Watershed: Opeth's Most Rhythmically Impressive Album?

Quantizing is a process in which an instrument is essentially aligned with a metronome for perfect tempo, or at least thats the easiest way to explain it without using it first hand. In this case, I wouldn't be so sure the drum tracks are heavily quantized, I simply think the triggers give it the sound somewhat, though the softer sections of GR don't have a quantized sound at all. On the subject though, the fact that theres basically no soft drumming on Watershed is my biggest complaint with the disc, although I think the heavier drums are just fine.

As good as Axe is, he doesn't beat Lopez on GR. Maybe the music on GR is just more conducive to groovy-as-fuck drumming. Lopez's double bass playing is more interesting as well.

Highlights: 5:40 - 5:55 in Ghost of perdition (basically a 15 second drum fill). Actually, from 5:40 until 7:00 is amazing. Really shows you his range.

For double bass playing: 2:49 - 3:15, 6:45-6:51 Baying of the hounds So fucking sweet. I find Axe is lacking those quick blasts of 3 or 4 bass kicks. He's obviously capable of doing them, but he didn't do it on Watershed.

Lopez for the win! However, Axe's drumming does fit really well with the new style of Watershed.

I would like to listen to opeth rehearsing with the mars volta's drummer... :)

I don't think that would sound too good at all, if you're referring to the new Mars Votla drummer. He's a very 'busy' player, and while this fits The Mars Volta's hectic sound, I'm not sure it would fit with Opeth's.

Question: Is Watershed Opeth's Most Rhythmically Impressive Album?
Answer: Yes.

The more rhythmic guitar passages are some of the best Åkerfeldt and friends have written.

I don't understand all the comparisons to past work. Listen to music for what it is, period. Why compair current drums with past drums, bass with past bass, etc? If you like it, great! If you don't, oh well, you still have the past albums that you love.

As far as drums go I would still rate Ghost Reveries as rhythmically superior, but Watershed really has more complex AND tasteful guitar/bass licks (rhythmically).

You guys must be hearing a different record. It's got the greatest sense of melodic dynamics considering the orchestrated elements, and vox range, but it's on the other spectrum of a groove based record for the most part. You really should take a listen to Ghost Reveries again. That cd is all over the place in the rhythm department.

The bass is traditionally a rhythm instrument. When a band has sectionals, the bassist and the drummer will often pair up because they, more than anyone else, maintain the tempo or rhythm. Maybe we have different definitions, but as a bassist I definitely consider it a rhythm instrument.

What about other bass instruments? Things like double bass, bass oboe, bass clarinet? These are percussion?
I dispute that the bass guitar is there to keep the rhythm, it can do other things. But I suppose drums can too. I'm not sure how the definitions work either, but i would make a primary distinction between instruments that are capable of playing melody and those that aren't

I always think of the bass as part of the rhythm section, though not a percussion or rhythm instrument per se. Usually the bass and drums keep the rhythm going, playing more in the pocket, though that's not to say bass players and bass lines can't stray from that standard from time to time.

What about other bass instruments? Things like double bass, bass oboe, bass clarinet? These are percussion?
I dispute that the bass guitar is there to keep the rhythm, it can do other things. But I suppose drums can too. I'm not sure how the definitions work either, but i would make a primary distinction between instruments that are capable of playing melody and those that aren't

Besides double bass those are not percussion. In no way is Rhythm synonyms with just percussion instruments.

I always think of the bass as part of the rhythm section, though not a percussion or rhythm instrument per se. Usually the bass and drums keep the rhythm going, playing more in the pocket, though that's not to say bass players and bass lines can't stray from that standard from time to time.

They most certainly are considered rhythm instruments.

Well you've gotta remember that a rhythm instrument ≠ percussion instrument. And yeah, double bass, bass clarinet and the rest traditionally do not carry the melody, putting them at a more rhythmical part of the music. I know this, I've been a band nerd for... too long!

They most certainly are considered rhythm instruments.

They may be considered rhythm instruments, but strictly speaking they can create melody and thus should not be confined to that one category. A rhythm instument is a musical instrument that keeps the beat, which the bass can not always be said to do, though it generally helps to reinforce the beat.