Blackened Death Metal

Zephyrus

Tyrants and Slaves
Jan 18, 2006
Maine or Iowa
This thread is for discussing all those bands who blend the two pinnacles of extreme metal into a dynamic sound that is evil and atmospheric yet brutal and technical. Blackened Death Metal can take so many forms, be it straight black metal with extra technicality, or death metal with black metal themes and techniques thrown into the mix. Bands in this category can include those like Behemoth who formerly played traditional black metal and evolved more and more into the death metal vein.

Blackened death metal is what I consider the ultimate hybrid genre, and I listen to many bands that fit the dynamic description:

Arkhon Infaustus
Behemoth
Belphegor
Dissection
Melechesh
Myrkskog
Naglfar
Zyklon

(Not to derail thread, apologies in advance) .. God I can't stand Blackened Death Metal. Too accessible, and a compromise of what Black Metal is really about. Not my cup of tea at all - however, I did enjoy Behemoth when they came here, and would see them again (yet I can't stand their recorded material).

There's always been a lot of cross pollination between the two scenes, but most of the branded 'blackened death' is fucking terrible.

Blackened Death Metal is too accessible? I can see how Dissection and Naglfar's brand of the genre is more accessible, but that's for blending melodic death metal with black metal. Bands that incorporate more traditional death metal elements can't be more accessible than if they were just plain BM.

(Not to derail thread, apologies in advance) .. God I can't stand Blackened Death Metal. Too accessible, and a compromise of what Black Metal is really about. Not my cup of tea at all - however, I did enjoy Behemoth when they came here, and would see them again (yet I can't stand their recorded material).

what do you dislike about their recorded material?

i love this stuff. behemoth continues to push boundaries. Arkhon Infaustus are the best thing to come out of France, and Belphegor just own. these bands continue to push there limits, adn at teh same time continue to amaze with great skill and profiency.

i love this stuff. behemoth continues to push boundaries. Arkhon Infaustus are the best thing to come out of France, and Belphegor just own. these bands continue to push there limits, adn at teh same time continue to amaze with great skill and profiency.

Yeah, I mean, Behemoth is really pushing the boudaries of second album Morbid Angel worship.