history of death metal

livingtodie

Mar 24, 2004
I've decided to make a "history of death metal" mix cd for my friend and thought about including all the bands that stand out as a cornerstone for the genre. And I thought about including these bands:

Sepultura, Possessed (for pioneering death metal)
Morbid Angel, Death (for solidifying the genre)
Dissection (for pioneering the gothenburg sound)
at the gates (for expanding the gothenburg sound)
Carcass, Entombed (for expanding the melodic death metal sound)
Demilich, Cryptopsy (for pioneering the technical death metal sound)
Atheist, Cynic (for pioneering the jazz death metal sound)

But I know there has to be more, such as bands that pioneered the symphonic death metal sound, and further expanded the genre of death metal itself.
So it would be awesome if you guys could help me out by naming some of the
bands that i may have missed that spawned a subgenre in death metal, or even just further expanded it. thanks!

Demilich is probably unnecessary. Death (Human-era), Atheist, and Cynic are good examples of technical DM bands.

You should include someone who represents the modern tech death sound i.e. Necrophagist, Arsis, Origin.

??????????????????????//

Sepultura before Death as Death metal pioneers..........?
Have i missed somthing in my research

Leiland said:
??????????????????????//

Sepultura before Death as Death metal pioneers..........?
Have i missed somthing in my research
yes you have missed anus.com

death only copied previous bands and did nothing whatsoever for the genre and chuck was a fucking christian with judeo-christian ideals that have nothing to do in Hessian culture and you should be glad hes dead sheesh :rolleyes:

At The Gates,Cynic are not death metal. I can't say Entombed ever played melodic death metal also. Oh well

No need to argue on this because opinions are usually like assholes.

You forgot Autopsy who brought various things into the equation - hugely important. Rigor Mortis and Master were important "first wave" bands in need of recognition, and shit like Slayer and Kreator was certainly important for the genre if not death metal itself. At the Gates were important not for expanding on the Gothenburg sound but for their earlier progressive take on the Swedish sound. Carnage were the pioneers of the typical ol-skool Swedish sound, and Darkthrone's doomy debut was pretty influential too. Massacra were the first band to make really frantic, chaotic narrative death metal, and are considered in the underground to be very important. Demilich need mentioning but not as tech-death necessarily, they aren't what's typically known as tech-death. Gorguts, similarly, wrote something very unique and of course very technical in Obscura which needs recognition, as well as writing some of the best brutal-death stuff going. Therion's early stuff was a uniquely fantastical, epic spin on the genre, whilst Immolation are beyond all considerable doubt THE "brutal death" band. Necrophobic were the first to really make use of the Norwegian BM sound in death metal. The Chasm continue to make death metal extremely complex and effective in structure and will go down as classic. Demigod, Fleshcrawl, Atrocity, Unleashed, Incantation... ahh the list goes on.

Gothenburg is about as death metal as Tina Turner. Leave out Dissection. Get rid of Cryptopsy NOW, that messy shit has no place in this crowd. Death didn't do too much new but at least they don't utterly suck ass, and Entombed were a bit too rockish but I won't moan too much at their inclusion.

Sepultura, Possessed, Morbid Angel, Massacra, Suffocation, Immolation, Therion, Demilich, and Gorguts. In that order.

Make sure to add Wormed somewhere in there ... not that they are important for anything it's just...they are so kick ass they need a mention.

The Tragedy Of Man said:
You forgot Autopsy who brought various things into the equation - hugely important. Rigor Mortis and Master were important "first wave" bands in need of recognition, and shit like Slayer and Kreator was certainly important for the genre if not death metal itself. At the Gates were important not for expanding on the Gothenburg sound but for their earlier progressive take on the Swedish sound. Carnage were the pioneers of the typical ol-skool Swedish sound, and Darkthrone's doomy debut was pretty influential too. Massacra were the first band to make really frantic, chaotic narrative death metal, and are considered in the underground to be very important. Demilich need mentioning but not as tech-death necessarily, they aren't what's typically known as tech-death. Gorguts, similarly, wrote something very unique and of course very technical in Obscura which needs recognition, as well as writing some of the best brutal-death stuff going. Therion's early stuff was a uniquely fantastical, epic spin on the genre, whilst Immolation are beyond all considerable doubt THE "brutal death" band. Necrophobic were the first to really make use of the Norwegian BM sound in death metal. The Chasm continue to make death metal extremely complex and effective in structure and will go down as classic. Demigod, Fleshcrawl, Atrocity, Unleashed, Incantation... ahh the list goes on.

Gothenburg is about as death metal as Tina Turner. Leave out Dissection. Get rid of Cryptopsy NOW, that messy shit has no place in this crowd. Death didn't do too much new but at least they don't utterly suck ass, and Entombed were a bit too rockish but I won't moan too much at their inclusion.
tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr PARAGRAPHS MOTHERFUCKER CAN YOU USE THEM tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr

The Greys said:
No need to argue on this because opinions are usually like assholes.

whereas yours is more like what comes out of the arsehole. and for the record, that saying is "opinions are like arseholes ..." there is no "usually":Smug:

Erik said:
yes you have missed anus.com

death only copied previous bands and did nothing whatsoever for the genre and chuck was a fucking christian with judeo-christian ideals that have nothing to do in Hessian culture and you should be glad hes dead sheesh :rolleyes:

until their album of 1987, "Raining Blood." - (taken from anus.com)

For a website that refers to one of metals most influential albums of all time and fucks up the date and name, I am really convinced that there opinion (which you have taken as your own) about Death is absolutely correct.

They refer to Possessed (formed 83) Sepultura (formed 84) and Massacra (formed 86)
As pioneers of death metal and give no gratitude to Death because there’s no way they played a part in any of it. They were only around since 84 (and Mantas 83) which means nothing at all. (INSERT FUCKING SARCASM HERE)

The debate about Chuck Schuldiner and Death has already been done before in the Sound of Perseverance thread, so I do not need to continue it here because it is a matter of opinion wether you like the band or not.

But to not include Death in the pioneering of Death Metal is ignorant to say the least.