Can anything truly "new" be done with metal?

The Greys said:
So Psyopus doing scales runs is new nor has been done before in music ?

explain please

I'd say their denial of "chug" riffs in almost any form is the most innovative thing to be done in technical heavy music recently. They've got a few passages I can think of that go 20 or 30 seconds without playing below the 10th fret or on the low 2 strings. Metal nowadays is more low and grinding than ever, so to contruct a proper "riff" at the top of the neck is something quite new.

The Grimace said:
I'd say their denial of "chug" riffs in almost any form is the most innovative thing to be done in technical heavy music recently. They've got a few passages I can think of that go 20 or 30 seconds without playing below the 10th fret or on the low 2 strings. Metal nowadays is more low and grinding than ever, so to contruct a proper "riff" at the top of the neck is something quite new.

There is a lot of bands that go 20,30 seconds without using the 2 low strings playing before the 10th fret. Bands have been doing this for along time. It's called a lead or guitar solo.

Pyopus does not contruct proper riffs or songs. It's just scale runs the entire time. Sure they have patterns but it's more like a repeating lead which have already been done years and years ago.

Psyopus is basically like warming up to loosen up. It has no depth,is not a song.

Yes, new things can be done. I think more or less, its just a matter of doing something properly and well done.

Like you could just bend each fret on each string once for a whole song and call it new, which it probably would be. But its complete shit.

Its just a matter of doing something new the right way.

Birkenau said:
Yeah, because they're really new and exciting. :err:

These avant-garde or post-whatever bands aren't doing shit to improve the music scene, and they certainly aren't going anywhere. Rehashing the same old boring shit and adding wankery flutes and samples isn't doing anything new, it's just a gigantic gimmick that only a moron would percieve as innovative.

Did Burzum or Mayhem have to resort to post/avant-garde tags? No. Did Black Sabbath and Slayer have to resort to post/avant-garde tags? No of course not. Instead of redoing an old concept, they came up with a new one, and a new sound as well, unfortunately most current bands are unable to do such, and just hop onto the trend train.

I'm thinking that towards the end of the '00s we'll start to see something new in the metal scene, and probably the rock scene as well, and early '10s there will be a new wave of bands actually doing something new. :Spin:

What you are calling for is completely new genre within metal, correct? Something that has nothing to do with what has already been created elsewhere in the musical landscape? No wonder you can't precieve anything as a "fresh" sounding, because nothing can fit into that category.

Black Metal was a response to DM and therefore by your logic, not entirely new. DM grew out of Thrash and Thrash grew out of Heavy and Speed Metal. Progressive Metal grew out of Progressive Rock and so on. None of these genres are wholfully original in the truest sense so I guess nothing new has ever been done with metal?

Bullshit. Lots of innovation has been done within metal, it just so happens that influences often come from outside the genre to create something orginial within it. Post-Rock has now been given a metal context with bands like Isis, Pelican, Russian Circles, and Red Sparowes. Later Enslaved is similar, bringing in the prog rock influences of the 70's and fusing it with Black Metal to create something new within the context of the genre. But of course none of that is "new" in actuality.

I can see what your saying, but it is blown out of proportion to discount new sludge or progressive/avant-garde BM bands because they aren't early Burzum. Whether you care to admit it or not, Burzum just expanded metal in a different direction and sludge and avant-garde do the same but in a different way.

heh.... you can't defend your post. Some nerds told you they play math music,are innovative,original and you believe it along with morons.

You probably thought you'd look good,smart, know it all in this thread by mentioning some metalcore bands that use the term 'math' and can't contruct notes nor songs. Like you are the first to play scales!!! OMG we play really fast on the high notes as close to the pick ups... oh wait that's a guitar solo. What are guitar solos ?... we're scenter nerds.

LOL

he he

Also what does 'math' have to do with playing an instrument ?. What stupid bands

hibernal_dream said:
Not really. By "riff" i'm referring to a repeating series of notes used to provide a backbone for the song. Its not only a characteristic of metal - every form of modern music from pop to techno uses this. What i'm proposing is something more continuous, an extended form of the riff. The chorus of Emperor's Thus Spake The Nightspirit is a good example - flowing but with very little repetition, its not strictly a riff yet everyone regards it as metal. Extend that to a whole song and the result would be amazing.

I fully support this idea.

The Greys said:
heh.... you can't defend your post. Some nerds told you they play math music,are innovative,original and you believe it along with morons.

You probably thought you'd look good,smart, know it all in this thread by mentioning some metalcore bands that use the term 'math' and can't contruct notes nor songs. Like you are the first to play scales!!! OMG we play really fast on the high notes as close to the pick ups... oh wait that's a guitar solo. What are guitar solos ?... we're scenter nerds.

LOL

he he

Also what does 'math' have to do with playing an instrument ?. What stupid bands

I just got 40% dumber reading that load of bullshit. Shut the fuck up. That has to be in the top 10 fucking ridiculously stupid things said here.

EDIT - You ruined my day. Fuck YOU.

When you look at something that is stupidity, it is usually never beyond your understanding. Thus, this is not. Its just one of the poorest arguments i've ever read, he tears himself to pieces in the one post.

Note the repetitive use of nerd and he himself tells us of his lack of understanding of math based music, just the finer points of his idiocy. Besides he defines Psyopus as a band that think they are innovative because they use scales.

Dodens Grav said:
No you don't.

[SERIOUS POST ALERT]Also, Metal = the riff. You can add all the extraneous influences you want in order to create some type of new amalgamation of musical importance, but it sure as hell won't be Metal. The answer to the question of whether or not something truly new can be done with Metal I strongly believe is no. That is far from saying that the genre cannot evolve into something else, however. Thus far it seems only to be flirting with incorporating ideas with alternative genres instead of estaablishing a truly unique identity, however.[/SERIOUS POST ALERT]
agree completely

Pull The Plug said:
I just got 40% dumber reading that load of bullshit. Shut the fuck up. That has to be in the top 10 fucking ridiculously stupid things said here.

EDIT - You ruined my day. Fuck YOU.

Someone on the entire internet ruined your day ?. A day is pretty long.....

I've got an idea for you.

noose%20(indcjournal.com).jpg

I guess it is.
edit: @ Dodens Grav

But, I seem to be the only one thinking you can play metal without looking metal (long hair stuff). Or I misread.

AsModEe said:
I guess it is.
edit: @ Dodens Grav

But, I seem to be the only one thinking you can play metal without looking metal (long hair stuff). Or I misread.

Of course not. It's not essential, it just adds to the atmosphere.

True. It would be funny (in a pathetic way) to see people looking like Simple Plan playing like Bathory or Amon Amarth. It would somewhat ruin the music.