history of death metal

Leiland said:
until their album of 1987, "Raining Blood." - (taken from anus.com)

For a website that refers to one of metals most influential albums of all time and fucks up the date and name, I am really convinced that there opinion (which you have taken as your own) about Death is absolutely correct.

hahahaha :lol:

But seriously, Death's early stuff while decent does little that Possessed didn't do before, Human involves Cynic members and ideas and isn't bad but is hardly a wonderfully innovative masterpiece, their following work combines various elements of other bands into a streamlined little package.

The Tragedy Of Man said:
Human involves Cynic members and ideas and isn't bad but is hardly a wonderfully innovative masterpiece.

To quote Humans very own booklet "All words and music by Chuck Schuldiner."

livingtodie said:
I've decided to make a "history of death metal" mix cd for my friend and thought about including all the bands that stand out as a cornerstone for the genre. And I thought about including these bands:

Sepultura, Possessed (for pioneering death metal)
Morbid Angel, Death (for solidifying the genre)
Dissection (for pioneering the gothenburg sound)
at the gates (for expanding the gothenburg sound)
Carcass, Entombed (for expanding the melodic death metal sound)
Demilich, Cryptopsy (for pioneering the technical death metal sound)
Atheist, Cynic (for pioneering the jazz death metal sound)

But I know there has to be more, such as bands that pioneered the symphonic death metal sound, and further expanded the genre of death metal itself.
So it would be awesome if you guys could help me out by naming some of the
bands that i may have missed that spawned a subgenre in death metal, or even just further expanded it. thanks!

That list sounds about right but Carcass should be under goregrind death metal though.

And I dont think it's fair that ANUS denies Death for being the pioneers for death metal just because Chuck Schuldiner becomes a Christian later. Yes, heavy metal is anti Judeo-Christian but still doesnt change the fact he helped start death metal.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
That still doesn't mean the Cynic dudes didn't influence him in his songwriting technique whatsoever.
<cynic dude> hey nig-nog, write stuff like we did its cool! your old stuff sucked ass dude, i dont want to play that kind of shit
<chuck> :( ok

"goregrind death metal" :lol:... That's not even a genre. The only Carcass cds that are grindcore are the first two. 'Necro'.. is death metal, 'heartwork' is melodic death metal, 'Swansong' foreword is not even death metal.

Yeah, I am. I'd drink myself to death because i'm such a pussy!

livingtodie said:
I've decided to make a "history of death metal" mix cd for my friend and thought about including all the bands that stand out as a cornerstone for the genre. And I thought about including these bands:

Sepultura, Possessed (for pioneering death metal)
Morbid Angel, Death (for solidifying the genre)
Dissection (for pioneering the gothenburg sound)
at the gates (for expanding the gothenburg sound)
Carcass, Entombed (for expanding the melodic death metal sound)
Demilich, Cryptopsy (for pioneering the technical death metal sound)
Atheist, Cynic (for pioneering the jazz death metal sound)

But I know there has to be more, such as bands that pioneered the symphonic death metal sound, and further expanded the genre of death metal itself.
So it would be awesome if you guys could help me out by naming some of the
bands that i may have missed that spawned a subgenre in death metal, or even just further expanded it. thanks!

Great idea. Here's what I'd include:

I. Proto-death
The Exploited
Discharge
Motorhead

II. Early Death/HC
Deathstrike
Bathory
Hellhammer
Sodom

III. Mature Musically
Possessed
Slayer
Morbid Angel

IV. The Beast
Incantation
Deicide
Suffocation

V. Swedish
Dismember
Therion
At the Gates
Unleashed

VI. Diversification
Atheist
Demilich
Cadaver

VII. Sell out and Tedium
Disgorge
Cannibal Corpse

Pull The Plug said:
It means that Chuck Schuldiner created all words and music.

And if you believe that, you'll believe almost anything. Check with the people on the first two Death albums as to how much Chuck borrowed without credit.

Note this has no bearing on his art... many great artists seem to moralists (who are scumbags) to be scumbags. But think before you speak.