Watershed: Opeth's Most Rhythmically Impressive Album?

Heir Apparent

Feb 19, 2008
Alright, so I listened to the entire album again for the 10th time and I think that this is their most rhythmically impressive CD. Being a bassist myself, Martin's bass work is absolutely ridiculous. Songs like Hessian Peel and TLE are insane. The bass work on Coil and Burden is beautiful as well.

Axe's drumming is really outstanding, I was unsure how he would fit in the band at first. The drumming on TLE and Heir Apparent is awesome. I think that although Martin Lopez was an incredible drummer and I admire his work endlessly, Axe is more entertaining to listen to.

What do you guy's think?

I agree with it being very impressive for Martin. During the Rehearsal Tapes, he's really burning up the fretboard. Not to mention I think he went from a four string to a five string.

I disagree about it being there most rhythmically impressive though. That award goes to Still Life. Still Life has very complex rhythms.

Oh yeah, and Axe is incredible.

Although Axenrot is a more capable drummer, I'd still rather listen to Lopez. That said, Watershed is my favourite Opeth album. I just have a soft spot for Lopez,is all.

Alright, so I listened to the entire album again for the 10th time and I think that this is their most rhythmically impressive CD. Being a bassist myself, Martin's bass work is absolutely ridiculous. Songs like Hessian Peel and TLE are insane. The bass work on Coil and Burden is beautiful as well.

Axe's drumming is really outstanding, I was unsure how he would fit in the band at first. The drumming on TLE and Heir Apparent is awesome. I think that although Martin Lopez was an incredible drummer and I admire his work endlessly, Axe is more entertaining to listen to.

What do you guy's think?

nothing to say about the bass lines, but in my opinion axe is a little too "scholastic" and stiff, if you know what i mean. lopez's drumming sound more "relaxed" and natural, and consequently more dynamic.

I thought that was the general idea behind the sound and feel of the record - to make it disturbing, tense and twisted.

Not sure that the relaxed groove of Lopez would be appropriate for the intended direction of Watershed.

nothing to say about the bass lines, but in my opinion axe is a little too "scholastic" and stiff, if you know what i mean. lopez's drumming sound more "relaxed" and natural, and consequently more dynamic.

yeah, Lopez was more relaxed and his dynamics were better.

But Axe still has a lot to learn, he's pretty damn good for his first Opeth album which is quite a job for a drummer. He's not stiff though.

I thought on The Roundhouse Tapes he was stiff. But after hearing Watershed and seeing him live, which was an outstanding performance by Axe's part I guess he's really been working hard.

I thought that was the general idea behind the sound and feel of the record - to make it disturbing, tense and twisted.

Not sure that the relaxed groove of Lopez would be appropriate for the intended direction of Watershed.

well, lopez was very versatile... i think he could have done an interesting work too.

btw i would like to listen to opeth rehearsing with the mars volta's drummer... :)

I don't know anything about bass or drums, except that they sound fucking good on this album.
But Opeth has always been good at creating movement. Remember the beginning of Bleak, that way to pull us into the music.
Well I find the same rythmic almost-perfection in Hex Omega for example. It accelerates, then slows down, then goes on again, and so on. I feel like I'm brought away by some gigantic wave.

Actually Ghost Reveries is by far the most rhythmically crazy Opeth record. The times, and time changes are way crazier on that cd.

I am not that impressed with Axe. Hes a fantastic drummer, sure but I feel his work on watershed (especially TLE) is way to flashy. Alot of the fills I fell dont fit in well or dont flow nicely with the music. Almost to the point that its obnoxious to listen to, it kills The Lotus Eater for me. I really dont care much for that song. On other songs its not to bad, and some its quiet fitting but not TLE.

you cant really compare lopez on GR to axe on Watershed. on GR, the drumming is ridiculously quantized, while on watershed, its not. given this fact, i think axe's performance is better