Opeth's Technicality

I don't think being self-taught makes you less capable of writing complex music...

I don't think he wanted to say that..he meant the same thing you did.

They are techincally very strong, but not the strongest (as the already cited Cynic could be) but, most important thing, they know a lot about theory and this is a great advantage; someone could be the fastest guitar player on the earth but without knowledge 'bout what you want exactly to do it's quite unuseful..

I honestly don't think any of Opeth's music is technical *been playing guitar 14 years; I have a right to this opinion--hopefully fanboys don't get their panties in a bunch* but that doesn't make them less than great.

What the hell are you talking about? And what makes an arpeggio techincal?

Also, chords is the correct term. Not 'accords'.

I assume that he refers to someone playing out of main key (don't really know what it's called in english). For example if a song is written in A major and suddenly the song jumps into a D# minor arpeggio, then it would probably sound pretty disharmonious (though not necessarily, the music could just be modulating).
But I, as I said, don't know what the correct musical terms in english would be, so it might be a little hard to explain.

Also an arpeggio in itself is not technical at all, however a lot of solos (especially sweep-picking) involves a fast progression over arpeggios wich can be technically hard to play.

funeralportrait- i meant that someone is technically not technical if they were to play a d minor arrpeggio over a c minor chord (so basically what the other guy just said) ....and im not saying opeth does that...i think a lot of people... and am not saying anyone hear thinks this because i have no idea about anyone elses opinion here are....that a lot of people consider bands that sweep pick technical because it sounds pretty and can be hard to play....but it doesnt make them technical if theyre playing wrong arrgeggios over their chord changes...sorry to write that in a confusing way and i hope this is clearer...but try not seem so angry eh?

I think Opeth's lack of complexity in a lot of their riffs/drum patterns, etc. turn a lot of metal fans away.

So, in a sense, well...for most metal standards, especially death metal, Opeth's music generally doesn't match the standards of many other bands out there.

But I think that Opeth's general approach and originality to their music is what makes them so great.

they're just right technically!!! great riffs, textures, melodies, and rhythmns....and there is no wankery... just tastey guitar riffs..and Mikaels great voice!!!!!

Yeah, people tend to think that Opeth is not technical but give me one modern metal guitar player who could play the Hours of Wealth solo as smoothly as Mikael.

Its like asking Rusty Cooley to play Confortably Numb.

And I believe not every drummer could replicate lots of Martin Lopez' parts.

By today's standards, they may seem less technical but I think Opeth's greatness is not how technical they play but how they play : with power melody, finesse and dynamics.

Plus the progression of chords and riffs in certain songs is close to some classical composers, the riff developpements at the end of Blackwater Parl is like Wagner going Death Metal before Chuck's Schudinler grand grand mother was not even born.

Stay Emo, Hair Metal Fanboys !

How smoothly you can replicate someone else's musical parts has nothing to do with technical writing. I can play both Comfortably Numb and Hours of Wealth solo quite well, but it would never sound the same. Just like if David Gilmour played a solo that I wrote. It would have his feel and touch to it, but it would still not be the same.

You can argue that the way the play (power, melody, finesse and dynamics) is what makes them great, but those qualities do not make the compositions technical by any means. I can argue the same stuff about Katatonia'a Anders Nystrom, but when you really break it down, he is great at playing very simplistic riffs. They all sound awesome, but I can't find one that I have ever had any trouble learning within a few minutes.

How smoothly you can replicate someone else's musical parts has nothing to do with technical writing. I can play both Comfortably Numb and Hours of Wealth solo quite well, but it would never sound the same. Just like if David Gilmour played a solo that I wrote. It would have his feel and touch to it, but it would still not be the same.

You can argue that the way the play (power, melody, finesse and dynamics) is what makes them great, but those qualities do not make the compositions technical by any means. I can argue the same stuff about Katatonia'a Anders Nystrom, but when you really break it down, he is great at playing very simplistic riffs. They all sound awesome, but I can't find one that I have ever had any trouble learning within a few minutes.

good point, but what does how fast you learn a song have anything to do with technical? i mean, i would guarentee you can learn a song faster than i can, even though i would over time get to the point you did when you learned it in a matter of minutes. So i guess im trying to say, time taken to learn a song has nothing to do with how technical it is.

never thought of opeth as a really technical band. However i do feel the new album ghost reveries is a little bit more technical than thier previos works, which is usuall just straight up metal.

Yeah, people tend to think that Opeth is not technical but give me one modern metal guitar player who could play the Hours of Wealth solo as smoothly as Mikael.

Its like asking Rusty Cooley to play Confortably Numb.

And I believe not every drummer could replicate lots of Martin Lopez' parts.

By today's standards, they may seem less technical but I think Opeth's greatness is not how technical they play but how they play : with power melody, finesse and dynamics.

Plus the progression of chords and riffs in certain songs is close to some classical composers, the riff developpements at the end of Blackwater Parl is like Wagner going Death Metal before Chuck's Schudinler grand grand mother was not even born.

Stay Emo, Hair Metal Fanboys !

Exactly its there feel for the music which makes them so nice to listen to. the technical side of opeth comes from there knowledge to play a riff with there feel to it.