Watershed: Opeth's Most Rhythmically Impressive Album?

Anyhow back to topic. The only real heavy groove on Watershed is that Circus part on The Lotus Eater. However on Ghost Rev they're all over the place.

They may be considered rhythm instruments, but strictly speaking they can create melody and thus should not be confined to that one category. A rhythm instument is a musical instrument that keeps the beat, which the bass can not always be said to do, though it generally helps to reinforce the beat.

They mainly keep the pulse, and thats what they SHOULD be doing for the songs sake.

I really like the groove in Hex Omega on the first two distorted riffs. They kind of float and hang in the air for a second and then drop back. Maybe groove isn't the right word but they have a distinct rhythmic feel that I really dig.

They mainly keep the pulse, and thats what they SHOULD be doing for the songs sake.

There are always exceptions to the rule, as in Coil. To me, the steady guitar part keeps the pulse while the bass is adding harmonic flavor. On the other hand, there's a part like the first clean breakdown in the Baying of the Hounds where the bass is really keeping a hard and fast pulse. Mixing it up is good and one of the things we can always expect from Opeth.

Anyhow back to topic. The only real heavy groove on Watershed is that Circus part on The Lotus Eater. However on Ghost Rev they're all over the place.

I disagree. While I do think the "circus part" is the best groove on the album, what about the one toward the end of Hessian Peel, or the ending of Heir Apparent?

There are always exceptions to the rule, as in Coil. To me, the steady guitar part keeps the pulse while the bass is adding harmonic flavor.

Very true. The guitar and the bass work together to provide melody and rhythm. I consider bass to be a versatile instrument because of this. Listen to To Bid You Farewell, for example. The bass is clearly providing rhythm and melody.

I disagree. While I do think the "circus part" is the best groove on the album, what about the one toward the end of Hessian Peel, or the ending of Heir Apparent?

Very true. The guitar and the bass work together to provide melody and rhythm. I consider bass to be a versatile instrument because of this. Listen to To Bid You Farewell, for example. The bass is clearly providing rhythm and melody.

Excellent example.

There are always exceptions to the rule, as in Coil. To me, the steady guitar part keeps the pulse while the bass is adding harmonic flavor. On the other hand, there's a part like the first clean breakdown in the Baying of the Hounds where the bass is really keeping a hard and fast pulse. Mixing it up is good and one of the things we can always expect from Opeth.

Obviously. All I'm saying is this is music, and certain things tend to work, and other things don't. A good player knows his place, and that's where subtleties come into play, but they should always have a main focus. For example a single guitarist band with a singer the guitarist should be expected to mainly focus on rhythm. Of course there is usually some breathing space, and room to work in your subtleties, but you need to know when it's time, and just as importantly when it's not time.

Blasphemy! you know not what you say.

You don't think so? I just mean it in the same way that Neil Pearts a more capable drummer than, er, Zak Hanson! It's just fact. I mean, there could be a drummer out there who could play absolutely anything, but that counts for shit unless he can craft something decent with his talent. I call it Dream Theater syndrome :lol:

Axenrot is clearly faster, better at rolls, better with his feat, great on the snare and very good at writing drum parts. Mike himself said he was a genius. But I'd still rather listen to Lopez. Not as good (not by much, mind) but better (in my opinion) at writing drum parts.

They're both great, and at their level it becomes quite hard to compare the two especially since they play for the record you can't really judge their full capabilities. On record they're definitely both just as good imo. Mike made a wise choice when he chose Axe for the job.

You guys must be hearing a different record. It's got the greatest sense of melodic dynamics considering the orchestrated elements, and vox range, but it's on the other spectrum of a groove based record for the most part. You really should take a listen to Ghost Reveries again. That cd is all over the place in the rhythm department.

:Smug: Thank you, BlueSky...Watershed melodies are very lush, and when they play acoustic and electric simultaneously, it adds a different kind of dynamic texture...Rhythmically, watershed is lacking a little bit. Lopez has grown on me much like a fungus, and I have decided why. Lopez has that loose feel, almost like he's playing drunk. Ax attempted to emulate, but that sort of groove is just part of his ancestry.

I'd say Ghost Reveries is more impressive for me in the drum department.
But shit, no one should expect Axe to blow everything Lopez has done out of the water in just one album.

I'd love to hear what he does on the next one though.

Sorta related...

I thought Porcelain Heart was the weakest song on Watershed, and sometimes I'd even skip it, mainly because it didn't stray much from that first riff. It didn't seem to ever develop into anything. However, when I ignored the guitars and started focusing on the drums, the song took a whole new shape for me and seemed interesting again.

Sorta related...

I thought Porcelain Heart was the weakest song on Watershed, and sometimes I'd even skip it, mainly because it didn't stray much from that first riff. It didn't seem to ever develop into anything. However, when I ignored the guitars and started focusing on the drums, the song took a whole new shape for me and seemed interesting again.

would you do axe?

That one drumpart in PH, where Axe attempts to hit everything in his kit 20 times in the space of ten seconds REALLY gives me the shits. Other than that, I can't say I have any complaints on the Watershed rhythms.

Rhythmically, I still prefer GR, though.

Axe's performance exceeded expectations for me but still obviously didn't live up to Lopez. Lopez was moulded into the sound of Opeth and you see the results of him feeling so comfortable on GR. He had the rare talent of making a heavy, double bass riddled section of a track seem like he was only going half arse. His relaxation showed in his sound and it's something Axe will need to work hard on if he's to overhaul Lopez's feats in a lot of fans minds (too many people expect a Lopez double). However, I found Watershed (what's the deal with the intials by the way? WS? W?) was an album where tight, stiff drumming was appropriate. Perhaps Axe fits the evolving sound of Opeth better than Lopez would have, but that's a massive call, and I won't back it up.