Want input on list of essential Basic listening: Death Metal

Not sure how Massacra and early Sepultura are too thrashy if Possessed and early Death are not.
Who cares this list makes no sense, for a band to be ESSENTIAL to a genre, the genre would have to not exist if it weren't for them, so if you want a list of good death metal bands change the title.

Lol at removing Entombed from a list of essential death metal yet adding Necrophobic.

Not sure how Massacra and early Sepultura are too thrashy if Possessed and early Death are not.

yea, i consider Massacra much more death metal than thrash. If one of their albums belongs up here it should be Enjoy the Violence. To me there is a big difference between death/thrash and thrash/death, and the two can very easily be distinguished.

also, Left Hand Path needs to get back on this list. While not as good as some of the better albums from their fellow countrymen, no one can deny its importance to Swedish death metal. Also, Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream NEEDS to be on here, greatest metal album to come out of Sweden ... easily trumps anything from Necrophobic, Entomed or Grave.

I also agree with The Erosion of Sanity over Considered Dead, but hey, why not all three :D

Okay honestly when you're talking "essentials" you gotta make the list like 5-10 TOPS. When you're talking 30-40 albums it's no longer essentials and more like "all the really good ones".

It's essentials in order to get a general lay of the death metal land. I AM trying to streamline it though, hence posting this thread.

diSEMBOWELMENT - just kudos for even knowing what this is. Total classic, puts most other "doom" records in the ground on heaviness alone, never mind the amazing wierd ethereal bits. If you like that, I strongly recommend the first 2 albums by Finnish deathdoom band Unholy (From The Shadows and Second Ring of Power).

do you think they belong on this essentials list?

This is where the updated list stands:

Amorphis - Tales From the Thousand Lakes
Asphyx - The Rack
At The Gates - The Red In the Sky is Ours
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Autopsy - Severed Survival
Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos
Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated
Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Cynic - Focus
Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
Death - Scream Bloody Gore
Death - Spiritual Healing
Deicide - Deicide
Deicide - Legion
Demilich - Nespithe
Devourment - Molesting the Decapitated
Dismember - Like an Everflowing Stream
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Gorguts - Considered Dead
Immolation - Dawn of Possession
Incantation - Onward to Golgotha
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Necrophagist: Onset of Putrefaction
Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
Obituary - Slowly We Rot
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
Possessed - Seven Churches
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten

Who thinks Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes or something by Vader belongs on the list?

Do you think Soulside Journey belongs?

Id have some early Sinister on my list.

Good thing you added consuming impulse by pestilence.

Darkthrone essential death metal?

Agree with most of it though I think Entombed - Clandestine is their best and better than Left Hand Path by quite a bit.

I also rate Carcass's Necroticism – Descanting the Insalubrious their best album by far.

I consider Everflowing Stream slightly overrated. Entombed's first two and Carnage Recollections shit all over it anyway I M O tbh.

:lol:

That is one stupid as fuck thing to say.

What the fuck is so stupid about it you moron?

That album along with the two onder mentioned(minus Clanedstine) are widely considered to be some of the greatest metal albums to come out of Sweden.

... lol, it's unbeleivable how much of a fucking retard you are. I'll just should go ahead and echo those "you're still here? :(" posts from yesterday.

What the fuck is so stupid about it you moron?

That album along with the two onder mentioned(minus Clanedstine) are widely considered to be some of the greatest metal albums to come out of Sweden.

... lol, it's unbeleivable how much of a fucking retard you are. I'll just should go ahead and echo those "you're still here? :(" posts from yesterday.

I've never heard or read anything about that album being
"one of the best" albums from sweden, are you aware of the bands from sweden that are actually popular?

Here's a few bands from sweden that are much better than Entombed or dismember.

Amon Amarth.
Aeon.
At The Gates.
Bloodbath.
Dark Tranquillity.
Edge of Sanity.
Hypocrisy.
In Flames.
Katatonia.
Meshuggah.
Opeth.