Death metal and technicality

For example... ?
Nile... duh
Dying Fetus. I really like this band for some reason. maybe because they were one of the first DM bands I heard.
Spawn of Possession
Necrophagist
Suffocation
Behemoth
Blood Red Throne
Deeds of Flesh is pretty good stuff
Gorgasm, I have some downloaded... not bad.
old Gorguts is good. the last two sucked shit.
Malevolent Creation has some good fast headbanging songs.
the Forsaken kick my ass, but they havent released an album in a few years.
Unleashed has some good songs
Wormed is quite solid
Vader is another solid band

Okay, yes, old school metal is just fine, but I completly agree that tech metal is more interesting. There is plenty of music that is technical but doesn't compromise on what makes Death metal great. The example everyone already posted is the sound of perseverance. I think that human is an even better example. And then there is less emotional but still kickass stuff like cryptopsy. And then there is stuff that completly is not the way that death metal should be, like cynic, but which is wonderful in its own queer way. Meshuggah isn't really technical, except for mabye the drums and guitar solos, so I don't know why whoever mentioned them did. Now, of course, there are plenty of examples of wankery and other overtechnicality stuff that does completly ruin the music, but I don't think its as common. Usually a skilled musician makes good music.

spawn of possession is a really, really boring band. Psycroptic (SP?) isn't really any good either, I used to like martyr but not really so much anymore

good tech/prog death

atheist
later death
early necrophagist
early quo vadis
augury
suffocation
gorguts

and so on

Plain boring death metal has been done and is way too over saturated, melodic bullshit has been done. Now it's time for the insanely technical bands to emerge and shred with originality.

Technicality is goooood!

The problem with technicality is that it when the showing off goes before the sheer sound of the music, it usually sucks. I've had arguments regarding Psycroptic and Necrophagist saying Necrophagist are better simply because their stuff is more advanced. I believe "Psycroptic mostly plays in 4/4" was the biggest argument.

If it weren't for Melodic Death Metal, I would never have found the genre.

Melodic Death is the doorway genre. I think people who bash Melodic Death for sounding 'happy' are being bloody idiots. Cynic, Death, Carcass (the classics) have a happy sound to them.

Just because it's not ultra-brootal deathcore grinding vaginas doesn't mean it's not valid Death Metal.

No, Sweden didn't destroy Death Metal, and neither did Melody and 'happy' sounding riffs.

I just listened to a few songs from Atheist, the musicianship is very good, I just can't get into it, it's ok to me though.

If it weren't for Melodic Death Metal, I would never have found the genre.

Melodic Death is the doorway genre. I think people who bash Melodic Death for sounding 'happy' are being bloody idiots. Cynic, Death, Carcass (the classics) have a happy sound to them.

Just because it's not ultra-brootal deathcore grinding vaginas doesn't mean it's not valid Death Metal.

No, Sweden didn't destroy Death Metal, and neither did Melody and 'happy' sounding riffs.

However, your idea that melo-death/Gothenburg is actual death metal is far off. It's based most firmly in power metal/heavy metal, and that is FACT.

Melodeath is a good doorway genre. Hypocrisy got me into extreme metal. I am just lucky Dark Tranquillity were so boring and cured me of any desire to listen to the genre before I got too far in.

Hypocrisy and DT are the only melodeath bands I still listen to (Amon Amarth on occasion). In Flames wore off and At The Gates never took effect. Everything else I missed before losing interest in the genre.

Tech death metal can be eather really good or horrible
if bands are sweeping apegeios to make it sound more "tech"(Necrophagist,good band nonetheless) then its stupid but if they can play "tech" without sounding boring its fine

I used to like martyr but not really so much anymore

The new Martyr album is the only one I listen to. The singing at least is bearable now. Blotted Science should be releasing a very good tech cd sometime soon. It has Ron Jarzombek of SpasticInk/Watchtower, Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse, and Charlie Zeleny of Behold the Arctopus. It's not death metal of course, as there will be no vocals, but the intensity of their musical excellence will be great, I'm sure.