black metal vs. death metal

SunlapseVertigo said:
I think Death Metal is a lot better because there is a huge and diverse variety of Death Metal styles, where most black metal I've heard sounded very much the same and it just bores me.... there are a couple exceptions, I think Dimmu Borgir is very good and creative (funny how all the tr00 black metal fans are now starting to hate them, I think they are the best BM band)....

I expect most BM fans 'hate' Dimmu Borgir because non BM fans seem to think Dimmu Borgir are black metal when they're not.

Dimmu Borgir have more in common with thrash than they do with black metal, they're just masquerading as black with their keyboards and image.

I prefer Black Metal. There's a lot of death metal I like, but I would take a great Black Metal band like Mayhem or Darkthrone over any death metal band in the world. I prefer all aspects of the black metal aesthetic, from the sound to the image.

Shit, I love both genres, and i listen to both styles for hours each day, but in the end I have to go with blackmetal. I think it´s because the dark atmosphere and melodies is able to give me the creeps if done correctly.. Simply just more catchy, even though it doesn´t matter to me since I like brutal/technical deathmetal better (when speaking of deathmetal)...

I better shut up...

Some fool said:
Death metal is so much better. It is superior to black metal.

Actually, no. Not at all. Have you by any chance heard of Emperor? Borknagar? Go listen to Emperor's "Ye Entrancemperium" or "With Strength I Burn". Feel the melodies, the grimness, the catchiness, the wonderful atmosphere, the beauty of it all. It's sheer genius, and creates a sound image much more interesting and atmospheric than that of death metal. Death metal is great, of course, but it will never display the same beautiful and bewitching atmospheres and melodies found in black metal.

*looks at CD collection*
*notices about 180 death metal albums*
*looks harder and finds 2 black metal albums*

Obviously black metal is better. It's so much more 1337.

Just kidding. I prefer death metal myself. I believe it's much more powerful and effective in it's presentation of any emotion. Ok...almost any.

I like black metal more than death metal. I find most death metal bands boring. Doom, Thrash, Grindcore and Heavy Metal are in general better than death metal IMO.