Opeth's Most Impressive Moments (Help!!!)

lol - no just kidding, I tend to be a bit funny sometimes: I tend to play the same song over and over again (record: I once played one song the entire day: even my kids and cat left the house and didnt come back untill I stopped playing that song).

just sit your friends down and make them watch all of lamentations. that way if they like them they can see all the parts of opeth. dont just let them hear the mellow or technical parts.

I would show them some parts of Damnation, like "Windowpane", the beautiful solo, or songs from Ghost Reveries, like "Reverie Harlequin Forest" or "beneath the mire", the 'prog' solo with guitar and keyboards

^+1 on the btm solo. One of the more outstanding Opeth moments, imo. Very cool to see on the DVD, too.

i would say the "what would they care"-section in Godhead's Lament

oh, and play your jazz-friend some Cynic. First Textures, then I'm but a wave to... or Veil of Maya. That will shut him right up about Death Metal bands with grunts not being musical.

Just play windowpane. It's not technical by any means, but it's probably one of the best songs ever written. Thanks to Windowpane my friends with shitty taste in music (One insists 311 is the best band ever, the other is in love with that piece of shit Tool). But after hearing Windowpane I've basically gotten them to not bitch when I play The Leper Affinity or The Moor.

Actually, the best thing to play, which is also probably my favorite part of any Opeth song ever is Godhead's Lament (2:50 - 4:52) (8:15-end) also from A Fair Judgement (3:39 - 4:34) which is a nice riff, (4:34 - 5:10) which is in my opinion the most beautiful part of the song, and (5:10 - 7:33) which is the solos and more amazingness.

Thanks to everyone who replied! Feel free to keep suggesting stuff (makes for a fun conversation topic IMO), I'll get them to listen to this stuff next time we're all free from work!

At first all of my friends hatd Opeth due to the length of the songs. And one person (whom I don't consider a friends per se) said they bri (I don't know how the fuck to spell it) :OMG: But one day I showed one Blackwater Park, and they've been hooked ever since. I myself used to hate Opeth, until my brother was watching Lamentations and the amazingness of De-li-ve-rance played, I was instantly hooked. Ever since then I've been hooked and trying to convert all my frineds. So my advice, play Lamentations for them. It works.:worship:

A Fair Judgment: 6:17- 7:30
Godheads Lament: 0:00-0:26
Face of Melinda: 0:00-7:59 :)
White Cluster: 6:20-7:06
Epilogue: 0:30-3:00
Circle of the Tyrant: 2:36-3:15 LOL
Closure: 1:04-2:20 (Could just play a new live version of the song)
The Leper Affinity Solo (cd is in the car)
Ghost of Perdition: 1:20-1:36(Riff is awesome), 2:33-3:33, 7:56-8:18
Baying of the Hounds: 5:24-6:07, 6:50-8:03
Beneath the Mire: 3:08-4:59
Reverie/Harlequin Forest: 8:25-9:30 (Drums in this section)

That should be a good start I would think.
:headbang:
I'd add to that the solo around the eighth minute of Wreath. Pretty pumping, I'd say.

that piece of shit Tool
I've been trying to get into their 10,000 days record for a month now, no success. I just can't stand this sound.

DELIVERANCE-9:40-the end.

Amazing part. The mellow part before is also pretty nice.

Hear it out you'll see.

And opeth is trully amazing techniclly, and mainly musicaly

FOR ABSENT FRIENDS-Everything. amazing instrumental piece, very impressive

yeah for absent friends!!

The Beneath the Mire solo is one of my favourite moments on the Ghost Reveries disc.. such a great tone, and the way it drives into the following acoustic section is fantastic.

I'd also recommend some material from Orchid, say The Twilight is my Robe or The Apostle in Triumph. 03:35-05:35 of TTimR is, in my opinion, one of Orchids more outstanding beautiful acoustic moments.

Oh, and how could everybody forget, the first 2 or so minutes of Dirge for November are incredible. After the beautiful intro the song goes to shit though. Very repetitive.