible to be innovative, but it's naturally resisted. There's a near-dogmatic practice of hero worship among metallers that prevents them from innovating. Schmidt hit the nail on the head right here:

creating new and fresh ideas already established in the genres.

This is clearly an oxymoron, and it is echoed throughout the base of musicians in the metal community.

I posit that the reason metalheads resist innovation is that they were outcasts in their childhood and found community and a sense of belonging in an underground society full of tropes. This might only be true in my own social nucleus.

Yeah, it's hard to explain. I was trying to say that new genres aren't necessary to make innovative music. It's what you do with a genre that can make things interesting. Genres are a constantly evolving medium as it is.

I mean, it's not 1993 anymore, there still tends to be a handful of very good to great extreme metal albums a year. And I certainly think there are a few absolutely phenomenal bands that are consistently releasing excellent and original material (Agalloch and Deathspell Omega come to mind).

I don't think Marrow Of The Spirit or Paracletus were particularly original...more of the same really. Now, albums like Fas and The Mantle were extraordinarily original, but from 2010 to 2013, I think the only original ideas I can think of that actually work well are those of Beherit's Celebrate The Dead.

I don't think Marrow Of The Spirit or Paracletus were particularly original...more of the same really. Now, albums like Fas and The Mantle were extraordinarily original, but from 2010 to 2013, I think the only original ideas I can think of that actually work well are those of Beherit's Celebrate The Dead.

Really? I hear lots of new sounds and elements on Marrow; and Paracletus certainly employs the same elements as Fas, but the songwriting is very different.

Didn't listen to the new Beherit, but I think their old stuff is terrible. Drawing Down the Moon might be the most overrated extreme metal record of all time.

Nah beherit is fucking overrated. To be fair at least their new stuff is good. Old stuff is just as bad as blasphemy.

Off the top of my head, artists with worthwhile, fresh new ideas since 2010 that I'm aware of include Swans, Burial, The Caretaker, Ulver, and Beherit. I can't think of any others right now that have really pushed any boundaries.

Edit: And none of those ideas are really in the realm of metal.

Nah beherit is fucking overrated. To be fair at least their new stuff is good. Old stuff is just as bad as blasphemy.

Celebrate The Dead and Drawing Down The Moon are not remotely similar @crimsonfloyd

Off the top of my head, artists with worthwhile, fresh new ideas since 2010 that I'm aware of include Swans, Burial, The Caretaker, Ulver, and Beherit. I can't think of any others right now that have really pushed any boundaries.

Edit: And none of those ideas are really in the realm of metal.

OK well if both of you think the change is that significant I'll give it a listen. I'm sure a band's sound can change a lot in 20 years.

And Lateralus, I totally agree with you on Swans and Burial, but I think Ulver has finally waned over the last 3-4 full lengths. What is it that you think is special about their last few releases? Not familiar with Caretaker at all.

I agree Ulver kinda waned over the last few releases but their newest one (2013 release) is a true return to form and their best since Perdition City.

Oh that's good to hear. I was trying to figure out what the concept was but couldn't find much info on it. They've burnt through a lot of the goodwill they had built up over the years with the last few records, but I'll give the new one a listen.

It's basically minimal electronic with the accompaniment of a string orchestra. There are some bombastic Garm moments that get a little cheesy, but, for instance, the first two songs are damn excellent.

Yeah, it's hard to explain. I was trying to say that new genres aren't necessary to make innovative music. It's what you do with a genre that can make things interesting. Genres are a constantly evolving medium as it is.

I get that. I wasn't saying that the lack of innovation or genre proliferation in metal is a bad thing. Its slow-moving tendencies grant bands and artists a much longer career than, say, electronic music, in which hoards of artists come and go with every new trend or genre.

People here don't like Drawing Down the Moon.

923-facepalm.gif