What are BLACK METAL and DEATH METAL in true essence?

the only bands in that list that have dabbled in death metal are Darkthrone (as addressed earlier) and maybe Immortal. Their last few albums were black thrash, so it's a matter of syntax er whatever. I've never heard/seen Burzum or Satyricon classified as death metal. The only othre genre Burzum has wandered into is ambient with the last two releases.

Darkthrone released three albums that truly captured the essence of black metal. A blaze in the northern sky (less so then the other two due to the fact that black metal was still being defined as a genre when it came out. I hear it was revolutionary, but I am not a BM historian), under a funeral moon (more black and really is what black metal is all about), and transylvanian hunger (which leans more ambiant, but is a masterpiece still and definatly has the essence of black metal). Also verygreat metal is Burzum. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is the album that I feel captures the essence of black metal much better then true black metal. This leans on the ambiant side too. It is very highly regarded and in my humble opinion is the best metal album I own.

Some death metal albums that pretty much define the genre between them:

Morbid Angel: Covenant
Cannibal Corpse: Vile
Obituary: Slowly We Rot
Death: Scream Bloody Gore
Deicide: Once Upon The Cross
Suffocation: Pierced From Within

Some black metal albums that pretty much define the genre between them:

Darkthrone: Transilvanian Hunger
Emperor: Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk
Mayhem: De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Immortal: Pure Holocaust
Burzum: Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Satyricon: Nemesis Divina

Danallica said:
A question then: Bands such as Burzum, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Immortal, Satyricon; are they classed as Black metal or death metal...and, i know tihs is hard to answer, but why would they be classed as one or the other?
Black without question.

metal_wrath said:
Yeah, forgot about that, but that doesn't make them death metal, or make my post less funny, :lol:

I'm not sure that anything could have made your post less funny.

Death metal - true essence:

Though I am sick of saying it;

Carcass - Necroticism, is the true, perfect reflection of a death metal album.

Though I don't know much about Black Metal, it seems to me in terms of atmosphere (which is what I understand superior BM to be about), you still can't really beat DMDS (Mayhem).

I don't know, but there's always the (slim) chance that something I haven't heard yet will top Carcass.

Do you see ?

metal_wrath said:
1) Carcass were not that good,2) Dragonforce are horrible, 3)Pantera sucks, 4)Peer-to-peer downloading is for n00bs....

1. No.
2. Yes.
3. Not really.
4. No opinion.

Note: To troll effectively, it is often best to use humour. If you're going to turn up to a battle of wits, may I advise you not to turn up empty handed?

metal_wrath said:
Carcass were not that good, Dragonforce are horrible, Pantera sucks, Peer-to-peer downloading is for n00bs....

1. Agreed.
2. Agreed.
3. Agreed.
4. Not Agreed.