Opeth's Most Impressive Moments (Help!!!)

S<issors

wins.
Jan 16, 2007
Alright, here's the long and short of it: when me and my friends are discussing our favorite bands, Opeth tends to get laughed out of those house; I love them, everybody else won't even give them a chance. Apparently, because they play Death Metal, my buddies have decided that they must not be a technically skilled band. So I'd like to prove otherwise.

My friends have differing tastes- one digs jazz, another is big into the hyperactive craziness of Dragonforce, and yet another is a fan of RATM, but the one thing they can all respect is technical skill with an insturment (see: Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Dream Theater).

So here's where you come in. If I can get these guys to listen to a few short clips of Opeth in an attempt to prove their skill level... what clips should I play? In essence, what song segments do you think give the best representation of Opeth as the masterful musicians that they are? I'm hoping for stuff in the 30 seconds-a minute range, but longer/shorter is OK, too.

Keep a few things in mind:

-Death vocals, no matter how stunning, aren't going to do it for these guys; in fact, they might make them stop listening to the music altogether.

-I'm not trying to convert my buddies- like I said, they don't like death vox, so they'll probably never be huge fans of the band. I just want to impress them so they'll stop dissing Opeth and give them the respect they deserve.

-The key word is SKILL- insturmental, technical skill.

Alright! Give it some thought, then hit me with some track names and times! We're looking for stuff to make people go :OMG:

I would show them some parts of Damnation, like "Windowpane", the beautiful solo, or songs from Ghost Reveries, like "Reverie Harlequin Forest" or "beneath the mire", the 'prog' solo with guitar and keyboards

A Fair Judgment: 6:17- 7:30
Godheads Lament: 0:00-0:26
Face of Melinda: 0:00-7:59 :)
White Cluster: 6:20-7:06
Epilogue: 0:30-3:00
Circle of the Tyrant: 2:36-3:15 LOL
Closure: 1:04-2:20 (Could just play a new live version of the song)
The Leper Affinity Solo (cd is in the car)
Ghost of Perdition: 1:20-1:36(Riff is awesome), 2:33-3:33, 7:56-8:18
Baying of the Hounds: 5:24-6:07, 6:50-8:03
Beneath the Mire: 3:08-4:59
Reverie/Harlequin Forest: 8:25-9:30 (Drums in this section)

That should be a good start I would think.

That's a shame they're being kinda close-minded. A major thing about Opeth's technicality that's impressive is their dynamics. The ability to go from those kick ass acoustic passages to death metal the next second. Plus they have some pretty cool song structures especially on some songs on Ghost Reveries. Opeth really isn't really that technical compared to lots of metal but they don't need to rely on it anyway, the end result is just a pure kick ass sound. Anyways, show them that awesome first solo in Windowpane about a minute into the song, the dual keyboard/guitar solo in Beneath Mire and the beginning of Master's Apprentice's...

the leper affinity, the drapery falls, when, face of melinda, epilogue for guitars, to bid you farewell and windowpane for bass, deliverance for drums(especially last instrumental part). just for example.. but if i were you, i'd give them all the discography and make them realize by themselves:)

Opeth really isn't really that technical compared to lots of metal

Actually, Opeth is very technical compared to most metal.

I'd say the acoustic section from The Moor is a brilliant piece of technical music, the way the two acoustics intertwine with each other is brilliant, but almost any Opeth song is a fantastic piece technically. Anyway, at least you can say to your friends that they're far more technical than RATM, and besides solos, they're more technical than Dragonforce. I'd don't know what kind of Jazz your other friend listens to, but in some areas Opeth is more technical than some Jazz.

your friends have shit taste, why are they your friends?

:lol:

Well, I would say u should try to make u're friends listen to:

The Drapery Falls (Live Version- Lamentations DVD: 8:10-8:49);
Deliverance (2:55-3:34 or 5:23-6:20);
By The Pain I See In Others (2:36-3:32);
Master's Apprentices (7:26-8:50);
Advent (Intro);
When (7:36-Til the end);
Ghost Of Perdition (4:20-6:59)- Too long maybe? :p

And much more...

DELIVERANCE-9:40-the end.

Amazing part. The mellow part before is also pretty nice.

Hear it out you'll see.

And opeth is trully amazing techniclly, and mainly musicaly

FOR ABSENT FRIENDS-Everything. amazing instrumental piece, very impressive

Personally I'd go for Face of Melinda.. preferably the whole song. I think Still Life is the bands most technically intricate album, and FoM shows the bands acoustic and heavier guitar skills in good balance, with the added bonus (in this case) of remaining totally death-vocal free.

And after that, turn them onto Closure, and then wait for them to tell you that the middle instrumental acoustic section is far from technical..