Death metal and technicality

I disagree- death metal is all about heaviness and technicality- I dont see why a different approach to the vocals couldnt work. Chuck sang in a sort of a high pitch rasp, and no one is complaining about that.

Vocals, are just so stagnant in death metal- I just think some band needs to try sometihng different.

NAD said:
Oh yeah, there's some reviews for each at Royal Carnage, click my signature if you're curious. :)

Thanks for both the suggestions and the link :) I'll check those bands out.

VEHEMENCE said:
Thanks henrikmain from Norway, yes I check all threads with our band name in them to keep tabs of interest. I have heard the new Decapitated, their bass player and I shared some of our new material over yahoo. Both will be equally insane in different perspectives.

Keep up the good work with Vehemence! Your band is a very talented and interesting one. I'm looking forward to Decapitated's and Vehemence's new albums a lot. Hopefully they'll be insane in a very good way ;)

Whilst I enjoy technical death metal bands (Martyr, Theory in Practice, Cynic), I like it to have some feeling or flow. Not so keen on the stop.start.stop.start stuff.

Int said:
Whilst I enjoy technical death metal bands (Martyr, Theory in Practice, Cynic), I like it to have some feeling or flow. Not so keen on the stop.start.stop.start stuff.

Yeah that's The Sound of Persevarance. It's disjointed and jerky sounding, whereas Leprosy was almost like AC/DC meets death metal - straight ahead verse chorus solo.
Leprosy is a classic, I fuckin love it, although I can understand Chuck wanting to move on and expand as a musician.

I like technicality. I find that it is sometimes unfortunately the case that the groove or crushing feeling is lost when things get too technical, especially in terms of unconventional rhyths. I find that this is not a problem with bands such as Decapitated and Cryptopsy as much as it is with bands like Gorguts and Immolation. I still love Gorguts and Immolation, but my favorite kind of metal is both technical and crushing, like Nile, Suffocation, or Dying Fetus - those bands can get really technical without compromising their crushing groove.

Prog/tech death is probably my favorite genre of death metal along with traditional death metal

I like it alot because the genre has almost no restrictions on it whatsoever. Quo vadis in their first album uses violin, augury uses female operatic vocals and has influences from so many different metal genres, while bands like martyr and atheist play jazzdeath metal. There is also a tremendous amount of variety in the genre as there are bands that are very melodic ranging to bands like suffocation that are absolutely crushing.

obviously, it's not for everybody and many bands in the genre aren't really any good, but for me it is wonderful

Because some total n00b posted in it trying to make a point, and instead just namedropped some decent bands (Buried Dreams are kind of a tired sounding "EPIC MELO-DEATH!11" thing).

Also, holy shit bigdave made a good (really good!) post. THANK YOU.

i agree with henrik, but i guess that there are others new bands, and others old bands that came back and didn't forget their structure...

PUNGENT STENCH, OBITUARY, UNLEASHED, and others have come back and i hope new bandswith the same idea...

but i like PSYCROPTIC, NECROPHAGIST and others, and i don't know what we can expect

I enjoy lots of technical death metal (Gorod, Pavor, etc.) and think that the whole "reigned-in, yet still ludicrously talented, tech death" style will go places.

bands are just exploring different avenues, earlier DM was more thrashy, then more simple, then straight forward and now it's really technical. Eventually some bands will mix everything together and become references in the genre.

I don't like uber-technical death metal.

give me Autopsy or early Death or Obituary over that shit anyday. but not Six Feet Under. Six Feet Under suck six feet of dick.

I don't really think death metal as a whole is too stagnant because of the variety of different DM styles abound, but each scene is starting to get a bit stale because of the lack of innovation. There are still plenty of decent bands, but most of them are hard to find. Same goes for black metal.