Bloodbath: Nightmares Made Flesh
Krisiun: AssassiNation
Death: Individual Thought Patterns
Yyrkoon: Unhealthy Opera
Nile: In Their Darkened Shrines
Behemoth: Zos Kia Cultus
Vital Remains: Dechritianize
Immolation: Close to a World Below

There's a shameful amount of death metal that I should know but don't, but...

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Atrocity - Todessehnsucht
Carcass - Necroticism
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Dark Millennium - Ashore the Celestial Burden
Death - Leprosy
Dismember - Massive Killing Capacity
Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
Ripping Corpse - Dreaming With the Dead

in no order:

Mithras: Behind the Shadows Lie Madness
Stargazer: Great Work of Ages
Bloodbath: Nightmares Made Flesh
Krisiun: AssassiNation
Death: Individual Thought Patterns
Yyrkoon: Unhealthy Opera
Nile: In Their Darkened Shrines
Behemoth: Zos Kia Cultus
Vital Remains: Dechritianize
Immolation: Close to a World Below

Cool list, I've actually got most of them, unlike most of the othe lists where I've never even heard of most of them.
Mithras though? I never got that band, and I tried!

These lists piss me off-not because I don't like them, but because I am trying to downsize the number of downloads in my music folder to listen to, and everytime I see these lists, I see all of these albums I haven't heard before, and I go and download a bunch more.

You definitely saw it on mine, fella.

I know, they get a lot of shit on here, but to me, Apocalyptic Feasting is near the apex of "tech death". There's almost NOTHING on there I'd change. Yes, they're big on the weedly-weedlies, but dude, it's a perfect marriage, IMO.

I also tried to mix things up. I mean, if we just made a list of nothing but the "classic, pure" death metal albums then every list would be half Death, Suffo, and Morbid Angel. So I aimed for some other stuff out there that I think is still "essential listening". Shit, that's why I put PUTRIDITY on there even though the album came out like two months ago, LOL.

Understood but calling Brain Drill the apex of technical metal is a bit hard to stomach. In fact it makes me :guh:

Death "Symbolic", "The Sound of Perseverance"
Anata "The Conductors Departure"
Atheist "Unquestionable Presence"
Mid-era Gorguts

Are all 'technical' death metal albums that are light-years ahead of that wank-fest. It may be technical but what BD lacks is actual song-writing skills.:(

That's what I mean. Death and Atheist aren't really ultra-tech. They're fast and technical, but they don't take the idea to its extreme. BD runs the notion of tech-death to its logical extreme to the point where there's no breathing room, and that's what I love about them. Gorguts is close, but I dunno. Just not a big fan.

Is Brain Drill a wank-fest? Yep, but that's the idea. Make it SO dense and stifling that it's nearly impossible to figure out what's going on until you listen to it a bunch of times.

Man, I think the break that happens at 1:50 in the title track on Icons is just fucking KILLER. That ranks as one of my favorite death metal moments period.

Possessed - Seven Churches
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Atheist - Piece of Time
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Cynic - Focus
Demilich - Nespithe
Gorguts - Obscura
Immolation - Dawn of Possession
Incantation - Onward to Golgotha
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse

Honorable mentions:
Sinister - Cross the Styx
The Chasm - Deathcult for Eternity
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Infester - To the Depths...In Degradation

After getting rid of the not so ground breaking but personal favorites, the list looks sort of generic.

As far as the Brain Drill discussion goes (never were into them), the new Obscura album is the apex of the modern tech death sound imo. You cant possibly compare the style to the likes of Atheist, Gorguts, etc.

Nunslaughter - Hell's Unholy Fire (please someone find me this on CD :cry:)

I've been wanting to check out Nunslaughter for awhile, but haven't known which of their albums is the best to start with. Is this their best, or should I go with Goat?

Hell's Unholy Fire is best but impossible to find. Goat would be a good starting point. Hex is okay, but not as good as the others. as for their other 3847489542373 releases, I dont know.