Blackened thrash/death doesn’t sound good?

Daiena

Feb 16, 2022
europe
I’m still new to metal but I found songs that I really liked and that genre was black metal. So I wanted to hear more, people suggested bands like Marduk and Immortal, telling me they are great to start with.

I listened to their albums, mostly Immortal, and didn’t like it at all. If this was black metal then this is for sure not my thing. I gave up but found my way back through a band called Sargeist. I really liked them and soon I was discovering more and more. It was only getting better and better. I found my favorites among Akitsa, Sargeist, Revenant Marquis, Horna, Burzum, Cesium Syndrome and Mutiilation. Also Darkthrone Panzerfaust and Transilvanian Hunger are good.

When I asked about why some bands sound so horrible, like a distinct sound I couldn’t put words to, people said there are absolutely NO difference. Everything is black metal, period.

it wasn’t until just recently I found an answer to this. The bands (songs whatever) that sounded so bad played something called black n roll, blackened thrash and blackened death. Why didn’t anyone explain that to me? It would make it so much easier for me to know what to avoid and what to listen to.

Now when I want to discover new bands I found that my best bet is to search “raw black metal” to get the music I like. So when I look for raw bm, mostly, I don’t get that black n roll sound but instead great music that blowed me away because I connected instantly.

What do you think about all this? Anyone else who feels like I do? What’s your taste?

Last edited:
most newbies have to ease into BM from something lighter which is why people recommend immortal (and bands like emperor, summoning, dissection), whose later material is quite poppy and accessible, or they're coming into it from more mainstream genres like thrash in which case they'll recommend a black/thrash hybrid. sounds like you aren't one of those people though.

i will say that immortal went through distinct phases in their career, while i'm not sure they were ever a traditional 'raw black metal' band, the likes of pure holocaust and battles in the north are pretty widely beloved among raw BM fans. do you not get anything out of this?:

most newbies have to ease into BM from something lighter which is why people recommend immortal (and bands like emperor, summoning, dissection), whose later material is quite poppy and accessible, or they're coming into it from more mainstream genres like thrash in which case they'll recommend a black/thrash hybrid. sounds like you aren't one of those people though.

i will say that immortal went through distinct phases in their career, while i'm not sure they were ever a traditional 'raw black metal' band, the likes of pure holocaust and battles in the north are pretty widely beloved among raw BM fans. do you not get anything out of this?:

For me i didnt like and still dont like pure holocaust or battles in the north, the only Immortal i can listen to is maybe northern chaos gods. They sound like rock and roll almost and with raspy vocals. I do love Burzum however, especially filosofem and hvis lyset tar oss. So no i stopped listening to black metal for a while since i thought that Immortals music (also Mayhem de mysteriss dom sathanas) was the normal black metal sound. This was before i discovered the ones that i now have in my playlist on repeat:

Ondskapt, Mutiilation, Burzum, Horna, Spectral Wound, Behexen, Sargeist, Revenant Marquis (Youth in Ribbons) and Akitsa.

This was the first song i heard that really got me into black metal and i really love this sound.

Last edited:
My taste doesn't really follow genre labels and I end up listening to a handful of each. I'd be more likely to find one band from each of blackened thrash, blackened death, black 'n' roll and black metal that I like as opposed to 4 bands that all sound similar.

In response to the thread title, this black/thrash/death album is a favourite of mine. Maybe it could sound horrible to someone who hates thrash, I dunno:

The entry point that got me more into black metal was what some doom fans were listening to... Ghast, Craft and Satyricon.

I think more and more it’s because I don’t like that they make rock n roll and try put in blackened metal, this sounds horrible really. But it’s good some people like this because if not nobody would listen anymore to them.

Admitting you dont want riffs and want that black metal wallalllalalalalalallalllalllaalalla guitar sound was the first step I guess.

Or for learn idiots like you: can call it pure black metal, but I prefer to use the word clean. Because it’s clean from shit like a hybrid band that call it black metal but when listening to it it’s not black metal at all, it’s “blackened death” or “blackened thrash”. Some began with songs about the nature, and Christian bands, ehhh okey… please don’t call that shit for black metal, it confuses people who want to discover what real black metal is. Don’t say hey listen to Immortal if you want black metal. Well that shit is also not real metal (duh obviously) especially not the blackened thrash crap with that “black n roll” sound. It’s not pure black metal so don’t lie to people and give them shit that they believe is THE black metal sound they listen to when it’s some “black” metal heading big into thrash or blackened death. If you are so dumb that you can’t understand this I don’t know how to teach you. Just listen to what you like but don’t lie and confuse people that thrash groove black n roll all that shit, is the black metal. I was fooled into people told me to avoid stuff that I liked (for example Attic Precese, Transilvanian Hunger, Mutiilation) and instead start with what I absolutely hate (Immortal and Dimmu Borgir)

I asked what’s the problem with the bands I like? They say oh no it’s just that it’s bad quality and not something you would like if you getting into bm. Guess what? I learned myself that they wanted to downplay my suggestions and instead promote for black n roll mainstream shit and piss. No thank you. Happy I found out myself what is shit and what is not.

Can find on my profile here, there is true songs of real black metal. I post only the best and never post any shit. So it’s handpicked by me.
Thank me later.

Many bands are more inspired by Venom than they might realise.
Yeah, I feel I can hear some essence of rock 'n' roll in the Cesium Syndrome song posted above. Now I can't listen to it without imagining a psychobilly band covering it. The evolution of the music from blues/jazz onwards is kinda inescapable.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
*looks at a video op posted on their profile*

Homoerotic wimpy wamypirc cassette poseur shit. Dude looks like a black metal frog wrapped in a bed sheet. Attic Presence is such a shitty band name too.

Listen you shit eater, Immortal was not real clean no matter if they were first. They made pagan black n roll. So take your shitty gay music and put it in your ass.

Homoerotic wimpy wamypirc cassette poseur shit. Dude looks like a black metal frog wrapped in a bed sheet. Attic Presence is such a shitty band name too.

Wow so you just dropped some “real” shit here you little autist man whore. Good job, now take your family in your hands and go die you ugly fag.

Look at that piece of shit posted death metal and call real bm shit, haha you little retarded ugly autist please go kill yourself right now.

You post some death/thrash shit and call it the real bm yes? Fuck off you disgusting little pig who need to be slaughtered!

You are the retard here clearly, i know you are nothing but shit that need to die maybe still you know that Immortal was not pure at all, blackened thrash shit and all those real trash bands is same as you are, smells like shit and worth nothing, take your little family and get covid and die slowly.