What are BLACK METAL and DEATH METAL in true essence?

frost_giant

Giant Member
Feb 8, 2006
It has recently struck me that I am badly familiar with Death and Black Metal genres in their usual form. I listen to a lot of mixed stuff, like Blackened Death Metal and so on, and also Black Metal resembling Thrash more than Black, and in addition, Death Metal leaning towards the Progressive borders(Necrophagist, Death etc.).

I'd like someone to offer a few albums that are considered masterpieces of their respective genres, show the pinnacle of the genre and also contain some historical importance.

I have realized that by listening to proggier things I am slowly losing the knowledge of what is 'real' Black and Death Metal, and I am sure that I have missed a lot of classics.

I'll go only with Black Metal because I don't know Death.

Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Bathory - The Return

Death
Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
Death - eh at least one of their albums

Black
Ulver - Nattens maderigal
Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Immortal - Sons of Nothern Darkness

If you want to uncover the true essence of Black and Death metal, you will need to dismiss all your perceptions of life. First, walk through a dark forest past a cemetary and up the highest mountain, you will be halfway done in your journey. Then you will have to forget all earthly possessions and jump off the mountain. Do NOT hesitate or you will lose all true enlightenment. After that you are on your own my friend. Oh yeah and Darkthrone are NOT death metal, and Death are TRUE pioneers of DEATH METAL, also Possessed.:)

metal_wrath said:
If you want to uncover the true essence of Black and Death metal, you will need to dismiss all your perceptions of life. First, walk through a dark forest past a cemetary and up the highest mountain, you will be halfway done in your journey. Then you will have to forget all earthly possessions and jump off the mountain. Do NOT hesitate or you will lose all true enlightenment. After that you are on your own my friend. Oh yeah and Darkthrone are NOT death metal, and Death are TRUE pioneers of DEATH METAL, also Possessed.:)

WRONG! First two recorded Darkthrone albums is pr. definition technical death metal these being Soulside Journey and Goatlord (the later released far later due to a dispute with the record lable concerning gener and various other things

ALK said:
WRONG! First two recorded Darkthrone albums is pr. definition technical death metal these being Soulside Journey and Goatlord (the later released far later due to a dispute with the record lable concerning gener and various other things
Yeah, forgot about that, but that doesn't make them death metal, or make my post less funny, :lol:

Mayhem - DMDS
Immortal - At The Heart of Winter or Pure Holocaust
Graveland - Following the Voice of Blood
Lord Belial - Enter the Moonlight Gate
Bathory - Under the Sign... and Blood Fire Death
Samael - Worship Him and Blood Ritual

Black Metal formed when regular Heavy Metal got the Black Plague, then Heavy Metal died a Thrashing Brutal Death and all Hell broke loose, BTW you can't kill something that is already Death.

ALK said:

If we're talking about the "true essence" of black metal I think Pure Holocaust would be a better example of Immortal. Their later stuff was more blackened thrash (though equally enjoyable).

And don't pay attention to metal_wrath, he is a moron who knows very little about metal but pretends to know a lot and also makes a lot of lame jokes. Another winner for this forum.

CAIRATH said:
If we're talking about the "true essence" of death metal I think Pure Holocaust would be a better example of Immortal. Their later stuff was more blackened thrash (though equally enjoyable).

And don't pay attention to me, i am a moron who knows very little about metal but pretends to know a lot and also makes a lot of lame jokes. Another loser for this forum.
Sorry but the Opeth forum are purveyors of lame jokes and overall bad taste.

ALK said:
Death
Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
Death - eh at least one of their albums

Black
Ulver - Nattens maderigal
Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky

Please. Darkthrone DO NOT define death metal. They may have made a couple of death metal albums but they are not even remotely important in the overral picture of the genre. Try Morbid Angel.

A question then: Bands such as Burzum, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Immortal, Satyricon; are they classed as Black metal or death metal...and, i know tihs is hard to answer, but why would they be classed as one or the other?