Is there or has ther been such thing as technical black metal? Can there be?

~Derek~

Sep 9, 2006
Tennessee
Is there or has ther been such thing as technical black metal? Can there be? I was talking to a guy online the other night who is about to record a black metal album, he told me he was going to use odd time signatures in his music, so is there a possibility as something being black metal while having a technical edge to it? The most technical black metal I've seen has to be Emperor-Anthems and Satyricon-Nemesis Divina though it's basically intermediate guitar skill level most of the time. So can there be technical black metal?

Given the utter basicness of standard black metal in terms of song structure and time signatures etc., I'd say a lot of bands could be called technical black metal due to the fact that their music is considerably more technical relative to Transylvanian Hunger for example. Bands like Taake, Borknagar, and Abigor use complex lead riffs amid simpler rhythm guitar riffs in order to convey a more complex sound that despite its relative advance in technicality, is undeniably black metal.

I was wondering this myself actually.

There's plenty of bands who have at least some technicality and a black metal influence but very few that you could comfortably describe as black metal. DSO would probably be the closest. Maybe Ne Obliviscaris.

Ephel Duath definitely have the technical aspect down, but they are less and less black metal these days.

^Kinda the same with Emperor-Prometheus, except it had a progggy avantgarde type feel with black metal mixed in it, and it was definitely technical music on the level of advanced guitar playing.

A band like Crionics certainly blurs that line between black metal riffs and death metal riffs, but due to the similarities their music shares with mid-era Emperor (symphonics included), I happily file them under black metal.

The most technical BM I've heard (very progressive, but nonetheless definitely BM) would be Apotheosis's Farthest from the Sun. I don't know how readily available this album is these days. And even that, I wouldn't call the guitar playing particularly technical.

The most technical BM I've heard (very progressive, but nonetheless definitely BM) would be Apotheosis's Farthest from the Sun. I don't know how readily available this album is these days. And even that, I wouldn't call the guitar playing particularly technical.

I had this album on order for like 2 months and it never came. Finally the distro emailed me saying they sold it to me not knowing it was out of stock. I canceled the order, still waiting for my refund. And it looks like a great album too, from the reviews and samples I've heard of it.

I don't think so and certainly not like a technical death or prog band. I feel that minimalism is a component of black metal. Some bands utilize this more than others, but it is still there.

Listen to Abigor's Channeling the Quintessence of Satan and you won't find a trace of minimalism, but your ears will tell you undeniably that this chaos is black metal.

I had this album on order for like 2 months and it never came. Finally the distro emailed me saying they sold it to me not knowing it was out of stock. I canceled the order, still waiting for my refund. And it looks like a great album too, from the reviews and samples I've heard of it.

Chase it up, it's totally worth it. In my top 5 BM albums. I thought it might be a tough one to get, it's a one man band by some guy from Malta on an obscure label. If you have no luck, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Diabolical Masquerade. Blakkheims(bloodbath,katatonia) black metal project. 'Nightwork' is indeed progressive and I would start there if you want something over the top and different than everything else.

I would consider Satyricon-nemesis divina complex and technical for black metal.

I think Borknagar would fit under such a category, like Zephyrus said, because their music is more complex than the average black metal band. Emperor's Anthems and IX might be considered technical, too.

Anthems and IX are not black metal at all.