Most unique moments in music...

Till Fjalls

¥¤ÆZµ
May 21, 2001
* Toronto *
fade.to
...To you? What songs have moments that sound totally unlike any other song, and sound unbelievable at the same time to you?

This has to involve both an amazing songwriting technique, and something that you can honestly say that you cannot compare to anything else....

The fun in this is that we get to tell about an aqmazing part in a song that we love.....And we also get to prove other peopel wrong, if we know of a moment in a song that sounds like the one they list, thereby giving them an opportunity to chack it out and perhaps find a song they'll love!!! Two pigeons with one pizza slice!!!

Mine:

Edge of Sanity-Crimson: The section in which Dan sings the lines where the dead King is speaking to his people that are left. It's got tonnes of reverb and delay, and there are no instruments, only the voice. The voice is double or tripletracked, and echoes itself with the delay, creating a weird counterpoint section. It is the most spine chilling, emotional section of a song I think I've ever heard. And then it kicks right in with the crazy hunting scene... Bliss!!!

I'm not sure what time it is, but is definitely late in the song, after the 30 minute mark. For those who don't recognize it, check it out!

Let's hear yours! (and if anything compares to mine, you sure as hell better let me know!)

Yeah, I know the part you're talking about, it's cool.

One of mine: My Dying Bride (gee really? Who would have guessed :D ): 'A Sea To Suffer In'. Just after the instrumental part, 1/2 way through, when Aaron comes in with the "Wounded by your cruelty....." part. The violin kicks in with this slide thing, moving his finger up the string while he bows it- it's utterly haunting, gives me chills every time.

The spanish guitar-solo section from 'deconstruction' by nevermore.

The "What would they care if i did stay, no-onw would know" section from 'godhead's lament.

Also, when the acoustic section begins at the start of 'Moonlapse vertigo". The vocals on that track are amazing...

"Remember these words and be strong..."

That's definately one. Another is from Pink Floyd's The Wall:

"Did did did you see the frightened ones...
Did did did did you hear the falling bombs...
Did did did did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter while the promise of a brave new world unfolds benieth the clear blue sky...."

the darkness of the keys over the "oooh oooohs" and soft guitar, and the vocals of the passage above give that definate impression of what it must have felt like to see a beautiful sunny day ruined by the unrelenting terror of the Fuhrer's Luftwaffe.

Past that, there are HUNDREDS of moments like these in Frank Zappa's extensive catalogue. The one that comes to mind is this moment in a song called "The Little House I Used to Live In", when the piano solo ends and the brass section comes into the song on this one, glorious, spine-chilling sustained note. The entire song "Peaches En Regalia" is one big 3 minute amazing musical moment... I could go on...

"Just one Second, and she was out of my life"
You all know...

"Its a choise between heaven and Hell"
DT, Punish

"So in the dark walking
To leave the last of times"
DT, Nether Novs

When April Ethereal takes off in the start....
The guitars, the growling, the drums....
Oooooooh! It's heartbraking!
My whole body shivers!
It's like this with all the Opeth songs, when they sort
of "take off" you know..... And; the part in "April Ethereal"
at 3:40 the song takes off in mellower direction...
It's not calm, but....
The guitars prepare you for it at 3:36, then at 3:39 you
get the drums...and then Mikael's clean vocals comes in
in a blury way... I love it!

The way the guitar sounds at 3:14 in "The Leper Affinity".
This is the part where I dance around in my licingroom
when home alone! >:eek:)

"Bleak".....The way the structure of the lyrics are...
Like; "Beating
Heart still beating for the cause
Feeding
Souol still feeding from the loss"
You have the pauses after those "leading" words... I'm sure
you all know what I mean... It get's to me in the best way! :eek:)))

Then there all the mellow parts in Opeth's songs....
They let your body relax, but still it's all so intense....
It sounds beautiful and leaves you hanging until the song
builds up again... Melancholic, quiet but very intense!! :eek:)

"Watching The Skies" by Evergrey;
"In my dreams i travel
Lost confused
Still searching
Watching the skies
All my sleep is wasted
Awake or not
Still waiting
Watching the skies"
This song has two different choruses, I love them both,
the highpoint is when "Watching the skies" is being sung >:eek:P

Hum...i'll stop here, to prevent myself from going on forever....

Blackspirit:

I totally agree with you about April-- in fact I have in other threads described it as a "rocket" taking off (the part after the "fall from grace" ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh in the beginning). I listen to this song all the time while driving -- maybe I shouldn't as I tend to drive faster as result!

And Bleak: that song is a classic- wonderful symmetry to their stanzas and the music- nothing like it in the veins.

Crimson is great - that song if chock full of moments.

Generally I happen to like (old) Metallica stuff. Many cool moments in their songs.

Yesterday I wanted to mention this part and well...it fits with this thread.

Katatonia - Brave @ 3:31 :cool: