Opeth's Most Impressive Moments (Help!!!)

I have the same problem with a friend of mine, he can't stand the death vocals.
Tell your friends that Opeth don't play technique, they play music! And they play it in a very original and great way! besides that they really know how to use their instruments thats for sure!
Put on some instrumental parts by them, but don't tell them its Opeth, make a band out of your mind, so they don't get prejudiced. And when you hear them say "thats nice" tell them.. "This is F*ing Opeth" :D

i hope you tell us what you played and how it went...

Alright, here's the long and short of it: when me and my friends are discussing our favorite bands, Opeth tends to get laughed out of those house; I love them, everybody else won't even give them a chance. Apparently, because they play Death Metal, my buddies have decided that they must not be a technically skilled band. So I'd like to prove otherwise.

My friends have differing tastes- one digs jazz, another is big into the hyperactive craziness of Dragonforce, and yet another is a fan of RATM, but the one thing they can all respect is technical skill with an insturment (see: Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Dream Theater).

So here's where you come in. If I can get these guys to listen to a few short clips of Opeth in an attempt to prove their skill level... what clips should I play? In essence, what song segments do you think give the best representation of Opeth as the masterful musicians that they are? I'm hoping for stuff in the 30 seconds-a minute range, but longer/shorter is OK, too.

Keep a few things in mind:

-Death vocals, no matter how stunning, aren't going to do it for these guys; in fact, they might make them stop listening to the music altogether.

-I'm not trying to convert my buddies- like I said, they don't like death vox, so they'll probably never be huge fans of the band. I just want to impress them so they'll stop dissing Opeth and give them the respect they deserve.

-The key word is SKILL- insturmental, technical skill.

Alright! Give it some thought, then hit me with some track names and times! We're looking for stuff to make people go :OMG:

I quit trying to convert people to any kind of music.

I find it not worth the time or effort, since they hardly get excited about the music like I do.

my god!
no one mentioned Serenity Painted Death's solo? personally everytime i hear it, it blows my mind apart!
or Closure, the whole song. and Benighted, but i stop here coz i'm getting softer and softer.. :D

Oh, and how could everybody forget, the first 2 or so minutes of Dirge for November are incredible. After the beautiful intro the song goes to shit though. Very repetitive.

i disagree. after the intro the song gets really brilliant. the middle part with its repetitions and epicness is pure monumental genius and, imo, clearly the best part of the whole BWP album

Play something from Ghost Reveries, and make sure they are in front of the lyrics when they listen. That is what got me into Opeth...
Also, if you have the special edition of GR, play the DVD for them. Hearing the music is awesome; seeing it being made is even better for soaking in the technical skills of these guys.
If they won't do these things to give Opeth a chance, fuck 'em.

lol, Opeth isn't meant to be listened to for it's impressive instrumental technicallity; more so for Mike's unique style of songwriting, his impressive manipulation of atmosphere, and his incredible ear for constructing beautiful melodies. If your friends are impressed by technical skill, show them stuff like necrophagist or meshuggah. If your friends listen to dragonforce, they probably won't "get" Opeth.

i disagree. after the intro the song gets really brilliant. the middle part with its repetitions and epicness is pure monumental genius and, imo, clearly the best part of the whole BWP album

Hah man, everytime I see your posts, you're arguing with someone about Dirge for November